Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts? I was looking for Ruger so I can go shoot with my kids but got offered a model 60.

Are the comparable? One better than the other?

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
What's your thoughts? I was looking for Ruger so I can go shoot with my kids but got offered a model 60.

Are the comparable? One better than the other?
Not sure what a tiger 10/22 is, but here's my opinion of the 10/22 vs Marlin 60.

The Marlin is more accurate out of the box.
The Ruger has more aftermarket parts available.
The Ruger is better built (but just slightly).
Tube feed guns are just plain cool IMO.
Assuming both are new, then they have both been turned to plastic parts over the past couple years. If one is older and metel parts, I'd choose that one.

If you want to modify the gun, the 10/22 is really the only option. If you just want a fun plinker out of the box the 60 is a pretty cool little rifle.

I will add with this. My son is 3 years old. Right now as I type there is a brand new 10/22 and a brand new Marlin 60 in the safe waiting for him when he's ready. So obviously I like both of them.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Ruger. Not a Tiger. Stupid iPhone auto correct.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
The 10/22 is much more user friendly. It also has thousands more aftermarket parts and accessories. Accuracy is a toss up. My first 22 was a Marlin 60, but I've moved on to the 10/22. It is simply a superior platform.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Both are good guns in my own opinion. I think both of them are pretty accurate out of the box too. If you’re just going to shoot it and have no intentions of ever building it into a target gun, then go with the Marlin 60.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
If you decide later, that you want an economical target gun to build up, then you can always purchase a Ruger 10/22 later. After all, they are only around $200.00 new. Cheaper if you pick up a used one.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
466 Posts
I prefer the 10/22 because it is magazine fed. I have experience with two tube feed guns, my dads Browning lever 22 and my Remington 572 field master, they are a little gangly to reload in my opinion.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The Marlin model 60 was the first gun I bought on my own. I don't know how many thousands of rounds have been through it with wonderful reliability and very low maintenance. It also seems to eat cheap bulk 22 better than anything else I've tried. I've had 2 failures in all these years/rounds, and they were just bad .22 bulk rounds.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Both are good guns in my own opinion. I think both of them are pretty accurate out of the box too. If you’re just going to shoot it and have no intentions of ever building it into a target gun, then go with the Marlin 60.<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /--><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If you decide later, that you want an economical target gun to build up, then you can always purchase a Ruger 10/22 later. After all, they are only around $200.00 new. Cheaper if you pick up a used one.<o:p></o:p>
Then after you finish you'll have an amazing .22 rifle and a $200 Ruger 10/22 left over. :tongueout:

(just joking around, everyone keep your blood pressure in check)

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
I like both. But, I prefer the 10/22.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Looks like I'll wait for a Ruger 10/22 then.

·
12,970 Posts
Shot many of both, owned 2 Model 60s as pure plinkers.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have a Marlin 60, circa 1978 or so..I also have a Ruger Charger ( based on the 10/22 platform)...My 60 has had thousands of rds thru it..Other than cleaning, nothing to do but shoot it...The Charger has a terrible trigger in comparison to the 60...Could be the countless rds thru the 60 or that it has more metal parts...

As far as the mag/tube fed...I did not like the standard 10 rd mag Ruger..I replaced it with a Butler Creek, steel lips, 25 rd...
My 60 is a older model , so it has the 17 rd tube..New ones are 14?...

My 60 has served me well, I would be hard pressed to say anything negative about it...The Charger, just may have to have more rds thru it to improve the trigger, or I'll have to switch it out with a lighter one..

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I've never shot a Model 60 before, but IMHO, it's the ugliest 22 rifle ever made. I can't explain why. That alone is enough to keep me from wanting one. Good guns I'm sure based on what others have said.

I could say the same thing about the 10/22 in it's basic carbine model I suppose. Maybe not "ugly" but just sort of boring. I never wanted one either...until I saw a DSP model. With it's checkered walnut, or even the DSP style hardwood "Wally World Special"...well it's just a different gun to look at. That was enough to sell me on them. They shoot plenty well enough for me.

The laminated green one is my one consession to the standard carbine.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Then after you finish you'll have an amazing .22 rifle and a $200 Ruger 10/22 left over. :tongueout:

(just joking around, everyone keep your blood pressure in check)
Years ago, I had a Marlin 60. They are good rifles. They just have their limitation, that’s all. Since, I sold the model 60 I have owned a few Ruger 10/22’s.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
My first one, I added different sights and the plastic heat shield or cover with a different barrel band to make it look similar to a M1 Carbine. My current Ruger 10/22 is a 20 inch barrel model, that I bought new about 3 years ago and I have sunk a small fortune in it. <o:p></o:p>
Now, My Marlin model 80, which is a bolt action, detachable 7 round magazine with a Redfield Target rear sight is the bomb. Friends always want to buy it from me. I always say no. :supergrin:<o:p></o:p>

·
Huge Member
11,575 Posts
I have both. Prefer the detachable mag of the Ruger, though Marlin makes a detachable magazine 22 called the 795 which is a fun little rifle and cheap.

Never liked the forward loading tube feds. They are slow to load and unload and never liked he idea of having my hand out in front of the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've always had Marlin model 60's and now my sons' have the same.

I've never really understood the need to fix up/modify something to make it a better target gun.Now i do agree about the mag and having your hand in front of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I had a Marlin 60 as my first rifle. I loved it - accurate, reliable, and looked nice to me. It balanced well and was nice to hunt with. I'm on my second 10/22 now - really like the compact proportions and availability of aftermarket parts. Mine is SS with a Butler Creek folding stock and a Tasco PDP red dot sight. The 10/22 isn't as accurate as a model 60 out of the box, and I stuck with the factory barrel. I built my 10/22 to be a handy camping/truck/fun rifle, and it serves that purpose very well. It won't win any benchrest competitions.

I never took my model 60 apart, as it looked like it might be difficult to reassemble. The 10/22 is fairly easy to work on. Here's my 10/22.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts