Ticks

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Glock17193643, Jun 13, 2020.

1. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

All of my hiking and camping gear gets Sawyer's Permethrin (keep away from cats until completely dry). For flying critters I use Ben's 100% DEET. Accept no substitute :supergrin:

redrick, ruffhunter and Sfaql like this.
  2. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

Do you ever feel them crawling up your legs? Having hairy legs and wearing shorts really helps. It makes it easy to feel them crawling up your legs. When I do get bit by one it is usually on my upper thighs or behind my knee where they are easy to remove.

Women have a harder time feeling them crawling up since they have smooth legs. And a lot of them wear long pants tucked into their socks since that is common advice for avoiding ticks. So the ticks crawl all the way up and dig into their scalps where they are hard to get out without help. A couple of women I sometimes hike with insist on using some sort of natural insect repellent instead of DEET, which is the only one that really works.

Hairy legs, shorts and plenty of DEET is the best way to avoid getting bit by ticks. So women get bit more often.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.

3. Dragline

Dragline

Yup. And ask your PCP for a prescription for it. The prescription strength 2.5% works nicer than the OTC 1% and it can actually end up costing less too.

4. RPK Clone

RPK Clone

Pretty heavy with them here in north central south Carolina, also.
    I had two of those bastiges on me yesterday :fist:

5. rainman33

rainman33

Seriously, you need to go to the doctor. Lyme disease can be very serious if untreated and a “bullseye” like ring is often the first symptom.

6. glock collector

glock collector

We have a ton this year in mn, bought a new sprayer just to combat the lil buggers. With 70 acres to treat, and multiple applications each year I spend some dough.

7. papershoot

papershoot

They have been bad here some years, but I have not noticed them this year. I have Permethrin concentrate to spray around the house if ticks or chiggers become a problem. I have been thinning out the rodent population, so that might help with ticks.

8. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

The real question is:

How much wood would a wood tick tick, if a wood tick could tick wood?

Intolerant and Dave Lively like this.
  9. K. Foster

K. Foster

I'll bet you do. :D

10. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Allow me to second this. The red "bullseye" circle is a classic symptom. Lyme is nothing to take likely. Go see your Dr., and soon.

11. unit 900

unit 900

Seconding this. Treatment is a one time antibiotic dose (doxycycline). Lyme's can be asymptomatic and be attacking your heart for years. I've had it twice and if I have a deer tick burrowed in now, I just get the pill. Blood testing is useless once you've had Lyme's, it will always show positive.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  12. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Tick's get bad here once a year when the ranches round their cattle up for the drive up into the high country. I live near where the cattle are gathered together for the drive. The raccoons bring the ticks into town and spread them among the dogs and cats that go outside. I've heard just pulling the ticks off is bad, but that's how I do it.

13. kwijybo

kwijybo

Any idea on the effects on bees?
    Bad ticks here in W-TN. They love me unless I deep woods off.

Caver 60 likes this.
  14. railfancwb

railfancwb

T
    The ones I had moved next door.

orangejeep06 and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  15. Larry302

Larry302

Use Sawyers on all boots, shoes and hunting clothes . Check yourself , and shower when returning to home .

Many will never get the “ bullseye “ ring an frankly thats a late start to combat it . Where I live a tick bite means a trip to the dr due to all the Lyme disease here . He’ll start you on the drugs before the blood work comes back .

my daughters yard , note the browse line .... they bed in her yard next to the deck while she grills dinner on it . EC9896DE-606B-466F-9B13-5AC758E4E8DC.png

16. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

get picardin and pemethrin. one for skin the other for clothes. i never put on skin. just use both on clothes. one is supposed to kill them. DEET is NOT for ticks, just skeeters. about 5-8yrs ago we got these pencil tip sized red ticks. they look just like a freckle and near impossible to see or feel. turkey hunting takes a new set of clothes each day now. i strip down outside camp and trash bag each set, then shower after a mirror check. Once im out of camo, i dont go back out hunting because they have gotten so bad the last few years.

K. Foster and Caver 60 like this.
  17. Caver 60

Caver 60

Ticks are real bad around here. I've already had at least a couple dozen get 'dug in' on me. And I've picked several dozen more off, before they got dug in. With 142 acres and cattle all over the place, it's almost impossible to avoid. I'm outside just about every day

I have two friends in the last couple years that have been infected. One got Lime disease. One got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. And we're about 1,000 miles away from the Rockies.

K. Foster and orangejeep06 like this.
  18. Deltic

Deltic

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/nematodes-ticks-72724.html
    "Entomopathogenic nematodes have several advantages over chemical control. They are safe for humans and pets. No special safety equipment or masks are required. No re-entry time needs to be considered and they are safe for pollinators, such as bees."

orangejeep06 and kwijybo like this.
  19. nursetim

nursetim

I saw a picture of a tick in a dog’s gum line, sent shivers down my spine. I wonder if a dog get bit by the lone star tick, do they develop the same problem with red meat products?

20. Deltic

Deltic

Chickens or turkeys should do the same. I am not sure what bird works best.

Ross-in-Pa likes this.