GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bitter American
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nice and sunny here in south central Kentucky, 60 miles north of Nashville. Let the dog out earlier and when she came in I noticed a black speck on her back. I picked it off and damned if wasn't a tick. My dog is a pure white lab mix and the tick was easy to spot. I thought ticks and bugs would have been killed by the low temps we've been having but I guess not. This is the earliest I've ever seen one here.

·
Native Mainiac
21,856 Posts
Yup....little buggers just snooze a bit during the winter...at the first sign of things warming up they're back on the bushes waiting to hitch a ride and a meal on whatever walks by.

They've become a real problem around here in the past 10 years or so with Lyme disease. Luckily, they don't seem to like me very much and I've only had one on me....and that was not at my shack.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I've had them on my clothing as late as December up here. I'd bet January and February are the only months they're not active. Nasty little critters. My wife pulled one off the cat last summer that had a tick on top of the one on the cat. Never seen that before.

·
Native Mainiac
21,856 Posts
I've had them on my clothing as late as December up here. I'd bet January and February are the only months they're not active. Nasty little critters. My wife pulled one off the cat last summer that had a tick on top of the one on the cat. Never seen that before.
Maybe the two ticks were making baby ticks??

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had a deer tick buried in my back up to it's hind legs last year. The wife pulled it out after a couple minutes struggle. It was 2 days before I could go to the Doctor and I already had the bullseye rash. I had to do 10 days of Doxycycline.
They are nasty in the southern tier of NY now. Everyone is getting them

·
Bitter American
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a deer tick buried in my back up to it's hind legs last year. The wife pulled it out after a couple minutes struggle. It was 2 days before I could go to the Doctor and I already had the bullseye rash. I had to do 10 days of Doxycycline.
I had one buried in my back above my hip last year. My wife, who can't see crap, tried to tweeze it out but ended up just gouging me pretty good. Had to finally go to urgent care to get it out and get an antibiotic shot.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Maybe the two ticks were making baby ticks??
No,it was actually smaller than the one on the cat which was huge. This one was feeding on the bigger tick,truly gross. If my wife has the picture still i'll try to post it later.

·
Native Mainiac
21,856 Posts
I had one buried in my back above my hip last year. My wife, who can't see crap, tried to tweeze it out but ended up just gouging me pretty good. Had to finally go to urgent care to get it out and get an antibiotic shot.
Ha-Ha....my older brother had one on his back while I was visiting him. I could see it pretty good, but took the opportunity to pinch the beejeezus out of him for a while with the tweezers and forceps for a while. Payback for 50 year old nuggies. I've always been the patient type....and I never forget some things....

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
They seem to like my back as well, and they burrow in; I had one in my armpit once, that hurt like hell after it came out, took a chunk of meat with it.

·
Caffeinator
5,567 Posts
Oh man, a memory from childhood just came back to me. I had a tick buried deep in my scrotum. I couldn't get it out. Oh, how I tried. I ended up using a match to convince it to come out. I still remember that smell of burning pubic hair.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have pulled two of my one dog, both on her face in the last few days. she sure knows how to find them. I am surprised too. they seem particularly active in the spring and fall here.

Little bastards...

If you've never pulled one off your junk, you ain't livin'! 😒
bud I would be lying if I said I haven't. what shocked me it was up north and in the winter. I woke up and said what the HECK is this? made the lady get it out. I could not believe it.

Mosquitoes are out here already too. Nothing kills those bastids.
I got tore up by the sand gnats today. it was 70 here, probably same by you... 2 weeks from now this will be my cologne again until May

I hate the things

1 - 16 of 16 Posts