Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a .44 Special Thunder Ranch at a local gun shop. Condition is virtually perfect. Not a mark on it. In fact it may be new. I have not yet asked the owner of the shop. In the wooden case. No cardboard carton, etc. Priced at $500 plus tax. I would like a nice .44 Special. Is this a good price. Would it be better to look for a 4" M-29? It is fixed sights. Round blade front... wider than I expected. Didn't know any better and thought when I first saw it that it was a .45ACP. Suggestions, etc., appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I found a .44 Special Thunder Ranch at a local gun shop. Condition is virtually perfect. Not a mark on it. In fact it may be new. I have not yet asked the owner of the shop. In the wooden case. No cardboard carton, etc. Priced at $500 plus tax. I would like a nice .44 Special. Is this a good price. Would it be better to look for a 4" M-29? It is fixed sights. Round blade front... wider than I expected. Didn't know any better and thought when I first saw it that it was a .45ACP. Suggestions, etc., appreciated.
Bruce, if I saw a S&W TR revolver in the condition you describe and at that price I would not sleep until it was in my safe. Great price in my part of the country and a really nice piece. Buy it!

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
Really good price. The only downside is the fixed sights, but that's minor. I will jump on the first .45 version I find around that price.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wow, that gun dealer is really trying to rip you off! That price is way too high! This has me so upset, that a dealer would do this to a customer, that I think I need to give him a piece of my mind! Please PM me the contact info for this dealer so I can do so as soon as possible!

:whistling:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hand the guy 5 bills and run like HELL, before he adds another $150.00 to the price.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know what to do. I serve two small churches as pastor. Last night I was informed that they are going to ask for a new pastor in June. I will have to move the same week my daughter is getting married. I'm going to go tomorrow and see if I can put the revolver on layaway. I don't know if they do that at that shop. I thought the .45 ACP would be better. But I've not seen one other than a 625-2 Model of 1988 that I bought from this same shop about 2 years ago. I can hand load ammunition for this 21. I went by the shop today after doing a Bible study at a local nursing home. The revolver is truly beautiful. Maybe they'll do the layaway. We'll see. Maybe I can get a chance to do a side job and make some extra money.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
read the ballistics on a 44sp. it's an excellent sd/hd round without the big 44mag recoil. i want a 629 so i can shoot both.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have been doing some reading. Please note the revolver I have been looking at is a M-21 .44 Special Thunder Ranch S&W revolver. Apparently S&W only made the .44 Special version w/ K-frame sized grip except about 2005-2006. What I saw is not the M-325 Thunder Ranch revolver which is in .45 ACP. I need to make sure I've got my facts straight. From what I've read and from what everyone seems to be telling me here and at the S&W forum, it appears that the M-21 is a good deal. I just thought it only came in .45 ACP. Maybe they'll be willing to work some type of layaway.

·
Registered
14,665 Posts
The 21 Thunder Ranch gun came out in .44sp first if I remember correctly. Clint Smith chose it. Later the 22 came out in .45.

·
JAFO
14,056 Posts
I wouldn't pass it up for $500.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
It is a good gun at a good price. The Thunder Ranch logo on the side plate is a little much for me, but it is on the side plate which can be replaced with a plain one from S&W parts. Fixed sight S&W revolvers are very accurate to the load they are designed to shoot. My model 10 and 64 as well as model 36 are all very accuarte guns.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing some selling of items "surplus to my needs," I took a drive over to the local gun shop and took another look at the M-21-4 .44 Special Thunder Ranch S&W revolver. It has been sold to a local individual. He brought it and a number of other guns in and sold them back to the shop. He told the shop owner it was never fired. From my examination, I would say that it is unfired. In the next few days, that will likely change, just as soon as I can find some .44 Special ammo. Right now I only have one box of Cowboy loads using 240 gr. lead flatnosed bullets. If I can't find anything else, I'll just go ahead and fire these. It was priced at $550 plus tax. I had been told they would sell it to me for $500 plus tax. I ended up getting it for $490 plus tax. I just couldn't get them to ignore the tax! But, $525 seemed O.K. to me.

The revolver is simply perfect in every respect. It comes in a fitted wood case with a glass top that has the Thunder Ranch logo etched into the underside of the glass. The revolver is a 21-4 with the Thunder Ranch logo on the sideplate in gold. It has a roundbutt grip with smooth combat type grips. The trigger and hammer are I think MIM items as the trigger has a hollow back and the hammer is flat faced with the firing pin mounted in the frame. This revolver has a lock. I figure sooner or later I'll buy a plug for it. The grip fits perfectly. It is just about perfect for my hand as it is K frame size which for me is ideal. The timing on the action is perfect. The single-action is what one would expect from a S&W revolver. The double-action is smooth and even with the cylinder locking before the hammer breaks.

As soon as my wife comes home from work, I will take some photos and get them up so that everyone can take a look and see what they think.

I think that just as soon as I can I will contact El Paso Saddlery and order up one of the Austin holsters. Until then, I'm going to find me a Uncle Mikes hip holster so I can enjoy carrying this revolver on some of my walks in the woods.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
After doing some selling of items "surplus to my needs," I took a drive over to the local gun shop and took another look at the M-21-4 .44 Special Thunder Ranch S&W revolver. It has been sold to a local individual. He brought it and a number of other guns in and sold them back to the shop. He told the shop owner it was never fired. From my examination, I would say that it is unfired. In the next few days, that will likely change, just as soon as I can find some .44 Special ammo. Right now I only have one box of Cowboy loads using 240 gr. lead flatnosed bullets. If I can't find anything else, I'll just go ahead and fire these. It was priced at $550 plus tax. I had been told they would sell it to me for $500 plus tax. I ended up getting it for $490 plus tax. I just couldn't get them to ignore the tax! But, $525 seemed O.K. to me.

The revolver is simply perfect in every respect. It comes in a fitted wood case with a glass top that has the Thunder Ranch logo etched into the underside of the glass. The revolver is a 21-4 with the Thunder Ranch logo on the sideplate in gold. It has a roundbutt grip with smooth combat type grips. The trigger and hammer are I think MIM items as the trigger has a hollow back and the hammer is flat faced with the firing pin mounted in the frame. This revolver has a lock. I figure sooner or later I'll buy a plug for it. The grip fits perfectly. It is just about perfect for my hand as it is K frame size which for me is ideal. The timing on the action is perfect. The single-action is what one would expect from a S&W revolver. The double-action is smooth and even with the cylinder locking before the hammer breaks.

As soon as my wife comes home from work, I will take some photos and get them up so that everyone can take a look and see what they think.

I think that just as soon as I can I will contact El Paso Saddlery and order up one of the Austin holsters. Until then, I'm going to find me a Uncle Mikes hip holster so I can enjoy carrying this revolver on some of my walks in the woods.
Congrats! Look forward to the pics!

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
I can't abide by the safety lock wheelguns, so I wouldn't buy it for any cost more than, say, $200. Seriously. the only way I'd buy a safety lock SW is to do it ridiculously cheap and then buy/trade it for something else.

·
woo woo
31,041 Posts
I'm okay with the safety lock, even for $500 for a gun like the OP's.
Nice find, I just got into a .44sp myself, fun shooters.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"I wouldn't buy it for any cost more than, say, $200." This is the first S&W revolver I've bought with a lock. I have not found any nice revolvers for anywhere near $200. I recently found a S&W 10-6 with some significant damage to the finish for $275 plus tax. I might could have got it for $250 or so, and it was mechanically in good condition, but the finish issues were significant. In my area just about any kind of nice S&W revolver is going to cost no less than $400 or so. If it is stainless steel, etc., your looking at well over $500 or more. I figured I could put a plug in if the lock turned out to be a problem. And for $500, I figured this revolver was worth it. JMHO.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't buy it simply because of the lock.
You are of course entitled to your own opinion. There are many older model S&W revolvers available for sale. There are however few if any of the fixed sight type .44 Special S&W revolvers available for sale. And when found, their price is far higher than $500. This 21-4 has a lock... for now. Later, it may have a plug. But now or later, it is a beautifully fitted and finished .44 Special revolver that with reasonable care should last the rest of my life. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts