throating a aftermarket barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by scottyd2506, Nov 29, 2019.

1. scottyd2506

scottyd2506

Just bought an alphawolf 6.6 inch threaded 45 acp barrel for my G21, There is absolutly no freebore in this barrel. just the chamber, then rifling, I want to have it throated to accept larger bullets. and load to mag length. As I have read the Alphawolf line is Nitate salt bath hardened, and requires a carbide reamer, most smiths I talk to cant even rent those remaers.
    anyone know of a good online smith who can throat my barrel?

thanks

2. Fatelvis

Fatelvis

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

You might be able to talk Doug into doing a nitrided barrel. He may the only guy out there who gets the custom tooling to do the job. Will set you back $85

ETA, sell alpha wolf on eBay and buy a KKM. Send them some dummy rounds and they will throat it extra long for you. That option would give a better quality barrel.

also, dont run hot 45 SUPER from a fluted AW barrel.

4. scottyd2506

scottyd2506

KKm will NOT throat a barrel, I just got one from them a few months ago, it barely has any throat, but the Alpha wolf and Barsto I got had None at all.. the guy at KKM called me after I sent dummy rounds is and said they cant throat them that long... They wasnt even that long.
    I will say best to get a KKM and have a smith throat it... KKm made me a threaed 45 acp G21 barrel at 6.2 inches (as long as they could make it), charged the same as normal threaded barrel..

Yes as Meeseeks has said, ppl have blown AW barrels up, the flutting, esp on 45 barrels is not friendly to higher pressure rounds. Fluting can causes mini stress fractures. fluting may be ok on a nice thick rifle barrel, not good on pistols.
    thanks for help guys, I'm passing on info for other to gather.

I sent my AW back to lonewolf for a refund (although I bought other barrels from them afterwards, not fluted), got a KKM, sent it to Es350 for throating and brake.

5. Fatelvis

Fatelvis

Doug throated a barrel for me from a Springfield Mod2, which is nitrated, and he did wonderful work. Hardly any ammo would pass the plunk test before throating.