Three pit bulls kill 9-year-old girl

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rotn1

Rotn1

Certainly a terrible situation. A dog thinking it is supposed to protect its property and family member from someone who is no threat....... and the person supposed to be in control not having any control.
    That was a recipe for disaster.
    Glad things turned out all right.

2. Rotn1

Rotn1

Glockbug likes this.

3. Rotn1

Rotn1

I think it is right to focus on the owners and I think you are right to question who owns them.
    Did they deliberately choose the breed because they want to be Billy Bad Ass, did they just go to a rescue and picked whatever was available or are they knowledgeable owners with experience with the breed.
    I would respectfully suggest that a good responsible owner, who has properly socialized and trained their dog would not be a problem.
    Unfortunately the latter is becoming more of a rarity.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    badge315 and Glockbug like this.
  4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Not to dog pile on you but... That's fatal bites.

The accompanying article also noted that 5 million people each year gets bitten by dogs. And of those 5 million bites each year, Pit bulls were responsible for the highest percentage of reported bites across all the studies (22.5%), followed by mixed breeds (21.2%), and German shepherds (17.8%). In addition, mixed-breed dogs and pit bulls were also found to have the highest average damage per bite.

Sounds like a canine caliber war!

5. Rotn1

Rotn1

I can’t give you the exact dates but there have been clear cycles of dog breeds being vilified over the years.
    This coincided with breed popularity and owners choosing a dog for the wrong reasons..... or simply for being incompetent / oblivious.
    I think German Shepard’s were the first. Then it was Doberman. Then Rottweilers. Now Pitt Bulls.
    If you notice many times what are called Pitt Bulls today are Pitt Bull mixes. The really big ones are Pitt Bull - Mastiff mixes.
    It’s just the Pitt Bulls turn in the barrel.
    I have every confidence that another breed will become popular and displace the Pitt Bull. Maybe a Cane Corso, Dogo, Pressa or Fila.
    Or Maybe the backyard breeders will just keep mixing what was the Pitt Bull until they have completely destroyed it.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    badge315 likes this.
  6. Rotn1

Rotn1

As these are only the reported bites we can assume the “real” number of total dog bites is a multiple of what is reported.
    Logic suggests the proportionally worse the bite the more likely it will be reported. Dachshunds and poodles not so much.... Pitt Bulls and Rottie's yep.

syntaxerrorsix and Patchman like this.
  7. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Very cute, loving, funny, loyal and obedient as puppies... (easily controlled) they identify with their pack, their alpha.

Crappy Alpha? Poor Dog will reflect that fact.

Multiply X 3 (K9s). Crappy Alpha. Problems for ALL (potential is there you gotta admit)

Even w/ good Alpha's and on leash (at park) I've watched 2 bullys (whom I spoke with daily, petted, got smiles, wags, licks on face etc... good bullys IMO) take small K9s RFN while on leash. Little dogs not doing a thing other than walking on leash in Park with young female owners... BAM! Alpha is surprised!!!??? Hmmm

So... twice in thousands of K9/People or K9/K9 interaction...? Twice! (anecdotal stats didn't help the little dogs or their young ladies one iota!)

All it takes in once... (multiply X 3)

A child on a bike is not a bull in a pit...

Dog Control. I'm all for it. Control Your Dog(s). Be Responsible. (check your homeowners or renters insurance policy and make sure all shots are up to date!)

Because if these were my dogs (or yours) and they took an innocent life... no words could describe my fatal impotence at animal husbandry, my self loathing rage or remorse for the victim's passing due to me and mine rectal cranial inversion (and too much dog power for Baba to handle... we ain't talking chihuahua/.22's here, but 500 magnum bullies.)

That Is All

8. seang23or32

seang23or32

Rotn1, you mentioned the Cane Corso, seems like I am running across more people that are picking this breed. It is funny to hear them say Cane and not "Canye" which is the proper way to pronounce it. I don't correct them as I don't want to sound douchy LOL. From what I have read, the Cane Corso and Presa Canario have a more agressive nature than English Mastiffs, Bull Mastiffs and Dogue De Bordeauxs. Probably why they are starting to become popular, those are the next bad ass dogs to have.

I spent about 3 years working with a dog rescue, came across plenty of pitt/pitt mixes. Can't say I would have wanted to keep or adopt any of them. Never had one of those fosters bite/attack me but plenty had their switch flip and went after another dog. One I had to pry his mouth open with my bare hands because he clamped down on my English Mastiff's head. Another it took repeated blows to her head to get her loose from a GSD's shoulder. It was almost always when not if we were going to have an issue with a pitt attacking another dog.

I hate to sound elitist but I do think a major part of the problem is the socio-economic class that chooses pitts. Of course there are people that purchase American Staffordshire Terriers from reputable breeders for thousands of dollars and those dogs are not the ones you hear about mawling little kids and other dogs. Pitt bulls are cheap, there are millions of them out there and more backyard breeding everyday. Have a litter, sell them for $100 out of the back of your pick up truck at Walmart. People that buy dogs like that generally are not going to train them or responsibly keep them restrained.

I have a Bull Mastiff that I adopted at maybe 2 years old. She is over exhuberant when meeting new people out in public. Because she is so big I am very careful where I take her and how we approach people. I realize that she can knock someone over easily trying to get attention so I make sure I don't put us in a situation where she can hurt someone. I take full responsibility for my dog's nature, many people don't or won't.

badge315 and Rotn1 like this.
  9. Bus007

Bus007

Excellent post

Rotn1 likes this.
  10. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

My best friend has two pits that are just pups, maybe 6 months old, they’re not aggressive to humans YET but have decimated his chickens to the point he has to keep them in a cage, they love to kill just for the sake of it , if they were mine they would be hanging from a tree long time ago.
    **** E’m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  11. Wurger

Wurger

When was the last time you heard of a pack of golden retrievers drag down a kid and kill her.
    Calling B.S.

Syclone0538 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  12. Jud325

Jud325

If the Goldens came from my breeding stock, it is possible the child could suffocate from all the licking. LOL

Jade Falcon and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  13. Wurger

Wurger

I'm really heartbroken right now. I can't explain it," he said. "Just, every time I close my eyes, man, I see my baby girl."

I’m a dog lover but I hate most of this wretched breed. Cesar Millan has blood on his hands for making this genetically abhorrent breed so popular. They attract the dirtbags of the human race. The kid in the article looks like my niece when she was younger.
    Have everyone of these dogs fixed.
    Destroy any that show aggression.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam
    Pit Bull is not a single breed. Its a class of dogs, and includes almost every dog of any breed that looks anything like the classic block headed, short coated, muscled dog that the stereotypical "Pittbull" is labeled as.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that a class of dogs has more bites than any other single breed......

badge315, Stevekozak, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the GAUs gleam

Ignoring for a moment, the stupidity of your argument.

What do you think would happen if we thanos snapped every breed of dog that gets lumped into the "pit bull" class in the world?

Do you think the people who want those powerful, aggressive animals, and are breed them without any knowledge, or care to the temperament of animals they produce, or the requirements for owning such an animal, would simply decide not to have a dog?

The whole ban/sterilize pit bulls diatribe is a flawed argument, because you're not addressing the root cause of the issue. You're band aiding a symptom.

badge315, Stevekozak and Rotn1 like this.
  16. jd4223

jd4223

Was fishing along a very popular/populated river 1 weekend when I heard people screaming and observed them all running towards my direction. Saw a skinny young guy being dragged by a Bull Mastiff while holding the dogs' leash. All the while the dog is barking in an aggressive manner while what appeared to be chasing people. At this time I pulled out my Glock 40 cal while taking cover behind a tree. The guy being dragged by the dog started yelling at me not to shoot his dog. About the time the dog was approx 10 yards from me I started to take aim. All of a sudden some stranger grabbed the dogs' leash and both guys were able to stop the dog from chasing everybody. Next thing I know,the skinny guy(owner of the dog) wants to fight me. When I declined his invitation to fight,he called the cops on me. Cops showed up which caused the dog to go into attack mode which caused the cops to shoot the dog. This caused the dogs' owner to front off the cops for shooting his dog causing the cops to arrest the dog owner.Talk about somebody who had no business being a dog owner,he could have been a poster child.

17. Rotn1

Rotn1

Bull Mastiff’s are awesome. Best of luck with yours.

18. Rotn1

Rotn1

Sad story indeed.
    Exuberant goofy dog got shot because of no training / no control by owner.
    Shame

Stevekozak likes this.
  19. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.