Three pit bulls kill 9-year-old girl

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IvanVic, Aug 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

No they are not. Here is how the law reads in Broward:

Dangerous Dog Laws in Broward County

Pitbulls are not specifically banned in Broward County, but according to section 4-2 of Broward County, Florida, Code of Ordinances ownership of any “dangerous dog” carries with it specific responsibilities under the law.

A “dangerous dog” is defined as one that:

• Approached any person unprovoked in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack on public streets, sidewalks, parks, etc.
    • Killed or caused the death of a domestic animal off its owner’s or keeper’s property while unprovoked, or was involved in two or more incidents of severely injuring a domestic animal
    • Aggressively bitten, attacked, endangered, killed or otherwise inflicted severe personal injury on a human—which could have happened on either public or private property
    • Been trained for dog fighting or used primarily for dog fighting
    And the owners of these animals must:

• Register the dangerous dog and obtain a dangerous dog license tag within 14 days of the classification of dangerousness
    • Pay for an approved electronic animal identification device (microchip) to be implanted in the animal
    • Renew the special license tag annually
    • Display warning signs on the premises of the dangerous dog—the sign must be capable of being read from the public highway or street
    • Maintain a proper enclosure for the dangerous dog if outdoors, keep the dog securely confined indoors, or if the dog is not so confined, it must be muzzled and kept on a leash.
    • Special care must be taken if the dog is transported, and if the dangerous dog somehow becomes loose or unconfined, notify the proper division immediately.
    • If the dangerous dog is sold or given away, the name, address and telephone number of the new owner must be provided

2. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

3. SK2344

SK2344

I don't know anything about dog breeding, just letting you know about what Broward County is doing here in Florida! I have a lot of experience with German Shepherd Work Dogs and I had one in my Patrol Vehicle for 10 years at a Gated Community here in Florida. I went to a Dog Training School and learned how to handle them with all phases of their disciplines but I know nothing about Breeding. What I do know is that there seems to be an abnormal amounts of deaths related to Pit Bulls and this either has to be Strongly Regulated or Stopped!

Caver 60 and mike from st pe like this.
  4. Jonesee

Jonesee

My neighbor had a little longhaired lapdog. She was in her driveway with the dog.

Another neighbor was walking her Great Dane. The Dane saw the little dog and bolted for it. It was stronger than the lady holding its leash.

It attacked the little dog unprovoked and killed it. The neighbor lady tried to save her little dog and the Dane chewed her up bad enough an ambulance had to be called to take her to the hospital.

The police had animal control show up right then and the Dane was hauled away never to be seen again. The owner of the Dane lawyered up immediately. The lawsuit is gonna be big. I don't know about criminal charges against the owner of the Dane but I wouldn't be surprised.

I researched Great Danes because I thought they were always cuddly like a huge Lab. I learned they aren't and some list them as a dangerous breed. Live and learn.

Oh, and this was in Broward County.

Rotn1, mike from st pe and jimcorbin like this.
  5. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Butt-Hurt like that little girl’s father?

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Handguns kill and maim more than Pitbulls. Should they be strongly regulated or stopped? And as far as you being trained in all disciplines of K9 work, but yet know nothing of breeding, well let's just say I don't think you want to go there.

badge315 and Rotn1 like this.
  7. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Except that Broward county hasn't banned pitbulls....

Rotn1 likes this.
  8. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

So handguns are capable of attacking and killing people? News to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I'm sure he is devastated. And rightfully so. But his emotions are his. You're trying to bring those emotions into your argument and it has no place here. Just because you feel the way you feel, doesn't make it right. I'm not saying keep or get rid of any breed. Because I don't have the right to tell anyone what they can or can't have. And neither do you.

badge315, Gray Dood, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  10. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Where did I say attack? Do they kill? Well I worked a homicide Monday night where a guy was shot and killed with a .22 lr hand gun. Although the shooter pulled the trigger, the bullet penetrated the victims chest and he died from the GSW. But I still don't think guns should be regulated. At all.

11. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

If anyone can please show me a breed standard for a PITBULL, please post it on here. Not a Staffordshire terrier, or an American bulldog, or a Cane Corso, but a PITBULL.

12. jp 19

jp 19

13. OldDad

OldDad

It's neither here nor there, but when I was 5 or 6 I was attacked by a pit bull. If it hadn't knocked me off my feet it would have ripped off my left cheek. It barely missed my eye. The left side of my face was black for what seemed like many months. For a kid, to look different like that was traumatic.

My question about pit bulls is WHY? I know that thugs and wannabe toughs want them, because it's like a form of open carry. "I'm dangerous." What puzzles me is why ordinary, well-intentioned people choose pits. Are they more loving than any other breed? No. Are they more handsome than any other breed? No. Do they have the best temperment of any breed? No.

Do they have the capability to kill? YES.

Caver 60 and ChuteTheMall like this.
  14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

They don't.

mike from st pe likes this.
  15. Rotn1

Rotn1

I am not going to argue the math or statistics with you. I will simply point out that very very many mixed breed dogs get mistaken for Pitt Bulls when assessing blame.

Statistically you do have a greater chance of being hit by lighting than being killed by a Pitt Bull regardless of the number of lightening strikes or Pitt Bulls in the country. You also have a greater chance in drowning in your pool than being killed by a Pitt Bull. I could keep going but you get the point. As others have tried to point out fear of death or mauling by a Pitt Bull is statistically no one should worry about. This does not mean we should go running up to, and hugging strange dogs.

The arguments and rhetoric used by Anti-Pitt Bull crowd are identical to the Anti-Black Rifle crowd by just changing few words.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    badge315, Gray Dood and Bus007 like this.
  16. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

So when logic doesn't work, you move the goalposts?

How did it go from killed to bitten? Because your argument doesn't work?

How many died from ant bites? (30, almost same as ALL dog breeds)

Bee stings? (201, 6 times more likely than dog DEATHS).

How about we ban those too?

Feel free to keep digging your own hole.

badge315, jimcorbin and Rotn1 like this.
  17. Rotn1

Rotn1

Pitt Bulls were raised to ... Bait Bulls and Fight in Pits.
    They were bred to be tenacious and back in the day many could be animal aggressive.
    They were never human aggressive, quite the opposite. They were loyal and loving family dogs known for watching out for the children.
    Because of their tenacious characteristics low life dog fighters and wanna be bad guys started breeding the dogs for different characteristics, certainly size but also human aggression has crept into some over the many years of being screwed up by humans.
    My experience is there are very few bad dogs just irresponsible or bad owners.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    badge315, Slackinoff and Gray Dood like this.
  18. Rotn1

Rotn1

Here it is;

image.png

jimcorbin and Glockbug like this.
  19. Rotn1

Rotn1

But seriously few people properly identify a Pitt Bull

image.png

20. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs