Three Memphis cops charged with protecting nightclubs for pay

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by A6Gator, Feb 27, 2010.

1. A6Gator

A6Gator

Took thousands in bribes to warn business owners, feds say

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/feb/26/three-memphis-cops/

Lt. Timothy Green was in charge of a special police detail created to gather evidence on a Ridgeway area nightclub that was the subject of numerous public complaints.

But instead of compiling proof of underage drinking, fighting and other incidents at the unidentified club, federal authorities say Green and officers Christopher Crawford and Michael Young took thousands of dollars in payoffs to warn club owners about undercover police activity.

Green, a shift supervisor, assured the owner he would have "the right guys" at the club, on duty and in uniform. "We don't need nuisance," Green reportedly said. "We don't need no news."

Some of the payoffs were recorded on FBI audio and video devices placed in the nightclub offices, while other information was gathered by FBI sources working inside the club.

Green, 45, Crawford, 35, and Young, 36, were being held on $10,000 bond each, facing charges of bribery, extortion and conspiracy. A federal complaint said all three admitted Friday to taking payoffs to protect the club since last October.

They join some 55 other law enforcement officers who have been named in corruption cases over the past six years, said a visibly angry Police Director Larry Godwin. "I was so mad when I saw this," Godwin said at an afternoon news conference in the federal building. "This is an embarrassment to Memphis' finest. I'm fed up with it. If you break the law, we will lock you up."

Green accepted 11 payoffs totaling $8,000, Young accepted 27 payoffs totaling $2,650 and Crawford accepted 14 payoffs totaling $1,460, officials said.

An investigation is ongoing and authorities would not name the nightclub, which is in the Ridgeway Station policing area of Southeast Memphis, where the officers were assigned. The complaint, however, references a stabbing at the nightclub on Jan. 16. Police reports indicate that a 21-year-old man was stabbed at 2:25 a.m. that day in a club in the 3600 block of Ridgeway.

According to the complaint, Green also falsified police reports for money to protect the club. In Jan. 24, the complaint said, the club owner told Green he was concerned that a fight inside the club might cause problems for the business.

"The best thing you got is me on that typewriter," Green allegedly told the owner. "If I can say it happened somewhere else, then it happened somewhere else." Green, whose brother and wife also are police officers, has been with the department since 1985. Crawford and Young have been police officers since 2003.

When they make bond, they must wear electronic monitoring devices and will be on home confinement. The charges carry a total of up to 35 years in prison and fines. Crawford's ex-wife, nurse Taffi Crawford, was shot to death two weeks ago by an angry former boyfriend.

2. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

It is getting harder and harder to tell Memphis and New Orleans apart.

3. A6Gator

A6Gator

Must write letters of apology for forcing sex on prostitutes

http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...cop-denied-deal-will-do-time/?partner=popular

A former Memphis police officer who admitted coercing sex from prostitutes, one of whom was 15, was denied diversion Thursday and was taken into custody to begin serving a six-month prison sentence.

James George, a 13-year veteran who was fired last year, also was ordered to write letters of apology to his victims and to the community by way of The Commercial Appeal.

"I feel sorry for his victims and I feel sorry for his family, but I don't feel sorry for the defendant," said Criminal Court Judge John Colton Jr. "The court can't tell if he has remorse. I didn't hear him say he was sorry."

George, 52, a married father of three, was one of four officers indicted last year on rape charges for allegedly forcing prostitutes to have sex in their squad cars while the officers were in uniform and on duty.

He pleaded guilty last month to lesser charges of official misconduct and official oppression and Thursday was seeking diversion, a form of probation in which his record could be erased later.

George, who resigned last April, told the judge that he had had sex on duty "more times than I'd like to say" over a six-month period with at least two prostitutes, including one who was 15. He said he was told she was 18.

On cross-examination by state prosecutor Eric Christensen, George, who was assigned to the Mt. Moriah substation, admitted the women likely were fearful he would lock them up if they did not submit. "Yes, sir," he replied. "I could see the intimidation factor."

His attorney, Ted Hansom, told the judge that George also had spent 32 years in the Army and that his overall record as a police officer showed him to be a good public servant. "He's hurt the police image, his family and himself," Hansom said. "He's trying to repair the damage."

After serving six months in prison, George will be on probation for six years.

Other former officers indicted in the sex scandal include:

Daniel Wallace, 45, who has pleaded guilty to official misconduct and official oppression and will ask Colton for diversion today.

Thomas Woods, 55, who has pleaded guilty and was placed on judicial diversion until 2015.

Larry Orange, 44, whose sex-on-duty charges are still pending; he has asked for a hearing to suppress evidence in his case.

4. spears

spears

"I was so mad when I saw this," Godwin said at an afternoon news conference in the federal building. "This is an embarrassment to Memphis' finest. I'm fed up with it. If you break the law, we will lock you up."

yet it all still keeps happening.

5. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

6. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

He's just pissed he didn't get a cut.

7. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Huh? Is that figure correct? For one city?

8. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

Glad I left when I did.

This is becoming the norm.

9. CAcop

CAcop

No offense meant but Memphis seems like a ****hole.

10. ghstface38

ghstface38 Five-O

None taken, Memphis is a ****hole.

The majority of Memphis Officers are good guys but as you well know it only takes a few bad apples....

11. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

well, average one a month for six years does sort of imply an ongoing pattern of behavior. what is it, drug enforcement says you catch one out of 10? you don't think the CAUGHT ones represent the average, do you?

Even being very polite about it, there's SEVERAL uncaught per each caught, on the odds. Which says nothing about the good officers, nor implies anything about a particular officer. It's just that only a fool would think that the visible part was the whole iceberg.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  12. PROSOUTH

PROSOUTH

Oh boy, sounds like new episodes for the Memphis agencies to get on TV agaiin. What was that series? 48 Hours and maybe another one they were on ? oh well we can call the new one Memphis IA

:cool:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  13. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Someone needs to write a clarification on the whole "Protect and Serve" thing...

Randy

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

That's Godwin's Law.

Randy

15. ronduke

ronduke

"Green accepted 11 payoffs totaling $8,000, Young accepted 27 payoffs totaling $2,650 and Crawford accepted 14 payoffs totaling $1,460, officials said." I am hoping that these guys didn't become cops just to become thieves and shakedown artists. Theses fools threw away their careers, and their self respect for just a few dollars. I worked off duty security in New Orleans for 1 week. I made $4000. The only thing that I had to worry about was that I set aside enought to pay my taxes. If a cop wants some extra money and is within a hour or so of a large city, there are enough off duty jobs out there. I hope these 3 guys enjoy their time in prison. They deserve it for disgracing the profession.

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The numbers just suck on the payoffs.

11 payoffs totalling $8,000 = average bribe of $740
    27 payoffs totalling $2,650 = less than $100 each
    14 payoffs totalling $1,460 = average bribe $104

That's pretty cheap really when you think about it. Their bail was more than their bribes.

How is this relevant to the story?

17. Detectorist

Detectorist

I suspect these guys were dirty before they became Cops.

I know a Dept that hired 'former' gang members. It didn't work out well.

18. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

I we coult give Memphis to Arkasas, we'd drop our crime rate by 30%.
    Dano

19. A6Gator

A6Gator

Yep, they sold out cheap. The Crawford thing was an "inside Memphis baseball" thing. She (Crawford's ex-)was shot by her boyfriend who was a Memphis FD guy.

While the 55 indicted mentioned in the story only represent about 2.5 % of the department, the vast majority of MPD officers are good guys. It may be a legacy of the previous hiring practices that required they live or gave preference to applicants from Memphis. Which really restricts the gene pool...

20. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Only problem is that Arkansas wouldn't take it!