Three Marines to raise US Flag in Havana

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by WT, Aug 12, 2015.

1. WT

WT Millennium Member

Around noon on Jan. 4, 1961 three American Marines assigned to the embassy guard force in Havana turned their attention to a solemn task: lowering the American flag.

This coming Friday those SAME Three US Marines will return to Havana with Mr. Kerry and raise the flag over the US Embassy.

Former Marines James Tracy, Mike East, and Larry Morris will finally complete their honorable work. Even after all these years those Marines felt they had a duty to render such honors at the embassy.

God Bless Them and 'Semper Fi, Mac'.

janice6 and hooligan74 like this.
  2. hooligan74

hooligan74

That's pretty damned cool.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

4. tenforme

tenforme

Very cool and about time too.

5. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

I bet obama and his "good ole buddies" will profit greatly by Cuba & U.S. restoring trade relations...

6. tenforme

tenforme

Oh come on!!

If we can do business with the likes of China, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, it just dumb not to do business with Cuba.

stevelyn likes this.
  7. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

But are we really doing business with Cuba or the Castro brothers and their inner circle? Sure, some may trickle down to the unwashed masses but I'd bet the Castros will keep their iron-fisted grip on any big profits that Cuba starts to realize. I still remember (I was a mere boy) when we went to the airport to pick up my mother's older sister and her entire family who left Cuba and EVERYTHING THEY OWNED but the clothes they had on and some minor possessions. They were bitter until their deaths a few years ago.

8. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

The inventory in my humidors is going to get interesting.

9. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

The (formerly) Almighty Greenback Dolla is the key to breaking the Castro Bro's grip. Greed is an effective motivator and those in Cuba with entrepreneurial talent are going to notice when money starts flowing down that way and it'll likely start in underground/black-markets, but at some point it's going to explode and the Castros won't be able to stop it.

I remember as a Cold Warrior how conventional thinking determined that communism in eastern Europe wasn't going to end without an exchange of nukes, and look what happened.

10. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Don't forget China and Viet Nam. As a Cold Warrior I remember how we thought opening trade with China would force the leadership to give up control of the country. It didn't. It merely solidified the Communist Party's grip, and Tienanmen Square meant nothing.