Three glock 22s KB in PA.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by anchoryanker23, May 20, 2003.

1. anchoryanker23

anchoryanker23 Huh?

Ok guys, heres the actual NLETS post on this incident.the other day after hearing of this I examined a sample of used brass from several different Glock 22s, and all of them had noticable case bulges.
    I hate to say it, but no weapon should have case bulges like that. I seriously think that there is a design defect with these weapons, as no pistol should have that much unsupported case head, especially for a high pressure round like the 40 S&W. I have no intention of provoking any flame wars, but this is a factual incident, and I think you guys need to see it.
    (sigh, donning flame retardant suit anyway)

2. AZ-Boog

AZ-Boog

there's another thread going on about this incident where they point out that the ammunition was possibly damaged in shipping/handling.

3. noway

noway

Thanks for the rest of the story......Good non defective new ammo will would work 100% safe in you're glock.

btw: I don't consider the 40sw a high pressure ammo. Numerous other ammo has pressures specs above the 40sw. ( 357sig/9mm +p/9mm+p+ loads,etc............)

4. anchoryanker23

anchoryanker23 Huh?

Those case bulges still worry me,though. I've never seen them on any other weapon, only exclusively on glocks. We could argue forever about whether or not it causes the KBs, but you have to admit that it definitely makes it more likely to KB in the event of defective ammo. i've found that most problems with guns are the result of several different things, so the fact that too much of the case head is left unsupported could only be a factor when defective ammo is thrown into the mix. as far as the other cartridges that are higher pressure, they have more case head support, so it shouldn't be a factor. I really want to know ya'll's opinions of the case bulges. If i looked at any other weapon and the fired brass had bulges like that, I would definitely think I had problems with the chamber. but why does this not seem to apply with glocks?

5. noway

noway

{If i looked at any other weapon and the fired brass had bulges like that, I would definitely think I had problems with the chamber. but why does this not seem to apply with glocks?}

Maybe because a bulge case is not nothing to "draw attention about" on newly fired brass and is how glock designed the weapon in the first part.

You would think that glock being an established company here since the 80s, would have redesign the barrel chamber size "if they thought it was a major problem" to begin with.

6. anchoryanker23

anchoryanker23 Huh?

When I reload, and I see the case is bulged and there is a bright shiny ring in the bulged area, that tells me there is a problem, and the brass is not getting adequate support. I had a problem like this with one of my rifles, a .300 weatherby, I had to have it rechambered to .300 ultra mag. I'm not saying glocks will explode everytime they are fired, that would be ludicrious. However, could the apparently excessive amount of unsupported case head render the glock more likely to fail in case of an overcharge or bullet set back? It seems that when glocks KB they do so much more violently than other weapons.and Why should I not worry about a gun that has excessively bulged cases, when everything i've been taught and learned while reloading tells me that that is indicative of a serious underlying problem? And why in the heck would anyone design a weapon to bulge cases like you're claiming, anyway?

{maybe because a bulge case is not nothing to draw attention about on newly fired brass and is how glock designed the weapon in the first part}
    Please tell me, I'm very curious. It seems no one wan't to come out directly and explain glocks reasoning for leaving so much case head unsupported. I'm not trying to knock glocks, I used to think very highly of glocks, but when I see something that I know from personal experience that is a potential serious problem and I get told a variation of the old "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" story, I get a bit suspicious.
    P.S. I don't reload these rounds, just examining the fired cases. I never see this in brass from other guns, just glocks

7. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

FWIW, as hot as the CCI Blazer 180-grain .40 S&Ws are, I have never seen one with a bulge.

8. Terminator

Terminator

I have started inspecting spent casings and havent noticed any bulging as of yet. I have to admit this topic worries me more than a little, but i am monitoring my casings and gun for any signs of possible problems. Ill keep you informed.

9. medcraft

medcraft

I always use new ammo, and i have never seen bulging in the empty brass.

10. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

You are new aren't you. Do you know the history behind the .40 round? Do you know that all (most all) .40 pistols are 9mm frames with the larger round stuffed in? Do you know that if you give it full case head support it won't feed from the magazine? Do you know that some aftermarket barrels provide marginally more support, but potentially at the cost of reliability? Do you know that most Glock sales are to law enforcement agencies, who don't reload?

11. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

anchor, do you own a glock;d if you do, sell it..that way you won't have to worry..have you ever shot one;d
    ;P
    bob

12. noway

noway

Or if you are so worried about bulges, get a Steyr M40 ( which is built as a 40caliber to begin with) or most S&W 40series autos, both models of guns have better support than the glock 40s.

Nothing wrong with the glock 40s when using new factory in spec ammo.

13. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

The funny thing about this is that they blew up 3! THREE! 3! guns before stopping. Hello, does anyone know when to stop? I'd bet there wasn't a (decent) reloader in the group.

14. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

you people should just stop feeding that troll. And it also happens to other weapons I have seen an HK USP 45 KB too.

15. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

I think Glock .40's are perfectly reliable, safe and the Kb's happen from defective ammo. ...nuff said!;)

16. rottglocken

rottglocken

Did the 1911 model used to blow up fairly regularly in 38Super when it was being used in competion with reloaded ammo? Just as another data point.

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

;2 Attention Ladies and Gentlemen. This is a troll alert.

18. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

If it was a fake story, it would merit a "troll alert", but this story is legit.

Sounds like the ammo may be defective? Was it the old Federal brass marked "FC" or the newer brass marked "Federal"? A former Glock VP told me they were hearing about several kBs a month w the old Federal ammo (FC) before they changed the brass. And it wasn't just in the 155s either; the 180 AE and HS did it too. Federal changed the brass, but did not "recall" any of the old stuff. Plenty still out there; checked around town and it's still on some shelves for sale.

Some .40s do have thicker chamber walls and more case support (as full as ya can get in an auto anyway); they have kBd too, though not as "catastrophically" as often as the Glocks I've seen. Polymer frames are more durable for "normal" shooting, but seem to crack the frames easier than steel/alloy. Have not seen any SIG, Beretta, Ruger, BHP frames come apart like some of the Glocks I've seen. Anybody?

Since the 9x19 when loaded to CIP/NATO/LEO +P+ levels (as high as 42,500 psi) is way higher than the 40 (35,000 psi), and even higher than the 357SIG (40,000 psi), but the 9x19 pistols (Glock or anybody else) have never done this as often or as bad, and still don't, sumthin' is up w the .40?

The local indoor rental range, the local public, private, and LE outdoor ranges have all seen way more blown .40s than 9s/45s, and way more Glocks blown more badly than other guns, so sumthin' may be up w some Glocks some time? Could be cuzz Glocks outnumber everybody else by at least 3 to 1 or better too?

Or are they the Ford Crown Vics of the pistol world? Hint: ask the Phoenix PD about that. There were plenty of happy Crown Vic customers too... ;)

Beats me. When the FBI, DEA, US Marshals, ISP, etc start to worry about it, then we will know for sure? ;b

19. noway

noway

{The local indoor rental range, the local public, private, and LE outdoor ranges have all seen way more blown .40s than 9s/45s, and way more Glocks blown more badly than other guns, so sumthin' may be up w some Glocks some time? Could be cuzz Glocks outnumber everybody else by at least 3 to 1 or better too?}

That's strange cause I 've started asking a couple of my local ranges if any glocks "insert caliber here" have ever blown up but the response has always been NO

They have numerous glocks and numerous glocks shooters have came thru their doors. Glocks are still their #1 rental with the 19,27 and 33 being the most asked for gun models.

20. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

So, are ya like trying to call me a liar? Better smile when ya imply that pardner! ;)

Yep, it's strange. Some folks don't see any, some see a bunch.

Here, we have seen Glocks, Walthers, USPs, Kel-Tecs, Berettas kB in .40 w factory ammo. Call Calibers, Shooting Range Park, Shooter's Den, BCSD, etc in Albuquerque NM.

Maybe it's all the arsenic in the water out here? The toxic waste from Sandia National Laboratory... ;b