close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thread title changeability

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Bob, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Bob

Bob G23/C,G24/C,G33 Millennium Member

Eric

Would it be possible to set the "The Want Ads" section so that the titles could be edited by the thread starter? I know the mods will do it if you ask but most people won't, or don't know they will. That way items could be marked "SPF"(sold pending funds) or found one etc. It is a bit of a pain to open the thread to see if the item is "sold" or in the wanted section the item is "found". I think it would also cut down on bandwidth usage from members sending "PMs" and "e-mails" via GT if they can see in the title that the item is no longer available. Also basic rules would need to be added in each section letting members know and that they should edit the titles.

Bob

2. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

As a former admin of a forum like this, i'll give you my prospective on something like this.

When things have gone just fine over the course of a few years with no change in how things were done, its quite impractical to make a bunch of changes, both in the coding of the forum, as well as more moderators to police and enforce the newly created rules. Granted, it may be a good idea, but it would take a lot of unneeded work when whats in place already works fine. A thread starter can easily edit the first post of his/her thread and put a large font-sized "SOLD" at the start of the post, or whatever else they would choose to put.

Also, I don't think, tho mainly remember, whether or not vB2 is capable of permissions like that without doing a 'hack' to the code. I know vB3 is easily capable of it, but don't think vB2 is. (that; being allowing members to change titles of threads just in that forum)