close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thread locks

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by hunt_ak, Feb 12, 2010.

1. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Been around for a bit but haven't posted too terribly much, but had a quick question.

I started a thread yesterday and noticed many threads in General Glocking sub-forum that were locked for no apparent reason. I am a moderator for a large Alaska Outdoors forum and whenever we lock a thread, there is generally an explanation by a moderator as to why. I did not see an explanation and was wondering if there were some 'unwritten rules' here about what is taboo and what is allowed as far as forum topics.

Was it that I had a concern about a forum sponsor that it was locked? I don't believe I was being rude in the thread, but maybe it came off poorly. Thanks and I appreciate the site.

Kyle

2. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

And now another thread I was involved with has been closed. Everyone was getting along, getting good info about these valuable training aides, etc, but no reason for the close.

I guess I'm just missing something (or since I'm a newbie, can't see all the posts or something)

3. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

So another rash of closed threads makes it a bit more clear that 'off-topic' threads get the axe. However, I would consider "Need new G26 holster" a 'General Glocking' question....maybe I'm wrong.

All this said, I know vBulletin software has a 'move thread' option. Once people get used to seeing their threads move, chances are they'll get used to putting them in the correct places.

Guess I'm talking to myself here, though...

4. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Moving a thread is at a mod's discretion. I think the GG mods have been fighting the same issue for a long time, and hope that locking might get the message across.

There are many useful forums here, from holsters, to sights, non Glock firearms, rifles, hunting, and the like. Take a look around and enjoy.

5. hunt_ak

hunt_ak

Thanks for the reply. I do see that there are many sub-forums under "Firearms Forusm", "Practical Tactics" and "The Armory" but those aren't necessarily 'Glock' sub-forums.

Under General Glocking, it states:

This forum is for the discussion of Glock pistols, accessories or issues directly related to Glocks. Please help keep this forum on-topic.

The thread I started that was locked was 'directly related' to a Glock accessory (LWD slides).

The other thread I was involved with was 'directly related to another Glock accessory (aftermarket springs/guide rods)

Seems like most everything that I've seen lately that has been locked has been on-spec as far as the bold statement above is concerned, because people had 'Glock specific' questions.

Seems that one would try and grow the forum, as this is a for-profic organization. Getting new members that start threads with questions about their glocks instantly locked down without explanation seems....well, backwards from what you would want.

I am aware that there are 119,000 members here (don't know how many are active), but if its a work-load thing, maybe its time for a few more moderators to take a look at the threads, decide if they pertain to glocks, and if they dont, take the extra few-seconds to move something.

And again, thanks for the reply!