Thr

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Feb 20, 2020.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I finally got a smart phone. :( they started messing with my old one. The clock would change time zones at random.
    So I’m in Best Buy and see a Ring indoor camera $55. A hour (figuring how to turn back on my phone internet without using outside WiFi...)
    It’s not bad. But in @25 days I have to pay $30 a yr for stored memory for it. (Free first 30 days) it’s not bad at close range. (Note this is not outside doorbell, but inside plugged into 110ac)
    I can have it notify my phone any movement. I can watch (either live, or later) with sound what activated it. IMO it records constantly. But saves @5 seconds before movement to @15 seconds after movement stops. At @10’ easy to ID people you know. Even in dark.
    Just talked to my wife over it @750 miles away as bird flies.
    My understanding is it’s $30 per device. $100 max per location.
    The camera @$60 isn’t bad. Doorbell $100 to $180 IMO $$$ but the outside lights are IMO really overpriced. You add a light @35$ to unit it shouldn’t cost $$$$ more.

It’s just so easy to set up. (Once I fixed my mistake). Anyone else tried it? Better options?

-JCN- likes this.
  2. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I got the wife a Ring doorbell. Now I know when the mail is delivered and what time the trash guys come by. I have had a couple people come to the door but they just wanted to trim my trees and sell me Girl Scout cookies... no criminals yet.

Ring does have an easy interface but I am confident there are cheaper alternatives so I don’t want to buy a bunch of their products.

-JCN- likes this.

3. larry_minn

If they were $50 to $75 each I might buy more. Especially if I could extend my WiFi range enough.
    Dang what happened to title? Of course online they are much cheaper. Sad days for many brick, mortar stores. $100 in person, or $35 free shipping online.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  4. larry_minn

Still undecided if I should buy more. FILs old rental. If I got permission from neighbor for WiFi...
    Not bad way to monitor house remotely.

5. fjrdc

fjrdc

Have the ring 2 and the one with the floodlights bought black Friday unfortunately they are Still
    UMRP, worth the money.

6. faceplant

faceplant

I have a ring doorbell, floodlight cam. Also spotlight cam that I use for indoors. I also have the alarm system. $10 a month monitoring and cloud storage for video.
    Per their website $3 per camera per month up to 3 cameras. Then $10 max.
    Overall I'm pretty happy with Ring products. I might have to get me a couple of indoor cameras at $59 each.

7. faceplant

faceplant

UMRP?

8. faceplant

faceplant

Larry . Also check out wyze camera. $25 works reasonably well. I have a couple of those but to get everything on one app with cloud storage may be worth the extra.
    I also cover my indoor cameras when I'm home.

pittpa likes this.
  9. Intolerant

Intolerant

Oh dear lord, what did we all do in the old days without all these cameras watching everything.

NAZG26 likes this.
  10. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

My indoor camera has an option that I like and use. When my phone is at home the camera turns itself off. When my phone travels a set distance from the house the camera turns on. I’m retired and home a lot so the camera is off most of the time.

faceplant likes this.
  11. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

I have a big dog

12. faceplant

faceplant

We got our **** broken into and stolen.

Intolerant likes this.
  13. larry_minn

I worried. Growing up we honestly couldn’t lock front door when we left home. I replaced front door @9th grade with one that had a deadbolt. Plus I didn’t have multiple houses, in multiple states to be concerned about.
    With this @$50 camera, plugged into household current, $30 a yr for recorded... IF someone breaks in. There is offsite record. ( IF nobody is there I have notification turned on my cell) so my cell chimes. I can see who it is, hear them (all recorded). I can activate a “alarm” (IMO poor choice as they will steal it, at least break it so no more recording). Same with turning on 2 way intercom. Just call the Police, keep watching as it records. Should help with prosecution.

Is that ring? If so could you help me with how to set that up? It takes me 5 minutes to shut off, turn on notifications.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Intolerant likes this.
  14. Intolerant

Intolerant

Yeah, times sure have changed. Few years ago, we never needed to lock our doors. Today we lock our vehicle`s up at night even out here in the country. I do have sensors to detect movement outside all over the property, as well as motion detecting spot/flood lights. I`ve caught a few 2 legged vermin lookin around on my property. The weirdest thing about it is, none were repeat snoopers. Walkin silently with a big stick may have had something to do with that though. ;)

faceplant likes this.
  15. larry_minn

Depends where you hit them at.

16. Intolerant

Intolerant

You have to hit them right in the dumbdumb, it smartens them up very quickly...lol

17. larry_minn

Why I bought a skid loader, and backhoe unit. Need to get hoses fixed before more company.

Intolerant likes this.