Thoughts while watching some old films

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Vito, Oct 19, 2020.

1. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

Here's another, gone too soon. Over the years I have met many women who looked like a current film star, or one of the classic stars of the 30's and 40's. I have yet to meet any woman that resembled Jean Harlow, even a little.

[​IMG]

Emily W Trott and orangejeep06 like this.
  2. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Excellent observations in this post.
    And I still say Grace Kelly is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

orangejeep06 likes this.

3. ede

ede

Biggest thing I've noticed watching older TV and movies is how regular a lot of the people look, not Hollywood perfect.

orangejeep06 and Dr. Bill like this.
  4. PBCounty

PBCounty

I personally feel that putting absolutely no effort into your appearance is disrespectful to your hosts, social or business company, setting, etc...especially when it's so easy to exercise a little discipline and dress halfway decent today as compared to times past. Decent clothing is so much more affordable, readily available, easier to care for, etc. and all the while existing in a world where it's easy to be comfortable wearing almost anything. Hint, the average environment today is way cleaner and more comfortable (air conditioning!) than it was back when the average person actually put a little effort into their presentation.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  5. Vito

Vito

Plastic surgery was not as advanced as it is today, and breast implants were not the norm. Botox had not even been invented.

But some aspects of older movies make us cringe today. The fight scenes in many old movies were so poorly done and so obviously fake that our "suspension of disbelief" while watching a fictional story on the big screen is jarringly interrupted. But in those old films we almost always could easily understand what the characters were saying. They did not talk over one another, they enunciated their words and didn't feel obligated to drop "F bombs" every third word. Once the "method acting" of actors like Marlon Brando (who despite that was a highly gifted actor) dialogue sometimes became slurred and unintelligible. I add that to my loss of hearing now and I miss half of what was said in modern movies, unless I am watching them on my TV with closed captions (which used to be needed only for foreign language movies).

6. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I watch some silent films, partly for a look into the past and partly because some of them are done so well. Where Are My Children (1916), The Crowd (1928), Scar Of Shame (1927) are just a few of many standouts.

Many of Buster Keaton’s films have great outdoor shots. Side note: In 1920 Keaton was earning $5000/week at a time when my Grandmother’s house in South Central Los Angeles cost $2500.

Sherlock913 and clancy like this.
  7. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

Excellent points all around. The nice thing in Hitchcock movies people (feminazis) fail to realize, Hitchcok women weren't damsels in distress. Kelly preforms some daring, brave acts; Doris Day is hardly a wallflower; and who can forget Eva Marie Saint in "North by Northwest." They were strong characters (and Hitch loved his blondes and obsessed about their wardrobes).

Another great example. The first and third are directly based on Dashiell Hammett's works, the first, novel by the same name and an unrelated short story for Another Thin Man.

People were just classier over all, even the lowlifes. A HS acquaintance shot this just as the Covid lockdown happened, I added the caption.

[​IMG]

8. Sherlock913

Sherlock913 If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?

He plays the heavy in several Noirs as well.

9. norton

norton

Part of the issue is, in the golden age, movie actors came from the stage. They had to learn to project their voices so the audience could hear.
    Today actors mumble, and dropping curse words is the sign of street cred.

10. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Wanna watch an 'Old School' film with a plot on a radical level? ... before there were social-media censors? :headscratch:

Good. :thumbsup:

Get The Fountainhead, starring Gary Cooper, which was adapted from Ayn Rand's best-selling novel of the same title.

Guaranteed to wake some Lefty mofos up.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AX4MKIDvXLM

:laughabove:

Emily W Trott likes this.
  11. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

Another great Hitchcock movie is North by Northwest...

12. nrajeff

nrajeff

What about Venkman in Ghostbusters? Or his role in Caddyshack? The scene where he recounts meeting the Dalai Lama...

Also forget his performance in "Stripes"!

View: https://youtu.be/x1GjScu_uHE

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Recently watched 55 Days at Peking with David Niven, Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner. Also caught her the other day on TCM in Mogamba.

Ava Gardner was mesmerizing. She catches your attention in anything she's in.

Oh, and there is a biography of her on Amazon Prime.

14. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Gary Cooper would look funny with ginger orange hair AND his Howard Roark monologue delivery sucks... Patricia Neal as well (weak acting) IMO. Ayn Rand was a Do As I Say, Not As I Do kinda person IMO also. Sad that. Fountainhead is full of TEH SUCK. (again IMO - YMMV)

Some old movies do well with the test of time. Others, less so.

Bob Altman, a K.C. boy (McCabe & Mrs Miller, M.A.S.H., Nashville and other movies) made the multiple actors talking at same time schtick trendy.

I liked Bill Murray in TOOTSIE as Hoffman's roomie Jeff (non credited in film but he was there)

15. Vito

Vito

Maybe I'm in a minority but I didn't care for "Tootsie" even when it first came out. Too cheesy for me.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  16. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Some old ie (Pre WWII ? ) movies have held up well. I only got about 1/2 way into Fritz Lang's 30's classic M (not so loosely based on Peter Kurten's murder spree.)

But at the outset the police commissioner is interviewing one of his flunkies about how the crime scenes were being treated
    and the depth of detail and analytical efforts you would swear would come from a scene of CSI.

The later when the city's underworld gets together to plot a response (cause the cops and their efforts were badly cutting into business) you had some women that were pretty obvious bordello staff and for a 30's movie in Germany their trade wasn't even remotely concealed but front and center.

I will finish that movie some day.

17. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

In the old movies there are no cell phones, no computers, and no fatties. But everyone smoked and drank.

PBCounty and orangejeep06 like this.
  18. Z71bill

Z71bill

My 4 year old grandson wanted to watch Clifford the Big Red Dog today (I let him) -

He ask me if I watched it when I was a little boy - I said no - back when I was a little boy TV was in black and white only and Clifford the Big Red Dog wasn't a show yet -

Then I added - the TV could not show colors - no red, blue, yellow, green - only white black and shades of gray - so they couldn't have a show about a red dog.

He gave me a funny look - like the one when I am playing a joke on him - he can't imagine TV without colors.

My best joke last week - he wanted a snack - Goldfish crackers - I opened the small bag - dumped out the "goldfish" and put a marshmallow in the bottom of the package - then put the goldfish crackers back in the bag on top.

After he ate a few he yells out GRANDPA there is a marshmallow in the goldfish!

So I go out and say - WOW Charlie - are you sure? How did that happen?

He thinks for like 2 seconds and says - You can't fool me grandpa - YOU DID IT!

Damn - kid is way smarter that I was at 4 -

clancy likes this.