Thoughts while watching some old films

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Vito, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Vito

Vito

Yesterday I watched two Alfred Hitchcock films, both starring Jimmy Steward. One was "The Man Who Knew Too Much" made in 1955 and the other was "Rear Window" made in 1954.

My first thought was how well the films hold up, even to today's technical and style standards. Dialogue was mostly realistic, not the melodramatic style the movies from just a few years earlier had. Another thing I noticed right away was the way that Jimmy Steward and other characters in the films dressed. I was only 11 when I saw "Rear Window" in a theatre, and 12 when I saw "The Man Who Knew Too Much" but I do remember that men dressed in shirts, ties and jackets, even when not working and even if not if what we call white collar jobs. And the men generally wore hats when outside, regardless of the weather. Seeing the Jimmy Stewart character on vacation with his family in Morocco, in the heat of that area, wearing a sport jacket, white shirt and tie reminded me of how ridiculous the "normal" way of dressing really was. And the Doris Day character, if watched today, would drive most women crazy with the portrayal of this woman as pretty over emotional and needing to be so coddled by her husband. But at the time that film was made, people more or less accepted those gender roles without question.

"Rear Window", with so many of the character's neighbors leaving their windows uncovered, was not totally realistic, although in those days before air conditioning was universal, people often did leave their windows open and the curtains or blinds open as well to try to get some air moving into the home. Another aspect of this film that I guess I had forgotten was just how gorgeous Grace Kelly was.

Overall I enjoyed both of these films, and added to my watching "Groundhog Day" a few nights ago, I guess I am having my own nostalgic film festival. One thing I always enjoy watching old movies is to spot actors that have a small role who later become much bigger stars. In "Groundhog Day", actor Michael Shannon (Google his name if it doesn't ring a bell, you likely will recognize him once you see him) in a very small role as an exuberant teenager.

2. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott Just living my life.

Movies are an excellent window into the styles and habits of the past. Even Ralph Kramden wore a jacket and tie when he and Norton went to the pool hall. Turning 20 in 1973 I came in just at the end of the days when it wasn't unusual to see men in sport coats and even ties when you went out for the evening.
    My father always did, and he also always used to complain about how low the roofs on modern cars are. He had to take his hat off to sit in them. :)
    But many of them, were also shown as being strong and brave, as she was when she sang Que Sera Sera through the halls of that mansion. (I think that I did a pretty good job of not posting a "spoiler" :) ) And Grace Kelly, who you mention below, in High Noon.
    That she was. :) The envy of any woman, and the desire of any man. The silver screen lost her way too soon when she found her charming prince. :)

3. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

4. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

The Thin Man series are some of my favorites. Lots of class, lots of cocktails, a dog named Asta, and did I mention that Myrna Loy was a knockout?

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

It's a shame that todays audiences/kids get immediately bored if there's no gratuitous sex, car chases, constant shooting and something blowing up every five seconds. No way could they sit through an intellectual movie.

6. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

Zod was in Groundhog Day? Oh, yeah, the young couple! I love that movie. Probably Bill Murray's best film. Either that or Scrooged.

bruscifer likes this.
  7. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Absolutely true, Vito is referring to a seemingly lost era when men were men, women were women and everyone was glad of it.

Hollywood would in no way make movies like that anymore and if they did, the snowflakes wouldn’t watch them.

8. Colt M-4

Colt M-4 AK-74 Silver Member

Soldier of Fortune with Clark Gable you might enjoy Great music also. And Never so Few with the King Of Cool.With both having great leading lady.

And the Big House with Wallace Beery he so loved that Thompson.

1966 Sand Pebbles was always great. bill_8.jpg

wyntrout, bruscifer and lazarus66 like this.
  9. gamboolman

gamboolman

ms gamboolgal and I just watched "Rear Window" a couple of weeks ago.

It was in color and so different than when I was kid and watched it.

gamboolman...

10. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Did you notice Raymond Burr in “Rear Window?” It was pre Perry Mason, when he was usually cast as a heavy.

11. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

The Hollywood version of Ivanhoe ruined the book and the Brit version for me.

The Hollywood version was more cool and entertaining. The book and the Brit version were boring and staid.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WEXcPkaTVtA

12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Speaking of The Man Who Knew Too Much,
    Bill Murray made a film called The Man Who Knew Too Little.
    :bluesbrothers:

nrajeff likes this.
  13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

[​IMG]
    "Do these pearls go with this apron?"

orangejeep06 and First shot like this.
  14. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

Look at that tiny kitchen and lack of counter space.

nrajeff likes this.
  15. wyntrout

wyntrout

James "Jimmy" Stewart was great and I loved Steve McQueen in several movies but recently watched The Sand Pebbles again... loved them both!
    :)

orangejeep06 likes this.
  16. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

Rear Window is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Sherlock913 likes this.
  17. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Hitchcock made some masterpieces.

nrajeff and Sherlock913 like this.
  18. PBCounty

PBCounty

I'll take the position that today's manner of dress is ridiculous. Grown men go out dressed as boys. I see men in their 40's on evening dates dressed in t-shirts and wearing cargo shorts. They should be embarrassed.

19. Vito

Vito

Not sure why you think this is "men ...dressed as boys". Seems to me that people dress more for comfort than to meet some arbitrary fashion standard. Wearing a jacket in the heat of the desert, with a tie no less, seems absurd to me. And women's dress has also changed mostly for the better. Ask women you know if they wish times changed back to where they were expected to wear stockings/pantyhose and high heels whenever they left the house.

John Galt and Rizzo like this.
  20. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

We have lost a lot, class wise. Look at a young Babe Ruth. Everyone watching is wearing a coat, tie and hat.

[​IMG]

Same with Jack Johnson beating Jim Jeffries, in Reno, Nevada.

[​IMG]

Or just going shopping in the 1950's. People dressed up and didn't look like bums when they went out.

[​IMG]

Now all you have to do is go to Walmart to see how far we have gone.

[​IMG]