close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on what transpired?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Hunca Munca, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Hunca Munca

Hunca Munca nonplussed

Wilkinsburg's police department lost its ability to access two computer databases officers use to conduct criminal background checks on suspects, the mayor confirmed Friday.

Mayor John Thompson declined to say what prompted federal and state authorities to suspend the department's access to the NCIC and JNET systems.

"All I can say at this time is that the police chief and I have discussed this matter and that it is being handled by the state police," Thompson said.

Chief Ophelia Coleman could not be reached for comment.

State police spokeswoman Lt. Myrna Taylor said because of the Easter holiday weekend, no information would be available until next week about the state's involvement in the investigation.

The FBI operates NCIC, or the National Crime Information Center, a national database for tracking crime-related information.

The state Office of Administration operates JNET, the Pennsylvania Justice Network, which allows officers to access state public safety and criminal justice information.

Officers with access to the databases can log in from a computer, including laptops installed in patrol cars, to conduct the background checks on people and obtain other information.

A Wilkinsburg police officer said the loss of access to the databases means the department's 22 officers have to contact the Allegheny County 911 center to request the information they are seeking.

I wonder who did what..........

2. op2k

op2k

Most likely scenario is that someone looked up information (criminal history, etc) on somebody, and gave that information to someone who was not supposed to have it. Over the years I've had friends or family call me to ask if I would randomly run someone or their tag, to which I swifty reply "Heck No!!". I'm only running someone or something if it's right in front of me.....I'm not gonna be "that guy" who made the department lose it's privileges.

3. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

+1 I would agree this is the most likely scenario.

4. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Will they suspend access for leaving the printouts unattended also? Might be repeated carelessness rather than intentional misuse? I'd hate to be the guy that screwed the pooch either way. Could be more than one ID abused too.

How do they get access reinstated? I can't believe they suspend for a single act, doesn't there have to be a pattern of abuse?

Randy

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  5. pac201

pac201

that is also a possibility; some people just don't take that $10,000.00 fine and jail time serious until it's too late...

6. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I would think that there would have to be a pattern of abuse. I think it is one of the reasons why it is very restricted access where I work at, in that it only takes one clown to mess things up royally.

7. CAcop

CAcop

I am betting there was a pattern of abuse and it involved multiple layers.

8. ctaggart

ctaggart

Probably running randoms or people that they have no reason to run. My department members have to fill out a JNET log sheet every time we need a certified driver's history of registration. Maybe the department was audited by JNET and things were a bit hinky? I'm interested to hear what transpires because We'llKillYinsBurg is only about an hour away from my PD.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

There's a stripper involved somewhere. Or a least a hot wife that lives seven miles away.

10. GackMan

GackMan

Oh... so that's what happens when you run the plates on the POTUSes limo.

11. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Have to agree.

I thought you had to be certified to use it, and your id is tracked, so I gotta believe they know exactly who did what (unless that's only Michigan with LEIN). But if they're that serious about its use, its a guarantee they track individual ids usage to verify everywhere. If it was one guy with a pattern, you'd think they'd revoke his cert, not disconnect the whole agency. So I'm guessing its got to be more guys involved, or management not making corrections to earlier incidents, blowing it off, something like that.

If it was just something like the printer left unsecured, you'd think that would be easily resolved, and not result in suspension of privs. I wouldn't expect a suspension to result from something like that.

Randy

12. overload2020

overload2020 ON YOUR FEET!

:agree::wave::cheers:

13. 4949shooter

4949shooter

The FBI keeps track of all the lookups.

Gotta have a case# to run CCH;s. But I agree, it sounds like some type of incident or complaint brought their attention to the PD.

14. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I will join CA Cop and Hack in the "pattern of abuse" view.

Also, it could be that their own PD's network was compromised. That is one easy way of getting your dangling participle slapped really hard by the feds.

'Drew

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Someone ran the tail designation on Air Force One.

16. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Who told you guys that you can't run randomly? Time for some in-service legal updates!

17. sargespd

sargespd

Most likely a pattern of violations, which the department was made aware of or should have been aware of, and failed to take action on. If the department takes disciplinary and or criminal action against officers who misuse the system, the powers that be will not generally punish the agency as a whole. Got to be a serious problem, one way or another.

18. ctaggart

ctaggart

I'm talking about requesting certified driver's histories. We need to log each request and list the reason, I.E. an arrest.

19. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You can run random plates while driving around, but you sure as heck can't sit inside dispatch and just run plates that your brother wrote down for you to check out.

20. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Criminal history (CCH/RAP) or driver license history? For driver stuff, I can do that from the car with no real reason, IE charging decision on tickets etc.

Funny how different stuff is in other states!

:wavey: