Thoughts on this?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Jade Falcon, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

My apologies if it's already been posted. Happened earlier last year (2018).

The poster of the video pinned a comment with an update from the Trooper's Supervisor:

What are your thoughts on this? Did the Trooper overreact (not sure that's the word I want to use, but for the sake of drawing a blank....) to chasing after this speeder? Apparently, the speeder was going 20 over the posted limit.

Discuss.

2. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Well, you have to go faster than the speeder to catch up; however, it definitely seems like it could have been done in a safer manner in this instance. Passing on the right hand shoulder at those speeds was definitely a stupid move. All he had to do to avoid burning the cruiser to the ground was pull onto the asphalt.

3. SAR

SAR CLM

My guess is that the tall grass made contact with the hot catalytic converter. I doubt it was the speed so much, as it was the dry grass hitting the exhaust. Passing on the right is stupid.

LASTRESORT20 and janice6 like this.
  4. SouthVA

SouthVA

5. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Epic pooch screwing.

6. k9medic

k9medic

This was previously posted and quite a bit of discussion took place.

Stupid move by a rookie...

7. johnm88

johnm88 NRA Member

The guy in the SUV was obviously speeding but his pursuit was more dangerous than the speeder. Any idiot knows not to pull into dry grass with a hot vehicle, he should've known better. If he'd just pulled onto the highway when he first suspected the grass was on fire then they would still have that car.

janice6 likes this.
  8. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

When did the officer find out that his radio was not working?
    When did the officer find out that his fire extinguisher was out or not working?
    What might have caused his vehicle to catch fire? Could that have been prevented by the officer?

I would ask the officer to show proof the he inspected his vehicle, and did an equipment check (radio battery, computer, extinguisher gauge check, wipers, camera, brakes etc) ) before the officer took to the highway.
    Training and policy, was it followed?

However, it would be a low percentage of those who check essential equipment. In the military can be life or death to do so.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Ohsheepdog likes this.
  9. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

The pursuit was dumb, but failing to move the car out of the burning grass to the roadway and letting it burn to the ground was next- level stupid.

BL33D 4 M3 likes this.
  10. Ohsheepdog

Ohsheepdog

Adrenaline dump + lack of experience = being the subject of new policies and involuntary vacations

janice6 and Dukeboy01 like this.
  11. blueiron

blueiron

A failure of global situational awareness.

12. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

We used to chase for everything. We once chased a guy to a state line for blowing thru a stop sign. It turns out the car was hot but we didn't know it. I was in one that was right out of the movie Blues Brothers, Literally. It was amazing to see a guy in a stolen camaro go 4 wheels off on a hill and about 200 Police cars behind him do the same, all at 100 mph. And I don't blame them for running back then.

I stopped liking chases eventually. Hell I never knew grass could catch fire like that. I never worked the highway.

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  13. janice6

janice6

This is pushing the limit of what's acceptable to catch a speeder going 20 over.

However, if the speeder had caused an accident, the public would have asked why he was driving this fast and wanted answers from the HP.

The question of where you draw the line on catching a violator is always nebulous, but it has to be somewhere.

If you let the worst go, they will feel free to do it more often.
    In my state this is evident in "Right turn on Red" violations. Red means nothing anymore.

As far as pulling off onto the grass, even I know that a Catalytic Converter and the engine gets hot, and with these speeds, very, very, hot.

I believe that that officer should have been aware that some means of cool down and keeping away from grass and vegetation is paramount with a hot Catalytic Converter. This has been known and publicized widely and often.

I would make sure he realizes that the judgement to chase includes public safety and a sacrifice of time to arrest over taking longer to catch, is better.

I wouldn't criticize if he had some notification that the car was involved in an additional crime.

larry_minn likes this.
  14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

And just like that, the Zegers Protocol is born and entered into the policy manual.

Randy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ohsheepdog likes this.
  15. Bish1309

Bish1309

I dunno about all that. I thought, (and I haven't replayed yet) but it sounded like the motor was blowing up. Might have pushed a rod and the hot oil caught fire.

janice6 likes this.
  16. Bish1309

Bish1309

I listened again. Just as they are exiting the highway it sounds like either trans or some "new noise" had developed.

17. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

All I can say is...it is a good thing I did not have a cruiser that was that fast back in my day!...wow 140+...whew!

Bish1309, janice6 and Ohio Cop like this.
  18. Delleetodd

Delleetodd

Dude hit 140 MPH at one point. He was cookin!

janice6 likes this.
  19. John_AZ

John_AZ

Had a guy pass me at 120 on the highway. I radioed ahead. The speed I would have needed to go to catch him was not worth the misdemeanor charge I could have given him should I have caught him. I don’t like chases, especially for misdemeanors. I’ve seen far too many killed in car crashes. I don’t want to be one of them

Bish1309 and janice6 like this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Let's think. 95% of stop was dictated by speeder.
    Officer was going SLOw for interstate at start correct? Oncoming doing @90+? From 70 mph one direction, to catch someone going over 90 the other. (I didn't time but had to be at least 30 seconds before he started heading in correct direction?).
    So minimum speeder had half mile head start? Ok closer to a mile. He speeded up fast maybe another 20 seconds to match speeds? So clearly a mile head start? IF Officer drove 100mph (assuming I am close) he should have caught up in @12 minutes?
    Sad to say IMO that's unacceptable. I have not driven over 110 mph in decade. (Track) a audible warning @115mph might not be a bad idea. (There were strange sounds before fire)
    Traffic did not yield well for the Officer. IMO over 120 for speeder is questionable. It's just not worth it. He should (isn't Tuesday morning decision making easy) have gotten on PA, ordered him to right shoulder. (Of course if he did, a accident resulted guess who is at fault)

Maybe I see reason some Officers hint being proactive is not worth it?

What some don't realize is taking a car up to 100+ at reasonable rate puts MUCH less pressure then a rapid acceleration. My car might cruise @100 under 3 grand. Minimal stress to engine, trans. But person blows stop sign onto county rd. My going @60 to 90 it hits over 5 grand, trans is downshifted, spinning extreamly hard.
    IMO stress to his car was because of rapid acceleration over 100mph. (And downshifts due to traffic). That's where stress came from. (Assuming well working car to start)
    Good learning Vidio. Hope no hard, fast rules for all situations made from it.
    Such as every squad limited to 108mph. (Many standard cars, SUV... Have limits in 110mph area.). It's easy to remove in most, but unneeded. Most drivers can't handle 85mph.

janice6 likes this.