Thoughts on this video about Columbine?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jade Falcon, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

I just came across an interesting video by a woman, about 13 minutes long, who is a Mortician, and makes videos about Death in general, from a historical and business perspective. She runs a popular channel on YouTube, which I have been subscribed to for a couple of years now, called "Ask A Mortician". Normally, she does videos about famous corpses, the funeral business, and the like.

Full disclosure: she's a Liberal/Leftist and, while she doesn't openly SAY it, it's quite obvious that she is since she owns a hippy-type Funeral business that specializes in "natural" burials (admittedly, I don't have her business website in front of me at the moment; I'm recalling this from vague memory), and she also gives a slightly Leftist perspective on an issue once in a while in her videos (it's one of those things that you have to see to know what I'm talking about...). She also uses a couple of falsehoods about guns and how powerful they are, which are classic Liberal talking points (more on that below).

That being said, I found this video interesting. I thought she did a good job addressing falsehoods about Columbine, and how the media got a lot of it wrong based on assumptions, rather than facts.

Something I disagreed with her though was two instances in the video where she mentions the "easy access" to guns and how powerful they were. She doesn't dwell on it, to her credit, but she does say it in passing, and I addressed it with her in the comment section:

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with the video? If yes or no, then why?

Discuss.

2. Jonesee

Jonesee

• That would require investing my own time watching the video.
    • Developing an independent thought without the use of made for tv soundbites as guidance
    • Posting those thoughts in well thought out, well constructed sentences. Correct spelling and punctuation would be expected.
    • Then facing the screaming wrath of shrill members who might not agree with every word?
    No thanks. :miff:

3. c6601a

c6601a

Almost everything that most people learned about Columbine in the first year was wrong. That included reputable and diligent reporters/commentators and most LEOs. Unfortunately few bothered to update their knowledge when the facts came out a couple of years later.

I know people here do not want to believe it, but the fact is that it is easy to buy a gun in most places around the country. There are private sellers to be had at all gun shows. If someone is well connected in the community, they can usually buy one from a friend of a friend of a friend who needs to sell one to raise some quick cash for whatever.

The other difference is that it is a lot easier to shoot a gun than to make a bomb. Columbine is a prime example. Those guys' propane bomb did not go off. Both the Oklahoma City and the Boston bombers had explosives training.

When you go and make claims on a non-gun forum that can be shown to be incorrect, you only serve to make all gun owners look delusional and unhinged, exactly the type of people who most reasonable people think should not be owning guns.

4. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I generally don't listen to other people's opinions on anything.

It's because nobody is honest and not that many are any smarter than I am.

5. kiole

kiole

Claiming guns aren’t powerful and aren’t easily obtainable seems like an odd hill to die on.

There are 400 million guns in this country so someone is buying them relatively easily. I can walk into a gun store and leave with a gun in 30 minutes. That seems relatively easy.

A metal projectile traveling at 3000 ft/s would appear to make a gun relatively powerful compared to a rock.

I never understood fighting anti gun crowds with these nonsense arguments. Who cares if they’re easy to obtain and powerful. The fact is we have a right to defend ourselves and possess firearms. Everything else is irrelevant.

I choose to use a gun for defense because it’s an easy to obtain powerful defense tool.

Using the not powerful or easily obtainable argument seems like a weird place to waste energy arguing it.

catman71 likes this.
  6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

The reason I had a problem with her saying this, is that the Left wants people to believe that guns are sold out of the back of pickup trucks on every street corner in America. They aren't focusing on how easy they are to purchase legally from an FFL, they're trying to goad people into believing that they are easy to obtain for any Tom, Dick, and Harry, regardless of what their criminal history is, what their age is, or what their intentions are. I was pretty sure this was common knowledge.....am I wrong?

In as far as the "powerful" argument, again...same thing: they are trying to goad people into believing falsehoods about everything from bullet damage to rate of fire. I don't need to explain this, I'm sure.....there's plenty of examples of this out there by Leftist politicians, especially within the past decade.

You can believe it's an odd hill to die on, go ahead.....but I would expect anyone who cares about firearms at all to explain away these falsehoods whenever possible.

7. c6601a

c6601a

That happens to be true. Most people like you or I do not need to buy from Tom Dick and Harry because we can buy from a FFL. But the few criminals that can only buy from Tom Dick or Harry can easily get it from them. By denying this fact, you come across as either ignorant or dishonest and the reader gets to pick which one.

Are you volunteering to get shot by a 22 or a 9mm or whatever you consider to be a less powerful bullet? Until you are, bullets are powerful enough to kill and that is all that matters. Maybe a mortician will care how damaged they leave the dead body, but for the rest of us it does not matter.

People on gun forums seem to get a bit too focused on what is a powerful caliber and what is not a powerful one and forget that even a less powerful caliber can be fatal and that is all that matters.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  8. Binge&Purge

Binge&Purge Making B&P Great Again

She left out a key tidbit of information. If we ban schools, there will be no more school shootings.

9. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

So anyway, back to the video. I thought it was actually pretty good at its stated purpose, which was that the myths that have grown up around Columbine have been and are dangerous. As the OP said, she didn't try to make much of an anti-gun pitch. She did say that getting firearms was easier than getting bombs, which is true. As far as the high-powered part goes, knowing that a 12 gauge shotgun was among the arsenal pretty much covers that too. Thanks for posting.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  10. SK2344

SK2344

It's just another story about this mass murder from someone who has delved into the background issues and this is OK for viewing or reviewing these events but I just know that two twisted young students decided for their own reasons to conduct a mass murder of innocent people. I have much to say about this and how it has infected our Society and what roll it plays in gun control. It was a black eye for our Country and as soon as the Mass Media get hold of it, then we have a Monster out there forever!

Jade Falcon likes this.
  11. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

12. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

I gave the vid about 30 seconds and then shut it off.

I found her a bit creepy and extremely unattractive. I saw no need to subject myself to that.

glock_collector and Jade Falcon like this.
  13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I watched. It was clear her slant from the start. In seconds that she was Goth was clear.

She had errors. The two successfully set off bombs for yrs before. Amazingly they all failed..

Then she totally FAILED in one of her stated causes/reasons (that I agree with). DONT KEEP THE TWO POS NAMES IN THE NEWS.

Do she repeats the POS names again, and again. How their parents get love letters...
    Call them what they are. Mentally, and emotionally defective trash. Do not mention their names.

That gal who said she believed in God? IIRC there is a back story. She had a "loss of faith " a time earlier. Like many when she came back to God she came back stronger, more willing to spread the word. That's why there was no doubt she was the one who said " yes". Other students, staff, parents knew that was her mindset. Maybe she was not asked before she was murdered.. But it was a response many expected she would have given.

Also if they asked one (known Religious) student... Isn't it likely they would taunt another known Bible Banger? (IF my memory is right)

IMO removing the punks names. The media has encouraged copycats.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Jade Falcon likes this.
  14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Ok it's no surprise she was a total Goth in HS. Mortician creeps out many people. Her opinions were not always well researched. From start she wanted to distance them from her group.
    I had almost forgotten the names of those punks. She repeated them, again, and again with yearbook pictures... Hated that.

Jade Falcon likes this.