Glock 26 Thoughts on this G26 Gen2.5 ???

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jersey Devil, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

I just picked up this G26 Gen2.5 on Saturday, and I have a few questions.

The story goes that the original owner purchased the pistol circa 1995 and fired approximately 50 rounds through it then cleaned the barrel and it's been in a safe ever since.

First, there is a copper-colored substance in small amounts on several areas of both the slide and frame. I thought that I read somewhere that this substance was from the factory and is usually cleaned off the pistol after the first good cleaning. Is that true?

Second, the magazines both have "+" bases. One has a basic "+" while the other has what appears to be an original "+2" base. Would these have been original to the pistol, or have these been added (or mags switched out) at some point??

Third, there is no magazine loader. Would the G26 have come with a mag loader, or are the G26 mags so short that a mag loader would not have been needed / included???

Fourth, and last for now, the serial number is BRU104US. The best I can come up with is an approximate year of 1995, which would jive with the original owner's information. Can anyone here tell me what date this pistol was "born" on????

Thanks all for any information you can offer me. I'm really excited to function fire this pistol, and use it off duty.

Cheers,
    ---Brian

Attached Files:

6Actual, DEM and Aslan like this.
  2. Aslan

Aslan Aslan

Congrats on your find from a huge 26 fan! The copper colored substance is of Glock factory origin. No need to clean it off. The longer it stays, the better.

Others more knowledgeable than I will no doubt reply to your remaining questions.

Jersey Devil likes this.

3. HonkeyFries

HonkeyFries

Holy jeepers those finger grooves are baby butt smooth.
    I do not believe the mag loader was around back then. Those mag plates are defintely not original.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  4. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

My 1994 G21 came with a mag loader as well as my 1997 G27 2.5

FYI, if for any reason you swap the RSA, please keep the original and make sure the new one does not have issues fully closing the slide. See this thread

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/g27-2-5-and-gen-4-rsa.1446146/

There have been 3 versions of RSA's for the 26/27. The first version had a voluntary recall from Glock because the base would some times crack.

Enjoy that G26. I still like my G27 2.5 very much.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

What????? No magazine loader? DEMAND your money back!!!!!

Only kidding, you really found a treasure with this one. Congratulations.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  6. G29guy06

G29guy06

Congrats on the "old" 26. Answers 2 question1: yes that copper stuff is a factory "lube" and it backs up the lack of use by the prior owner...good stuff. Q2: yes those mag base plates are an add on by the previous owner. The last 2 questions I can't answer but it appears someone got #3 already. I wouldn't sweat the loader, I have a bunch of them but don't use them.

At the very least you've got an older model thats in great shape and thats a win

Jersey Devil likes this.
  7. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I have a 2.5 gen G-26 BRU xxx also. Oct-Nov 1995 production.
    As new yours still has the anti seize grease in it, mine a LEO G-26 came with two mags one flat one (+) unmarked base. Glock + base part 7151 is stock for your gun. So ones original one added later marked +2 part 1967. They are made slick sided too to match.
    Glock made them just for the 2.5 gens. Even today they never made them with a checkered look.

I don't know my serial #off hand other than BRU, but mines a blue label LEO pistol. PM me and we can compare. Mine also has Meprolite N/S. And of course came with a mag loader.
    I can send you the correct 483 marked mag loader. Is your box a blue or white label?
    Ps I can get 13 rounds in my bigger + bottom.
    How much did you pay?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Jersey Devil likes this.
  8. Mike-M

Mike-M

Barry, I'm not sure I understand that thread.

I think there you are saying that:
    1. Glock replaced the original RSA in 2012 with one marked 0-8. It caused problems returning the slide to battery and resulted in two failures to fire.
    AND
    2. You replaced that RSA with a pre-2012 RSA (unmarked?) that corrected the problems.

The current RSA for the G26/27/33 is marked 0-8-1. I have not had any problems with it in my Gen2.5 G27.
    I like mine too, now that it's got a G33 barrel in it. The original .40SW barrels in the Gen2.5 G27 are from the "kaboom" era of Glock .40SW barrels, and lack full case support. That was a good excuse to convert to the excellent .357SIG cartridge.:)

Buckshot Barry and Jersey Devil like this.
  9. Locust414

Locust414

I always thought G26 always had the dual spring RSA.

Your mags are Glock. The base plates were added by the original owner I would bet.

The gold copper lube should stay, but, do lube your 26 where indicated before you shoot it, the copper grease helps to break in the metal to metal spots where the gun contacts metal to metal.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  10. Mike-M

Mike-M

On the OP's 1995 G26, even if has fired zero rounds since it was sold, I would replace as a minimum:

1. RSA. Current version is marked 0-8-1. This is the part that most commonly wears out. The design has been improved as well.
    2. Coil trigger spring. This is the part that most often breaks.
    3. Slide lock spring. That old leaf spring will be significantly deformed, compared to a new spring.

Other updates to consider:
    4. Slide stop lever and spring. The wire spring weakens, which can cause premature slide stop before the magazine is empty.
    5. Trigger with trigger bar, and trigger mechanism housing. The current parts have improved attachment points for the coil trigger spring that reduce hook failure of part 2 above.
    6. Magazine springs. Just because. :)

All of the above OEM parts are very inexpensive.

Jersey Devil and 125K9 like this.
  11. Mike-M

Mike-M

They have. ALL subcompacts of all calibers have always used the captured dual-spring RSAs since the first ones came out in 1995.

However, those RSAs have been improved in design several times since introduction.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  12. Jersey Devil

Jersey Devil

Thank you all for the information and advice.

I have an order coming from Glock directly, but many of the parts that are suggested for me to get herein don't seem to be available from them.

I did some reading and several people have stated to be careful when ordering Glock OEM parts. Apparently there are some frauds out there. Is this true? If so, may I ask where / who are good suppliers for authentic Glock OEM parts??

I'm a big believer in keeping the original parts (unless broken), so I'll be sure to keep a baggie of the original parts that came with the pistol in its case.

Thanks again for all the great info and advice.

13. cadillacguns

Ok I took a pic of mine BRU549 but can't post it till I get back to work Sunday so stay tuned.
    Pm me your addy and I'll send you a correct mag loader to complete your kit.
    I don't carry mine ask carry a 2.5 yen G-27 BSA prefix.
    On e bay as mentioned replacement parts are out there but an original 2.5 gen RSA is different. I got a current one for my G-27, had problems, got an early one and all is well. Thanks to Glocktalk members like Buckshot showing me the way. Carry it and trust your and your families life on it. No need to upgrade to a newer one if this one works fine.
    I am about to head out to BW3, I guess since I got it out for a pic I may as well take it with me for some WINGS!
    It's loaded with 124 (+P) gr SPEER GDHP.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  14. TakeDown

TakeDown

First of all, that's a great find on a very old gun! I can only be so lucky to find such a score! I usually get my OEM parts from Brownells, Glockparts.com, Top Gun Supply, or ebay seller "ecop." The first three have been around for awhile and they're definitely gtg.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  15. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

You can easily buy a 9mm mag loader. The gun came with one.

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

FYI I love the gen2 glocks.... way older than yours.. the one on my hip right now is serial AMYxxx from around 1992 or so. I have others much older..

Jersey Devil likes this.
  17. hurley842002

hurley842002

The only thoughts I have, are that I want it! Nice find OP.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  18. cadillacguns

I am sending out a care pkg with a mag loader and flush baseplate and insert to the Devil for him to try today.

Jersey Devil likes this.
  19. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

"QUOTE"
    The copper colored substance is of Glock factory origin. No need to clean it off. The longer it stays, the better.

WHY??

20. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Mike,

Yes, you read my post correctly.

So I went and looked at the 2012 RSA that Glock Smyrna installed and it is marked 0-8

Then I looked at my circa 2014 G26 Gen 3 and it's RSA is marked 0-8-1

Doing a slight slide retraction test with all 3 RSA's in my G27 2.5 seem to have the same closure force. I'll have to do a range test to see if the slide fully closed issue still exists with the newest RSA.

Thanks so much for bringing this up.

Jersey Devil likes this.