close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on the new M&P 2.0 Compact

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by BigMick, Sep 13, 2017.

1. BigMick

BigMick

I've seen a few short articles and advertisements for the new Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact recently and I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by it. It is basically a Glock 19 sized M&P. What I like about it over the Glock is the 18 degree grip angle, the grip texture, metal sights, stainless steel inner chassis, and just the basic styling. The thing I don't like as much is the articulated trigger, of course that can be changed out for an Apex unit.
    I had planned on picking up a gen 5 19, but now I'm not so sure. I may wait a while and see what kind of reviews and real world experience people have with the 2.0 compact first. What are the initial thoughts of the GT folks? Like it, hate it, don't care? Let's hear it?

Horn, Mark2Glock, Denny Symes and 4 others like this.
  2. Quade

Quade

Like you I was close to deciding between a Gen 4 or new Gen 5 19, but seeing this new M&P Compact has me holding off for a bit.

I want to at least hold one before I make a final decision, very intrigued by what I've seen so far!

Plus I do like the M&P series as well, so this is a really nice addition.

3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

I didn't see anything on their website about it. Perhaps I overlooked it.

4. BigMick

BigMick

You can pre order one from Brownell's right now for $499.99.

5. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

Just saw it at Brownells. The .40 interests me. Common sense tells me to let the gun play out for a while before I bite.

6. Quade

Quade

If you look at Smith and Wesson's site, under the M&P2.0, they now show the Compact as one of the options.
    But I didn't see any big announcement or anything, it just sort of appeared there!

They did do a sort of funny post on Facebook last week with a picture of a Model 19 revolver, and mentioning they also made a great Polymer Compact as well, but seemed like most people didn't get it.

So far Brownells is the only place I've seen them for pre-order.

7. BigMick

BigMick

I was thinking the same thing. However, it's not as if it's a whole new design or anything, but there still may be some teething issues to work out. I'll wait awhile as well.

8. Hoff

Hoff Millennium Member

Intriguing

BigMick likes this.
  9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Brownells was supposed to have them this week. I'm tempted, I've always liked the M&Ps.

GlockWheeler, Sky King and BigMick like this.
  10. BigMick

BigMick

Yeah me too cowboy.

11. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I agree, very intriguing gun... and about time. Manufacturers are finally figuring out the sweet spot (size/capacity/shootabilty) that the G19 fills.

Tank41 and BigMick like this.
  12. Vincent Black

Vincent Black Need a cup?

1. Significantly better trigger reach for shorter fingers/small hands.

2. More aggressive grip texture

3. Significantly smaller grip with smallest back strap inserted, a VERY big deal for those like me with small hands.

4. Better ergonomics, this isn't up for debate, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Better trigger than the 1.0 version, has the same aftermarket support if you want to improve it.

6. Same exact size as the Glock 19 that also has a 15 round magazine capacity.

7. Competitively priced.

8. Can use 1.0 and 2.0 full sized magazines. (If sales do as well as I predict, companies like ETS might release reliable 30 round stick mags for it)

9. Great aftermarket support, nearly on par with Glock.

In my opinion, this is going to give the Glock 19 it's first serious competition it's ever had, there is now a striker fired pistol with the same exact dimensions and magazine capacity as Glock's most popular model. I've always said that Glock has been riding the wave of it's original design for over 30 years now, and has managed to keep everyone else at bay with it's reputation (Gen 3 and back) and aftermarket support.

But the M&P design has been around for 11 years now, and it's aftermarket support is extensive as well.

The Glock Gen 5 is improved, IMO, but I think it's a case of too little, too late and S&W is now in a position to do SERIOUS damage to Glock's market share. If the M&P Compact's reliability turns out to be on par with Glock, Glock may find themselves in serious trouble.

Personally, I hope this is the case. I've been wanting Glock to step outside the box, and this just might motivate them to do so.

*EDIT*

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing 1.0 and 2.0 full-sized 4.25 and 5 inch barrel versions with grips chopped down to "Compact" length? :p

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  13. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Considering the way the backstraps are held in place, it would be a little more involved to grip chop an M&P than a Glock.

packinaglock and March817 like this.
  14. Vincent Black

I suppose the correct back strap could be epoxied or glued into place if the owner wasn't concerned with selling it later on down the road.

15. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

There is now. http://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-m20-compact .

Someone on the S&W forum posted a link with more detailed spec sheet is at https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/spec-sheets/11683.pdf .

The spec sheet pretty much says "See Glock 19".

I have a Gen 4 G19 I do not shoot as well as my G43. There is something about the shape of the G19 frame and my hands that results in the gun rapping the knuckle of thumb when I shoot among other things and that does not happen with the M&Ps I have rented or most other guns for that matter. I have held and dry fired the full size M&P 2.0 and since the main difference is a half inch shorter grip I am confident I will like the way the compact feels too. I am probably going to give this gun a try.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  16. Vincent Black

If the M&P 2.0 Compact is as good as I believe it will be, I will be getting one and become a "M&P guy", my Gen 4 Glock 19 will be regulated to back up pistol at that point. Note I said back up pistol, I have NO intentions of selling mine, it's reliable and I can get FACTORY 33 round stick mags and 15 & 17 round magazines for it all day long.

Even if I end up shooting the M&P better, and I have no reason to doubt that I will be able to shoot a pistol that fits my hands better, the Gen 4 Glock 19 is still one hell of a back up pistol, and that's hard to argue against.

17. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

People have been asking for a Glock 19 sized M&P for years. No doubt it'll be a good seller.

18. Vincent Black

If it sells like I think it will, you might see more than a few used Glock 19's in gun shops in the coming months.

rfd339 and Bennydabull like this.
  19. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

If as good as my full size M&P 45 ACP 2.0 then I think it will be very good.

20. 25signal

25signal

Like others, was in the market for a G19 but will now wait to see how the 2.0 compact feels.

Quigley150 and Quade like this.