close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on SSD's?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drjones, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Hey guys. I've been toying with the idea of getting a SSD - even a low-capacity one - to use for my OS & everyday stuff. I have an NAS, so capacity on the SSD isn't an issue, I'm just interested in the potential speed increase that SSDs can offer.

Just thought I'd see what you guys think. I really do pretty average stuff with my PC: Word, Excel, lots of internet, iTunes & music, etc.

The greatly reduced boot & shutdown times (some people report boot time cut in half or better) as well as potential overall speed increases are really tempting....what do you guys say? Or would a better processor (or whole new system), more RAM, yield a better performance increase?

Thanks!

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

If you get one, make sure it supports TRIM or your speed will slowly decrese to a crawl.

It isn't a very "established" technology yet, they're still working out the bugs but, it's stable and fast now. Just don't buy the cheapest thing you can find, get a decent, TRIM enabled drive and your experience should be very,very satisfying, if the reports of my contemporaries are to be believed.

3. Linux3

Linux3

Just as there are no real standards for speeds of thumb drive, SSD drive performance is a bit of a crap shoot. Some offer very little performance over a good HD.

There are 2 basic types, SLC, single-level cell and MLC, multi-level cell "drives.
    The SLC is a way faster configuration and way more expensive. You can't do better than an Intel X25-E, a true game changer and the SSD of choice when my company is paying.

When I paid I went for MLC and it's all about the controller. Getting real world data I found to be a little tough but I had the tough assignment of testing SSD drives for our new systems.

My pick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227395

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Given their Price vs Performance, when compared to a Platter drive.. I wouldn't buy one. I think they look like a great idea, but I just don't think the technology is quite there yet.

IGF

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Agreed.

6. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks, but for $400, I'd absolutely buy a whole new computer.

The Intel drives have gotten pretty universal good reviews for performance, what do you think of this one: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Value-R...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266005443&sr=8-3

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I think, if I was going to do it I'd spend the extra 3 bucks and change and get it from NewEgg, if for no other reason than I'd prefer to deal with their CS department if something goes wrong than Amazon's ....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167025

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

On TigerDirect, $125 will buy you a 1.5TB SATA drive...

IGF

9. loki993

loki993

I wouldn't bite on one yet, its still too early. There is still things they need to address with them, lifespan for one, and they're still way too expensive for what you get. Sure you can get cheap ones, but they are basically crap. From what Ive seen, although its been a while, pretty much only the intel ones are really great and they are expensive.

If you want a fast drive that wont break the bank get a WD Black 640, its supposed to be almost as fast as a raptor for a ton less money. Its one of the fastest magnetic drives on the market I believe. Yes there are samsungs that are faster, but I don't trust them, seen too many crash. Without knowing what kind of computer you have and whats in it we can really tell you if it would be better or not to just upgrade that.

10. GenX

GenX

Aren't ssd supposed to be more durable and less prone to failures as compared to a platter hd? No moving parts, seems like the best reason to go ssd for safer keeping of data.

11. Drjones

Drjones

;)

For those that asked, the computer I'm considering upgrading has a 2.8Ghz P4, 2GB RAM. It runs pretty darn well with Windows 7, but I'm always interested in better performance, of course.

12. GenX

GenX

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

The thing is, the speed increase isn't *that* dramatic. I've had an SSD. It would boot in around 10-12sec. When I put the same OS, on a similarly spec'd laptop, it booted in about 20-25sec..

IGF

14. Drjones

Drjones

That's a 50% reduction in boot time. How much greater of an improvement do you want?? :shocked:

15. area727

area727 G23

Like others have mentioned, it might be a little too soon to go out and drop a lot of money on one.

Intel came to my work and demo'd, and did a technology training for us. Of course they demo'd their top of the line drive. I will admit, it was impressive to see a machine cold boot as fast as it did. From what I understand (not just from the Intel visit), Intel makes the best SSD right now. You can buy a cheaper one, but it may not give you as much of the 'wow' factor you are looking for.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

For the amount of money you spend per gb over a platter drive, that 10sec, is not that big of a deal. I know you have a NAS, so maybe it would work better for you...

IGF

17. Linux3

Linux3

Wow, prices have come down.
    For people who say there isn't a real big difference in speed. It may be because they bought a SSD on price alone or they bought a system with one installed. None of the pre-installed SSDs in laptops from Dell and Lenovo were worth much.

It's not just the performance, it's also battery life. I have another laptop I'm thinking of putting an SSD in. Running Linux, a 40 gb drive is plenty.
    Thanks for the tip.

18. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I see you missed my point, entirely.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Not at all...

Was just making a point that for $125 you can have 40gigs of space, that probably runs on average 20-30% faster, or for 125 you can have a 1.5TB drive. Didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

IGF

20. podwich

podwich

I love my SSD. I have 2 traditional HDD for storage and such and use the SSD for Windows and programs. Boot time was halved. Program startup is quite quick. I got an OCZ Vertex and have the computer set to run TRIM on each startup. I use Vista so that isn't supported natively (I think it is on Win7 but don't hold me to that).