Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a search and read up a bit, but even though there is some negative feedback out there, I'm still optimistic that with the proper precautions, it could work just fine. I've read a couple complaints about rounds being ejected from the stock due to recoil, but it sounds like it only happens, in most cases at least, if there is only one round left inside. It could also be a case of weak follower springs. I'd appreciate any insight and past experiences y'awl can share.

·
Lean & Mean
15,587 Posts
I'm not finding them natural to work with. Shells are coming in and going out under a slight angle which makes retrieving the shells quickly a tricky feat (at least for me). I much prefer the saddles or the wrap around shell holders. Also the recoil pad could be as well made out of the concrete (at least on the model I had). I removed it after 2 or 3 months and replace it with the plain, standard butt stock which I'm finding much more solid and 3 times cheaper than Speed Feed.

Reactions: Vigilant

·
****** Viejo
29,571 Posts
I've done a search and read up a bit, but even though there is some negative feedback out there, I'm still optimistic that with the proper precautions, it could work just fine. I've read a couple complaints about rounds being ejected from the stock due to recoil, but it sounds like it only happens, in most cases at least, if there is only one round left inside. It could also be a case of weak follower springs. I'd appreciate any insight and past experiences y'awl can share.

I've had rounds jump out of the tubes. Never again. YMMV.tom.

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's about all I need. Thanks, gentlemen. And I agree, the "recoil pad" sucks. Looks like I'm torn between a 6-round shell card on the receiver, or a really good buttstock shell carrier. Gonna be another Speed Feed stock on Ebay.

·
Registered
215 Posts
my post may be a little late . I bought an ex-Police 870 ,with feed stock, and extended magazine .I dont remember if shells popped out when I shot it ,may not have shot it with them in .Have not tried this yet But just got to thinking if you load shells into stock ,then use an elastic stock shell holder ,pulled over them just enough to hold the shells from coming out of stock ,leaving them as a last reserve or in my case finish topping of ext. magazine. Since my extra butt cuff I have laying around only holds 5 shells.As for the recoil pad ,i left the old recoil pad on and put a Limbsaver slip on pad on that i had laying around not using ,does make stock a little longer , but I only use it for home defense ,might be different if you hunt with it ,but its not enough to bother me ,your mileage may very .And it does cut a lot of recoil out. Just something to try if you already have the speed feed stock

·
Premium Member
26,327 Posts
It seems like it SHOULD be a good idea. Spare ammo on weapon. Why hasn’t it been done well? Even if a bit slower? Spring tube with a sliding cover, with detent?

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
Kentucky State Police issued them around the late '80s/early'90s. That had problems with them and I've never seen an advantage that made me want to pay for one. I use sidesaddles on the receiver and that's all.

Reactions: Cambo and Vigilant

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
That's about all I need. Thanks, gentlemen. And I agree, the "recoil pad" sucks. Looks like I'm torn between a 6-round shell card on the receiver, or a really good buttstock shell carrier. Gonna be another Speed Feed stock on Ebay.
I've used most things - the buttstock ones always had the disadvantages of (a) hurting your face and (b) loosening up.

On the other hand, the sidesaddle on the receiver puts the ammo right where you need it to reload.

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up with a shell card, but I'm in no rush. I just ordered a Hogue overmolded stock, which I hear does help a bit with recoil. Even though recoil has never bothered me at all when shooting Federal LE132 00 buck.

·
Huge Member
11,407 Posts
I replaced the original wood stocks on my old Moss 500 with plastic ones for a Maverick 88. The recoil pad on the plastic stock is very good.

I also painted the shotgun with high temp engine paint and baked it on. I added a stock pouch which has a velcro shell holder. You can put it on the outside or inside the pocket. The zippered pocket will hold the shell holder and additional 5 rounds so ten rounds inside and 5 outside. Or with out the shell holder inside it will hold 10 12 ga or 15 20 ga shells. I carry this shotgun in my truck most of the time and keep the pouch strapped to it. During turkey season I swap out barrel and carry 5 rounds outside and 5 inside.

The pouches are pretty cheap, I use them on my single shots as well...

I suppose the pouches would hold a bunch of mini shells if so inclined.

Reactions: Gauss Rifle

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mac, where did you find those pouches? I'd like to have a closer look.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I guess maybe I'm the one guy who hasn't had any problems with my speed feeds. I like mine alot. I also have a side saddle on the reciever.

·
Huge Member
11,407 Posts

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
ONe came with my Mossberg 590A1. I don't know if it's Mossberg's own, or a "speed feed" if that's its own brand. The rounds are in there tight. Takes some practice to get them out. I see it more as shell storage for different loads, slugs, or rubber buckshot for example, but not as a tactical speed reload situation.

I took a tactical shotgun gun, which really helped my speed operating that thing. You can get pretty fast going from a side saddle and single loading into an empty chamber

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Speedfeed was acquired by Safariland some time back (at least 2011, if not earlier). In 2016, the Speedfeed stocks were in the Safariland catalog. By 2017, there was no further advertisement of the Speedfeed brand or shotgun stocks. There still might be new-but-old-stock laying around at some retailers.

Here are some internet references. BTW, I've had shotgun shells fall out more with inexpensive elastic buttstock and card-holders. I should probably buy better quality elastic cards next time. I have heard of the Speedfeed shotgun stock shell holders sometimes letting loose, but I've not had that problem (I've only had to qualify 2x/year for ~15 yrs. with a Speedfeed stock, however).

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread...tgun-stocks-has-been-killed-off-by-Safariland

https://adsinc.com/brand/safariland-speedfeed/

https://www.safariland.com/on/deman...ster Catalog_Firearms Accessories_148-173.pdf

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/03/18/safariland-a-tacs-shotgun-stocks/

·
Huge Member
11,407 Posts
Reactions: L-2
1 - 19 of 19 Posts