close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on SmartCarry holster

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RGVGuy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. RGVGuy

RGVGuy

Old guy, new Glocker, with bad back, looking at SmartCarry for CC.
    My back doesn't like tight belts but this holster looks like it may be just the ticket for me, as it rides much lower on the hips.

Any thoughts or experiences?

:dunno:

2. Jdog

Jdog

as far as hips go ...you mean the strap and not the gun right?

3. JCW355

JCW355 9MM user

Carry a Glock 19 in mine. You have to get use to it. I like it. No one even knows its there. Your pants can't be tight or it will probably be uncomfortable. I use my smart carry when I'm wearing a tucked in polo type shirt and dress slacks. You can also wear it at 3 or 4 o'clock like an IWB holster. If you get one wear it for a few days before you decide you don't like it. I liked mine right from the beginning, some people just don't like them.

4. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

I personally had one and hated it. I never could find a way to wear the thing where I could sit for long periods of time and it not be uncomfortable as hell. Thats just me, maybe you will have better luck with it.

5. JCW355

JCW355 9MM user

I believe you can return it if you don't like it. Ask about that if you order one. I've had mine for a few years now and am pretty sure it was that way when I bought mine.

6. MarccraM

MarccraM

I have three and never use them.. Pants have to be big and I could never find a comfortable position.

What really turned me off is that I was wearing one one day while out to dinner with my wife and son..... They were sitting opposite me in a booth... It occurred to me at some point that I had a loaded gun pointed at my 12 year old (when you sit the position it takes is pointing straight on front of you).

I proceeded to get up and remove my firearm in my car. Haven't used one since.

7. RGVGuy

RGVGuy

Jdog, I guess I mis-spoke. I meant on the hips NOT on the waist.

Thanks guys, nothing better than input from actual wearers.
    I just don't think a belted holster would be comfortable for me.

Thanks
    Vern

8. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

If you are wearing a proper gun belt, it won't have to be as tight as would be with a normal belt, IMO. I highly recommend the Supertuck along with a Crossbreed or Beltman belt. Crossbreed also offers a 2-week try-out period, if I recall.

9. The Prof

The Prof

I have been wearing one since 2002. I have carried G30's, G21's, and am now carrying either a Sig P220 or an H&K HK45. Like another poster said, you do have to get used to it. Like wearing a ring or a watch. But you will and also will forget that you have it on.

10. gtalum1996

gtalum1996

You are probably already aware of the other options, but i will list them just in case your not. Pocket carry, belly bands, Maxpedition fat boy man purses, holster shirts, fanny packs, or even a nice shoulder holster like a galco, may be viable options for someone with back problems. I personally had to quit wearing steel guns like the 1911 and Sig because my lower back wouldnt handle the weight anymore. I now carry a G26 and love it. Accurate and light weight. I have carried a G19 in a shoulder holster, and that helps with lower back strain.

11. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

I like mine. I only use it when I can't use any other type of holster, however. I've come to like OWB carry more than anything and it seems to be the most comfortable.

12. docmark777

docmark777

I found it comfortable enough, until i needed to reholster--then I expected to get arrested for having both hands down my pants with a gun trying to find what has become a potential holster, but not really a holster any more--you have to find that little flap of cloth to create an opening.
    Anyway, great for deep concealment. Dont think about it if you intend to ever need to reholster. I place the gun in the smart carry and dont think about it until taking pants off. If I have to pull it out in between, then I will probably have fired it and will just stick it into a pocket. Because when the cops arrive, I'll be handing it to them, they will already have asked me to put it on the floor. I will never fire my weapon and them be seen for the next five minutes playing in my pants trying to find a way to reholster the smart carry. Again, I like it for deep cover, but it isn't the type of holster you take to the range!

13. viniglock

viniglock

It is one more option, if you do not want to pay the price of the smartcarry you can try this guy on ebay:

The guy offers you 4 Guarantee. Bought it recently and have use more that my belly band holster.

14. TRX450R_Racer

TRX450R_Racer Punisher

+100000

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

SmartCarry works for when I am wearing basketball shorts or sweats.
    All other dress I wear a proper belt and holster.

16. The Prof

The Prof

As I poster earlier, I have been wearing a SmartCarry holster since 2002. I alternate between the Sig P220 and H&K HK45. I have never had an issue with reholstering. I wear it everywhere, including the range, and it's never been a problem.

17. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Same here. And my SC usually just carries a J-frame; once in a while, a Glock 26. Anything larger goes on the belt.

18. PA Wizard

PA Wizard

Hey Guys!!!!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Charlie (the owner of Smartcarry)
    put a lot of work into R and D for this product!! He also holds a patent for it. The guy on Ebay is pure and simple ripping this guy off!! I think that we on GT stand for better than a blatant thievery!

I must point out , than as other than a satisfied customer, I have no connection to Smartcarry whatsoever!

I guess at this point I ought to dig out the ole flame suit huh?

Wiz

19. viniglock

viniglock

Interesting position. Would you care to elaborate more how the ebay guy is ripping off the smart-carry owner?
    :violin:
    Do you believe in monopoly or oligopoly?

I don't think he is the owner or the lower abdomen holster concept but only to the below:

"SmartCarry® is the only concealed carry lower abdomen holster with NO labels on the front for sights to snag on and a patented construction method that eliminates downward facing seams on the concealed gun holster top front edge that can (and do!) snag on the rear of the cylinders on revolvers or protrusions on semi-automatics when drawing the gun and has a 100% waterproof rear panel to keep perspiration away from your gun!"

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

This invention relates to a concealed carry holster for handguns that is designed so that it will not snag on the rear of the cylinders of revolvers or protrusions on some semi-automatic pistols when the firearm is drawn by the user. It is also carried independent of the wearers clothing and is not restrictive of any body movements made by the user.

U.S. Pat. No. 5,575,028, November 1996 Brau, et al., does not relate to a handgun holster, but is a TOOTH FAIRY PILLOW made of fabric sewn together with pockets and openings and the construction is similar to my invention. U.S. Pat. No. D. 333,570, March 1993, Murray, does not describe a handgun holster, but has similarities to my invention in that it is constructed of fabric, has a supporting strap for around the waist use and contains two pouches for the transportation of beverages. U.S. Pat. No. 3,227,336, March 1964, Dickey, describes a handgun holster that is worn inside the lower outer garment but depends on the wearer's belt or waist band for support. This method of attachment, varying with the weight of the handgun carried, will pull down on the lower outer garment, which can be annoying to the wearer, and leaves a portion of the attaching S-shaped clip or hook exposed above the wearers belt, unless an outer garment (sweater or jacket) is worn. U.S. Pat. No. 3,227,337 January 1966, Santo, Jr., shows a variety of holsters worn by the user attached to a belt, worn outside the trousers. No provision is made for the concealment of these holsters, unless a long jacket is worn, or for the carrying of a tactical back-up reload. U.S. Pat. No. 4,258,871, March 1981, McMahon, No. shows a holster that may be worn inside the lower trousers leg as an ankle holster or under the armpit as a shoulder holster. Ankle holsters have been shown to be very awkward and difficult to retrieve a weapon from, and eliminate female law enforcement officers or licensed concealed carry users from using these when wearing skirts. Also, the wearing of shorts by either male or female users prohibits the use of ankle holsters. When used under the armpit as a shoulder holster, additional clothing, such as a jacket or sweater must be worn to conceal the weapon. U.S. Pat. No. 5,570,830, November 1996, Nichols, shows a holster employing a spine and seamless construction but is not readily adaptable for concealed carry use or carrying of a tactical back up reload. U.S. Patent No. D 361,656, August 1995, Fogarty, Jr., shows a handgun holster of similar design to my invention but does not have firearm pockets of the correct shape for fast access when drawing of the firearm and it also has a border of bias tape along the top front edge of the firearm pockets, which has been shown to snag on the rear of cylinders of revolvers or forward-facing protrusions on some semi-automatic firearms when drawing the firearm, thus impeding the speed of retrieving the weapon.

I guess this people also ripping him off as well?
    http://www.stealthholster.com/node/11

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  20. PA Wizard

PA Wizard

He is mfg'g and or selling a direct copy of a patented item that the SC owner spent money to develop, PATENT, and still pays to advertise!!!!!!
    The Ebay ad even STEALS the name by using a Video on the wear and use of a "SMARTCARRY" . I won't even address the video from Youtube. The owner still retains copyright to it.

As for Monopoly or oglioploy, it is a LONG standing law of the land that inventers get a free and unfettered use of an original product or idea for a limited time. (17 yrs. plus 1 extension) This is to both reward the inventer AND to foster inovation and invention.

Exactly what in particular offends you so much about this "doctrine"??

Wiz

Edited to add:
    He has a use patent as well as, I believe, a design patent. I know a little about patents as I have been through the torture of obtaining one.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010