Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, all.

I'm new to the handgun optic world. I'd like to install one on my Gen 5 19 MOS, but not certain what will work, what's overpriced, what's good value per dollar, etc. I know I'm being broad and vague, but I truly am not sure where to start. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Take care, and have a great day!

Aaron

·
Registered
72 Posts
Noblex has a new one that just came out and is designed for the Glocks. Very low profile. But they have not been out long enough for any user feedback.

I have a Vortex on my 34 gen5 and it works great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
As much as a love red dots, I still find them a bit awkward on a pistol. We never used them in the Marines so I think I will always prefer good old trusty iron sights. That said, two red dots that I've really enjoyed on pistols are the Vortex Venom and the Burris Fastfire 3, but I still prefer irons. I actually reviewed both of these and talked about some other red dots I like for pistols here if you want to check it out! https://www.marineapproved.com/best-red-dot-sights-review/

·
Banned
547 Posts
Reactions: Wilmersdorfer

·
USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)
2,618 Posts
Leupold DeltaPoint Pro has a large window that allows my old eyes to quickly pick up the 2.5 red dot. No so much so with the RMR and others. YMMV.

Reactions: hemispheredancer

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Has the Holosun 508T number been changed ? I see models with added letters and such . Might not make a difference but I am totally new to this and do not want to break the bank and looking for an entry level unit and need the exact current model number. I have several Glock MOS pistols models 34 , 45 and 40 . I plan on using it on one of the 9 mm .

I also need to know what is needed to mount if it will not mount with the factory mounts that came with the Glock . Or if it will mount to the factory mounts.

My thoughts are if I like this type of sight I will buy a better unit for the 10 mm model 40

I am not trying to hijack the thread but think we are asking about the same questions .

·
Registered
257 Posts
Has the Holosun 508T number been changed ? I see models with added letters and such . Might not make a difference but I am totally new to this and do not want to break the bank and looking for an entry level unit and need the exact current model number. I have several Glock MOS pistols models 34 , 45 and 40 . I plan on using it on one of the 9 mm .

I also need to know what is needed to mount if it will not mount with the factory mounts that came with the Glock . Or if it will mount to the factory mounts.

My thoughts are if I like this type of sight I will buy a better unit for the 10 mm model 40

I am not trying to hijack the thread but think we are asking about the same questions .
I use a 34 in competition and carry a g40 hiking camping. Both have holosun 507c version 1 and 2. Holosun has several new models this year and 508T is one. The holosun options fit just fine with the standard Glock plates and holosun provides screws with the sight.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Stupid question alert !!! All the 507 I see have a picatinny mount that I assume can be taken off . Just checking to make sure as I said I know nothing about them at all . I ordered the one below to give it a try . I went as cheap as possible because I don't shoot a bunch and want to see if I like the MOS . I have 3 MOS pistols and have not even shot any of them yet . I did go to the instructions and it showed them removing the picatinny and mounting it on a Glock slide .

https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HS40.../B084WHQ84Q/ref=psdc_3226129011_t1_B084X5JF4R

Reactions: Willard

·
Who, me?
1,172 Posts
Stupid question alert !!! All the 507 I see have a picatinny mount that I assume can be taken off . Just checking to make sure as I said I know nothing about them at all . I ordered the one below to give it a try . I went as cheap as possible because I don't shoot a bunch and want to see if I like the MOS . I have 3 MOS pistols and have not even shot any of them yet .

https://www.amazon.com/HOLOSUN-HS40.../B084WHQ84Q/ref=psdc_3226129011_t1_B084X5JF4R
Yes, the Pic rail is a separate piece.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As much as a love red dots, I still find them a bit awkward on a pistol. We never used them in the Marines so I think I will always prefer good old trusty iron sights. That said, two red dots that I've really enjoyed on pistols are the Vortex Venom and the Burris Fastfire 3, but I still prefer irons. I actually reviewed both of these and talked about some other red dots I like for pistols here if you want to check it out! https://www.marineapproved.com/best-red-dot-sights-review/
I prefer irons, as well, as they keep clean the lines of the sidearm. Unfortunately, my eyesight isn't getting better as I age lol. Anything I can do to aid in target acquisition feels like a step in the right direction. Thanks much, Kevin!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leupold DeltaPoint Pro has a large window that allows my old eyes to quickly pick up the 2.5 red dot. No so much so with the RMR and others. YMMV.
I'll have to take a gander at the Leupold, Murray. Thanks much. Rather not sink that kind of coin, but a large view would be a great benefit.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all so very much for your thoughts. As of now, I'm liking the Holosun 508T Gen 2, but finding one is a bit like locating hens teeth; you hear about them, but never see them. I'll be checking the Leupold, but my wallet is definitely cringing over that one lol.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Thank you all so very much for your thoughts. As of now, I'm liking the Holosun 508T Gen 2, but finding one is a bit like locating hens teeth; you hear about them, but never see them. I'll be checking the Leupold, but my wallet is definitely cringing over that one lol.
Do yourself a favor and look up Sage Dynamics YouTube channel on red dots.

The Holosun offerings are excellent on a budget.

Depending on what purpose you plan on using it for these are features you should consider:

Auto-On or always on. Some units power off after 8 hours and don’t auto turn back on.

Auto-light adjust. Some don’t do it. Some do it better than others.

The RMR is the gold standard but isn’t as easy for newer shooters to red dots due to the smaller window. After a lot of practice it doesn’t matter as much and I like the even smaller Shield RMSc for micro compact handguns.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The holosun 507c version 2 in green or red is a great alternative and still available, cheaper too. Keep in mind the China supply line may be somewhat iffy for a period. I picked one up from optics plannet and love it. I have the version 1 in red as well. The version 2 has some nice improvements.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I use a 34 in competition and carry a g40 hiking camping. Both have holosun 507c version 1 and 2. Holosun has several new models this year and 508T is one. The holosun options fit just fine with the standard Glock plates and holosun provides screws with the sight.
Which plate number does it use? I’m curious.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
depends on frame size you are putting it on . I think it is 2 for 9 mm 40 size guns and 6 for 10 mm and 45 . I did not find a 508t nut found a 507 for a decent price and ordered it on Amazon to see if I like them or not . The link is in a post of mine above .

Reactions: -JCN-
1 - 20 of 22 Posts