Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I handled a PS90 today, never had the itch to get one but after handling it I became interested. What are your thoughts about the gun, reliability,etc, and your thoughts on the 5.7 caliber, which I either hear is great or anemic. Thank you:wavey:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
its actually a very good gun.
the weapon is reliable, i haven't seen one jam yet. but i really wish it was easier to load, its not difficult but awkward

the FN 5.7 is available at the local gander mountain, and gunshops , best bet is to order it online

i really like how it holds and the charging handle , with Tri-rails giving you the option of using any sight on the market, the standard sights weren't too impressive

the main benefit is you can shoot it in indoor ranges, some of the match grade civilian load is better then the banned stuff , and lets face it 50 rnds of anything and the bad guy is in a world of hurt

·
Registered
583 Posts
I really thought long and hard about a Personal Defense Weaopon or PDW. The PS90 and HK MP7 were the ones I was looking at.

After some discussion and research, I decided my PDW would be an AR Pistol. When you look at them ballistically, the MP7 and PS90 both put a 31 grain bullet downrange at about 2400fps. The AR Pistol will put a 55gr Bullet downrange at the same speeds. If you use a Nosler Partition, or Barnes TSX, you can get expansion down to 1800 FPS which should be doable out to 100 yards. (I would expect 100 yards to be PLENTY for a PDW).

Again, that's just the way I think, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
I have had one for several years now.

The weapon has great reliability. Never any FTF, FTE, or any problems. It and the ammo are very accurate and inexpensive compared to other calibers. Ergonomics are great and it is truly an ambidexterous gun. The recoil is slight and contrary to the other poster who has likely never fired a 5.7mm weapon, it makes a decent coyote gun. New shooters love for its lack of felt recoil and easy report.

Mine is carried on a handlebar setup on my ATV and with a couple of extra mags, I have 150 to 200 rounds readily available.

My only complaints are that I wish FN would make a five round magazine for javelina hunting and that the USG sight is difficult to see under certain lighting conditions and while it is also a tritium night sight, it has to be pitch black to benefit from it. Get the tri-rail version and mount a C-More or another electronic sight.

I hope that CZ will make a small action 5.7mm bolt rifle too.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
blue iron,

could you pin the mags in any way to get the 5 round magazine ?

also any semi auto hunting in az you need a 5 round mag,

not just javelinas

·
Nonentity
4,472 Posts
Any worry about the punch or lack of punch it packs?
This question is the source of quite a few arguments.

Fackler and some other wound ballistics researchers hate it. Some agencies have good results with it, some have bad results.

My feeling is that it's less of a worry you're lighting off rounds at a very high cyclic rate and with almost no recoil. In a semi version, I'm more concerned.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
As said above, great reliability, ease of shooting, very handy to handle and shoot etc....

The ability of the round itself is fine IMO, like all calibers it has it strengths and weaknesses. You can find boatloads of haters but then you can do the same for 5.56, 9mm, .380 etc, all of which have been and will continue to serve their users well. I would feel fine using the platform and the round for self defense, what it lacks in ballistics it more than makes up for it other factors IMO.

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought mine 6 months ago. I have friends that buy ammo for my PS90 they enjoy shooting it so much. I am going to sell my Rock River AR15 as it never comes out of the safe anymore since I bought the FN...

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
.22 Magnum.

Just had to blurt it out.
:rofl: Yeah with the 5.7 ammo available to civilians its not too much better. The PS90 in its police/military select fire version with AP ammo is good sub gun.

The civilian version? Pretty much a range toy. You would be better of with a .223 rifle for any serious applications. :dunno: JMHO...

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
5.7 ballistics out of the 4.5" barrel of the Five seveN handgun do match .22 Magnum ballistics out of a .22 Magnum rifle.

5.7 ballistics out of the 16" barrel of the PS90 exceed by a great deal the .22 Magnum ballistics out of a .22 Magnum rifle.

5.56 is a better round as far as ballistics go, but the 7.62mm is better than 5.56mm and so one. All calibers have their trade offs.

26" over length, 50 round mags, negligible recoil, great reliability and strong ergonomics. The little PS90 is so popular for many good reasons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one. Love it and would buy another. Id rather shoot it than my AR. It is a different expirience. You form around the gun. The round will kill you and the velocity will shatter bone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts