Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the feel of the S&W 649, but I have been cautioned against carrying one since a lawyer may make it appear that the single action capability was used to execute someone. If I am correct in this understanding, then I may be better served with a double action only offering. In which case, I believe I would prefer the Model 640 P with Dovetail Tritium Night Sight and Moon Clips. I mostly want it for the steel frame and its recoil absorbing characteristics. I don't plan on firing .357 Magnum out of it.
I have two misgiving.
First, I'm not sure if I need or want Moonclips. It sounds like the moonclips can be left in the gun and not ejected. But, I've always felt that they serve as an easily lost integral part which should not be loose during times of stress.
Second, I read an article where the author measured the 640s double action pull at fifteen pounds?
Is that correct? It seems very heavy.
I've handled a shrouded hammer J frame and I know I would much prefer the 649.
Any suggestions or comments?

Any alternative pocket pistols that you'd suggest?

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,959 Posts
Moon clips won't stay in the gun when the brass is ejected, but moon clips CAN very easily be bent to the point where they'll lock up the revolver.

Easiest solution to your lawyer's advice -- which I agree with -- is to take the 649 you already like to a competent gunsmith or S&W armorer and have the internal single action cocking notch removed, rendering it double action only.
best,
Mas

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. There's no lawyer, just Internet-Speak.
Hamstring-ing a new 649 is not an acceptable option.
If the 640 has such a heavy trigger pull, I think I'm just going to get a Ruger LCR in .38 Special. I understand they have a very nice trigger. ..... never thought I'd own a plastic pistol. But, I'm warming up to it.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried a Ruger LCR .357 at my local gun store. Very nice trigger. I paid for it and I'm in my CA ten day waiting period. I don't like the stock / bulky Hogue grip, so I ordered both the Hogue Rubber Bantam Boot Tamer Cushion Grip and the Pachmayr Diamond Pro Series Grips. I'll see which ones I shoot better with.

·
KoolAidAntidote
5,959 Posts
I tried a Ruger LCR .357 at my local gun store. Very nice trigger. I paid for it and I'm in my CA ten day waiting period. I don't like the stock / bulky Hogue grip, so I ordered both the Hogue Rubber Bantam Boot Tamer Cushion Grip and the Pachmayr Diamond Pro Series Grips. I'll see which ones I shoot better with.
Cool. Let us know which works out better for you.
best,
Mas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts