Thoughts on my recient concealed carry class!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mike7465, Jan 24, 2010.

1. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

GF gave me a concealed carry class for Christmas. Fun, eye opening, and a little scary. I imagine enough of you have been to one that you don't need a run down, but I thought I would talk about a few things. I live in NC so this only applies to NC.
    Fun: Any time at the range, is good time. We shot at 1, 3, 5 and 7 yards. These were in 5 shot sets. 2 shots and then 3 shots in under 7 seconds. We had our choice of any stance we wanted but we did have to shoot 2 rounds at 1 yard with the pistol below eye level. That was odd, I never shoot that way. GF did great, and her natural competitive streak came up when she saw my shooting, and said we have to go shooting more. :cool:
    Scary: There were lots of people there who had never shot their pistol before, and more than a few who had guns that were way over what they should shoot. (Think little old ladies that are tiny like birds shooting 357.) Just nuts. Thankfully we talked them into renting a pistol from the range and shooting something better suited to their needs. I love taking people shooting for the first time, but I hate to be around a group of people on their first time.
    Scary: The self defense laws of NC are open to a lot of interpertation. We need to get the boys up in the capitol to pass the laws I agree with and want. Self defense is a god given right and the hair splitting that is done in NC law is bad.

Funny part? My instructor spent a lot of time trying to talk me into joining his IDPA group... I did shoot pretty well that day!:whistling:

2. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

Congrats on taking your CCW.

We had an elderly couple in my class. Neither of them had ever fired a gun before. Another guy was showing off his NIB g19. He had just bought it for the class and hadn't fired it yet. Apparently he didn't know much about glocks - or guns - because after the first few shots on the range, he had a nice cut on his hand and it was dripping blood all over the place.

3. Flatfoot

Flatfoot

Congrats on going to the class. It's good to hear of so many responsible people getting their CCW these days.:thumbsup:

4. WarCry

WarCry

Be careful what you wish for. Vague laws are as much a boon to defense as prosecution....

I know this is wishful thinking, because laws that YOU agree with may not be the same as what your NEIGHBOR agrees with, so again, take what you have, smile, and if you can, keep an attorney on retainer if you're that worried about it. Asking for more, specific laws is not a good idea....

5. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

That'll happen when you have someone like Soles around. For those not aware, State Senator Soles was anti-gun, and ended up shooting an intruder. Last I heard, he was indicted on a felony charge of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious bodily injury.

6. mike7465

mike7465 Smirking

I guess having laws that I agree with is a bit vague. I guess it comes down to wanting castle laws, no duty to retreat, and protection of property.
    Some of you might disagree, but this is how I feel. To answer the next question that I can feel coming: I mean we should change the laws, not act in an irresponsible or illegal manner.

7. 2afreedom

2afreedom

The NC carry permit is basically a joke. Carry is restricted in so many places it's almost worthless. You can't carry in a movie theater, a restaurant that serves any alcohol, and proper signage carries the weight of law. We need CCW reform and a Castle Doctrine in the worst way. Unfortunately our state keeps electing the same political party to control both the legislature and the governor's mansion. Congratulations on getting your permit-every person that gets one strengthens our cause.

8. Mr V

Mr V

Try out the IDPA event.
    You don't need much equipmnet and its good shooting time.
    Take the GR with you and have fun.
    Its a good event that tries to minic events that you might encounter.
    You will of course get the serious "I got to win" shooters, but I do it as a learning experience.
    Contrats on the class, and for having a ggreat GF that would get that for you.

9. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Been there and seen that for sure.

But thinking about it, I'd rather a senior have handy a gun they have little experience with than no gun, when they need it. True...........a lot of things could be better. But at least they've taken the step that could save their lives.

I hope that they will continue to get further training, but don't suppose they will. But any gun one has and any training they have is better than none, when the shtf.

Just a thought.

10. failsafe

failsafe

Back in the early day's of CCW in MO, there was a elderly couple that brought some POS , to qualify with...Whatever it was, it was a jamomatic..
    The instructor, was very patient, what should have taken 10 minutes, turned into 30 min's..What with clearing the weapon and such...
    My take after that, is that there should have been an entry CCW class that would have been more for beginner's and a class for more experienced shooter's..
    Unfortunately in MO, the class time is the same for both, so why distinguish...
    :crying:

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I did a VERY close CQB class about 2 years ago. I'm no shooter, but wound up being ace of my class. THAT was scary.

Try double-taps from the hip after draw. Draw, straighten wrist, lean back, fire. In a line with 3 other guys.

Oh, and I took SIG school. They were training draw-while-seated. You were facing the side wall with the target on your strong side. 6 in a line. I get the ABSOLUTE NEWBIE GIRL who had almost dropped a gun and didn't understand range safety BEHIND me. All I could think of was she wasn't going to lift her arm out straight to her right but straight in front and nail me in the head.

Did not like!

12. fwm

fwm

Anybody that doesn't agree with that never had a man card, or is English.

13. Steve0853

Steve0853

Also, 2a, one of the good things about the NC CCW permit is that NC reciprocates with a lot of other states. That comes in handy when you hit the road.

Don't give up on getting the Dems out of office. I live in a county where a Republican couldn't even catch cold back in the 60's and 70's. Now, almost 100% of elected offices are filled with R's.

Besides, with so many Dems going to prison, they can't restock ALL of them. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

and there was a lot more to that story than just "shooting an intruder".

mike.. glad you enjoyed parts of the class. One of my passions, is taking new shooters to the range. Friends, relatives of friends, friends of friends.. etc. I always enjoy it, and I think its something we should all do.

15. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I'll bet that if he was right handed, the cut was on his left hand, eh?

He was probably a revolver shooter, used to holding the gun so his off-hand thumb is behind the grip.

When they try that with a semi-auto they are not used to, the slide cuts the heck out of that support side thumb.

That is why the proper grip is to point BOTH thumbs at the target. DO NOT cross your support hand thumb behind the grip.

:steamed:

It is a better, more solid grip, with EITHER revolvers or semi-autos.

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

Many congrats my friend:thumbsup:

17. rauldduke1979

rauldduke1979

I took my CCW class in Ohio in 2008 and some of the things I saw and heard made me think - just for a second - that maybe the gun grabbers have a point:

1. The instructors was also a lawyer for the gun shop where the class was held and he was selling lasers every chance he got. I don't know; I think a lot of serious instructors (at places like Thunder Ranch, etc) seem to be mixed on lasers but this guy was just certain every pistol should also have a laser on it. He even mentioned that the laser was "a deterrent" when the perp looks down and sees the laser on him.

2. He also recommended that everyone should load their pistol with "snake shot" as at least the first round - his logic was that snake shot would stick in the perp's skin "where the nerves are" and cause the guy pain.

3. He also suggested the use of bird shot in HD shotguns.

4. There was a woman in the class who must have been about 70 or so who had recently purchased (read:been sold by the same gun store) a P22 (with a - shock! - laser) for HD. She had never fired a gun in her life and was afraid to fire the .22 during the live fire training.

18. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

19. smullen

smullen

Took mine 2 weeks ago and just picked up my Mo Don-Drivers ID with the CCW endorsment today...

I agree on both counts...

Anytime I get to learn anything about guns and get a little range time, its all good!!!

Alot of the legal stuff was eye opening...

20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Was he wearing tigerstripe fatigue pants, too? :rofl::rofl:

I prefer to save my lasers for my Frickin Sharks!