close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Thoughts on Kel-Tec PF9?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I'm thinking of trading in one of my less used guns towards a Kel-Tec PF9. I'd like to have a Pocket 9 to go with my Pocket .380 and .38s. Anyone have any input on them? Anything I should be aware of? Any problems, etc?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. CC Glock

CC Glock

i have been thinking about getting my mom one, she has a s&w 38spl right now. they have a long triger pull and i was told it wasnt much of a range gun but for cc it was ok.

3. a_tack

a_tack

Had one. Very accurate for its size, easily concealable, never has a malfunction. I sold it, and don't regret it. It wasnt a very pleasant shooter and I didn't find myself carrying it very often. If you want a pocket 9mm though, I would definitely reccomend a PF-9. Even though I didn't like mine, it was accurate and reliable.

4. CC Glock

CC Glock

what did you think of the triger pull? A good first semi auto gun?

5. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Accurate shooter, but some are ammo sensitive. The trigger pull is a long hard 9lbs and it's a snappy shooter that will wear your hand out quickly. It's light and easily carried, but may be too big for some pockets. The P3AT in .380 is much better for pocket carry.

6. yerscattergun

yerscattergun

Thoughts on the PF-9? Think about it for a second, then forget about it.

Then buy something that might actually go bang when you want it too. :supergrin:

7. SHOOTR13

SHOOTR13 G30SF Owner

I own a PF-9...and carry it often. It's small, concealable, lightweight, and is a much better self-defense caliber than a .380.

It's a reliable carry piece. I've put 350 rounds through mine before I considered it reliable enough for self protection.

And as others have pointed out...it's not a range piece. As with any tool, it serves a particular purpose.

If you want a good conceal carry piece in a decent caliber for self-defense...you can't go wrong with a Kel Tec PF-9.

If you want a range piece...well, there's plenty to choose from...hope this helps.

MOS 11B is "Rifle Infantryman"...good luck soldier !!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. Dandapani

Dandapani

My son has one. We installed a Hogue Hand-All JR grip adapter on it, and it made a world of difference in shooting comfort.

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

OK for the price.
    :supergrin:

10. rfd339

rfd339

I like the pf9 but would opt for the pps for a few more $$.

11. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I guess its a newer line of pistol than my P11, but I think they are good guns, especially for the price. Handall Jr. +1. Kel-Tec makes solid pieces. Mine is not that accurate, but is quite concealable...:cool:

12. joshs74nova

joshs74nova

I own one. It has the stainless belt clip for IWB carry (appendix). I don't see how anyone could carry a PF-9 pocket carry. It's just too large for that. Like others here have stated it is not a range gun. But protection yes. Kel-Tec's customer service is second to none, and their all american. I would buy it again. There is also a lasergrip available through crimsontrace which is a great carry option. This is why I may carry the PF-9 over the PPS I just recently purchased. With the low cost of PF-9's, they are certainly worth the shot to try and see if it's for you.

13. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I bought a used one a couple of years ago. I shot maybe ten rounds of WWB FMJ through it and the ejector (not to be confused with the extractor) broke in half. Kel Tec sent me a new one for free but I lost confidence in the gun and sold it after I replaced the faulty part. If you have a reliable one I think they are the perfect size for pocket or deep concealed carry. The PF9 is not a range gun and I imagine shooting it a lot could be uncomfortable. I would take the PF9 over any .380 Kel Tec due to ammo cost, availability, and power.

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

One of the least comfortable guns I've ever shot.

15. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

What is one with 50 rounds down the pipe worth?

16. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

I looked closely at the PF9 and the Taurus 709 slim before I made the decision to pay a little more to buy a PM9, and boy am I glad I did. The trigger is excellent, and the recoil is surprisingly soft and manageable. I highly recommend checking out the Kahrs.

17. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

If you like his youtube reviews, Nutnfancy did one on this pistol I believe. He has a review page on Youtube for guns, knives, outdoor equipment, tactical gear, etc. Just go to youtube and type in Nutnfancy and then search. He seems to do a decent job with his reviews and he points out his personal preferences which can be helpful at times. He has done many many reviews on items and he also metioned that pistol as being his everyday gun in a shot show video at the Kel Tec booth.

18. High Altitude

High Altitude

If it wasn't for the low price would anyone even bother buying one????

terrible trigger
    not a smooth shooting with fast follow up shots firearm
    questionable quality
    etc.........

19. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

This is exactly what I was gonna say. I really like mine. Yes, it's not a high volume shooter, but is is plenty accurate and shootable enough for defensive purposes and really shines at being concealable and comforatble to carry. As a reference here is mine next to my G19, both in High Noon IWB holsters.
    [​IMG]

20. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

I have one, and like it also.... Carry it daily. Honestly the gun serves it's purpose. It's not a range gun, you're not going to want to shoot it often. It probably doesn't have a high round count life. But mine does go bang when i pull the trigger, and should i ever have to use it, I'd trust it. Plus since it's so cheap, when they take it away after I do use it in a SD situation. I won't cry about it.