Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Scottish Member
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that an e-tool would be a handy thing to have.

I've never carried one backpacking because:

I've always had some sort of shelter. On the AT I've usually stayed in a shelter, and carried a tube tent with a line. Where there aren't shelters, I've carried a regular backpacking tent.​
I've always carried fuel and a stove for cooking. And only built a small fire with "pick-up" wood, or something that I could cut with a multi-tool.​
I've never really had to dig a hole while backpacking.​
So has anyone carried one backpacking? I'd think lightness would be the most important criteria.

For regular camping, I can see where an etool could be pretty handy for cutting bigger wood and managing a fire.

How about around the house/homestead/garden? Are they useful or is it better to just use the full sized tools, like a shovel, hoe, pick, saws?

So if you do have one, what do you use it for, and what kind to you have?

Glock (of course), Gerber, SOG, MIL, other?

·
Registered
14,138 Posts

I've always had some sort of shelter. On the AT I've usually stayed in a shelter, and carried a tube tent with a line. Where there aren't shelters, I've carried a regular backpacking tent.​
I've always carried fuel and a stove for cooking. And only built a small fire with "pick-up" wood, or something that I could cut with a multi-tool.​
So has anyone carried one backpacking? I'd think lightness would be the most important criteria.

For regular camping, I can see where an etool could be pretty handy for cutting bigger wood and managing a fire.

How about around the house/homestead/garden? Are they useful or is it better to just use the full sized tools, like a shovel, hoe, pick, saws?

I have an SOG mini e-tool that's a good backpacking tool; I also have a surplus AMES manufactured e-tool in the Jeep stowed away, but mostly I'm using a Bully Tools mini shovel ( it's about 2 feet long, fiberglass shaft, loop handle, powder coated blade, doesn't fold, just a small handy shovel) as the general purpose Jeep shovel; a good truck shovel, but not really good for backpacking...

·
Scottish Member
12,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: seedub70

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,055 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glock makes an okay-ish e-tool, I keep one in every car and truck we have. But for backpacking… What exactly are do you plan on digging? When backpacking, I usually have a little Fiskars trowel, that's plenty enough for my digging needs… And for camping that doesn't involve a hike with your gear, you'll be better off with full sized tools (saw, shovel and axe).

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
This is a folding entrenching tool. I have broken two of these when I was in the 82d Airborne Infantry. I was trying to dig through pine tree roots and they just were not up to that.

Look at the center E- tool. You can fold it as shown, open the shovel blade 90 degrees(very handy for digging foxholes) or open it 180 and use it as a small shovel.
Look at the bottom old style E-tool. It can do all of the things the center one can do but it has that little pick that can go to 90 or 180 for digging in hard ground.

·
rip "Bud"
10,399 Posts
No thanks.... I'd rather cut the handle off a trenching shovel.

Reactions: warbow150

·
Registered
841 Posts
E-tools are the Hi-Points of the shovel world. Don’t waste the money. Get real tools.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
This is a folding entrenching tool. I have broken two of these when I was in the 82d Airborne Infantry. I was trying to dig through pine tree roots and they just were not up to that.
View attachment 943353

Look at the center E- tool. You can fold it as shown, open the shovel blade 90 degrees(very handy for digging foxholes) or open it 180 and use it as a small shovel.
Look at the bottom old style E-tool. It can do all of the things the center one can do but it has that little pick that can go to 90 or 180 for digging in hard ground.

View attachment 943354
I had the one in the middle in '66-'67 RVN, then in '69-'70 I had a similar one that had a pick opposite of the shovel blade. Good for hard ground, pick till you have something to scoop or scrape, repeat.

A good fighting/sleeping hole would be 24" deep, but 6" often worked. better is better.

Desert Storm we had the D handled thingy, easier to carry, harder to use.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
I have several that Glock gave away at smaller events. Never used them but they seem like it would work well.

·
Registered
12,075 Posts
I had the one in the middle in '66-'67 RVN, then in '69-'70 I had a similar one that had a pick opposite of the shovel blade. Good for hard ground, pick till you have something to scoop or scrape, repeat.

A good fighting/sleeping hole would be 24" deep, but 6" often worked. better is better.

Desert Storm we had the D handled thingy, easier to carry, harder to use.
There is (or was) a foxhole demolition charge kit. The first part is a shaped charged to make a deep narrow hole. The second part is a small bit of explosive to drop in the hole and I think you fill in the hole with loose dirt. When you set off the second charge you get a small crater for a foxhole. This might be handy for places where an E-tool can't dig squat.

Reactions: nursetim

·
Anti-Federalist
21,423 Posts
This is the best one I've ever owned, it lives in the vehicle. I've only carried the folding type that I was issued. When backpacking I just dig cat holes with a trekking pole.

Cold Steel.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Does a bear s#@* in the woods? I do, then I dig a little (or big) hole depending on the morning constitutional for that day with my E-tool.
Had the same E-tool for years. Used it many times for a lot of different purposes. Great to have for any number of things.
If weight is a factor I think there are some really light weight ones made nowadays.

·
NRA Life Member
66,447 Posts
This is the best one I've ever owned, it lives in the vehicle. I've only carried the folding type that I was issued. When backpacking I just dig cat holes with a trekking pole.

Cold Steel.

View attachment 943364
I generally carry an Army issue folding E-tool in my truck, but I have been meaning to get one like this. Looks a lot sturdier and more useable, even if not easy to carry in a pack.

Reactions: syntaxerrorsix

·
Registered
9,814 Posts

I don’t think I’d want the weight of one w/ an e tool. I’ve carried a plastic or metal trowel for digging if needed, and I wire saw or “commando” saw for cutting if needed. For hiking though I keep my fires to “thick kindling” or things you can break w/ your hands. Small fire easier to manage, you prob know that though

·
Registered
3,362 Posts

Cold Steel.

View attachment 943364
Beat me to it. Hands down the Cold Steel wins - its basically a Russian Saperka that's easier to find in the US and ain't rusty like a lot of the old Soviet surplus I've seen. I keep one in each vehicle.

Grumpy
PS Just did a hunt online and I see a couple small vendors have the new Ratnik version (6E5) available in the west; could be interesting for a collectible but for something I'm going to beat up I'll still take the Cold Steel version.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
I use one for digging a slit trench while primitive camping. Too much weight for backpacking IMO. I use a bow saw for cutting fire wood.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts