Thoughts on e-books?(Survey for class)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonzoso, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

I have this class I'm taking and I need to get some peoples opinions on e-books.
    If anyone would like to answer some questions that would be awesome.

1. Do you read often?

2. Do you read for pleasure?

3. Do you attend college?

4. Age?

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so?

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books?

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books?

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits?

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book?

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books?

2. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

1. Do you read often? YES

2. Do you read for pleasure?YES

3. Do you attend college? NO

4. Age? 40

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? For years now

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? My eyes are getting old adjustable fonts and backgrounds.

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits? I can read longer without eyestrain.

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book? None

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? Have you looked at the news paper business lately?

3. Homechicken

Homechicken

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

1. Do you read often?Yes

2. Do you read for pleasure?Yes

3. Do you attend college?No

4. Age?26

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so?No, I read online but not using an e-book reader

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books?Less eyestrain, more portable, don't have to worry about damaging a 100-300 dollar reader, some books are better in the original text(example being circa turn of the century memoirs) others are unavailable online.

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books?See above

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits?n/a

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book?n/a

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? Depends primarily on pricing. If the E-Book edition is significantly cheaper(as it should be, lower production cost etc) then they will become more widespread.

To expand: I generally read around 50-200 novels per year. I find that actual paper causes less eyestrain for the amount of reading when compared to my LCD monitor.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  5. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

1. Do you read often? A few books a year.

2. Do you read for pleasure? Yes, and for business.

3. Do you attend college? No

4. Age? Mid 40's.

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? I have never used one.

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books? I don't necessarily prefer printed books - I just haven't caught up with e-book technology yet. I plan to.

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? The concept of the e-book intrigues me. Portability and the ability to search, highlight and parse are desirable features.

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits? N/A

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book? N/A

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? I strongly believe e-books are the future. I intend to purchase the next generation iPad mostly for the sake of reading books (web surfing and games are also a big part of my decision to pick one up).

6. BigDog[RE]

BigDog[RE] NRA Member

7. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

1. Do you read often?

Yes

2. Do you read for pleasure?

Yes

3. Do you attend college?
    No

4. Age?
    Greater than one half century

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so?

yes. Regularly.

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books?

NA

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books?

Like: Searchable, very portable.

Dislike: as an author, too easy to pirate, lost royalties.

Not able to read E-books on aircraft.

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book?

Need a power outlet nearby to do any long term reading when using E-books. None required for paper books.

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books?

Hopefully easier methods to customize textbooks with newer information, less cost, don't need a pack mule to haul books and supplies to class.

8. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

Why not?

9. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

It's very difficult for me to haul out my 17 inch laptop to read something in coach.

I know an e-reader would be easier to use, but it's a toy that I really don't need out here.

10. doneroman

doneroman SheepDogs-R-Us

E-books are the way for censoring groups to re-write famous texts which do not fit their belief systems. E-books' systems have a place in preserving texts, and that's about it. They are akin to Beta tapes for video.

11. Titegroups

Titegroups

I own and use a kindle, seems like a good way for the publishers to control circulation, used ebooks? No, you have to buy a new copy. Long term control. Just some thoughts.

12. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

Ah, I hadn't noticed your location...

13. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

1. Do you read often? yes

2. Do you read for pleasure? yes

3. Do you attend college? no

4. Age? 36

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? no

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books? Easier on the eyes. Looking at a screen for an extended time bothers my eyes and/or gives me a headache. I also enjoy browsing at the huge used bookstore in my neighborhood. Books don't require batteries.

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? Never used them, so I can't give a good answer. 7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits? N/A

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? I think enough people like books that they won't go away, but I can imagine a lot less printing going forward (as with newspapers).

14. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Hope this helps.

15. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

Kindle will also allow you to read DOC files, PDF's and other formats not just the DRM products you get from AMAZON and places like FictionWise.

16. spork

spork Caffeinator

Beyond what I already stated, I will add that I am currently using the Kindle.

17. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

1. Do you read often? All the time. Its my #1 pastime.

2. Do you read for pleasure? Yes. Since I was little.

3. Do you attend college? Unfortunately ,no.

4. Age? 42

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? Yes. I have a nook that I got about 4 months ago.

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books? Use the nook exclusively now.

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? I like the fact that I can take several books with me anywhere. I also like that I dont need to store copies of books. (I have about 15 large boxes of books because I dont get rid of them.

Yes, I may actually read more now that its more convenient.

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book? I find an e-book more comfortable. Simple to turn pages and such.

I think traditional books will be around for quite a while yet. But serious readers will migrate to e-books more and more as availability, standardization of formats and cost continue to evolve.

As all other media has undergone a dramatic change in the last couple of decades, so will the book. I see almost all media coming to the point that you will be able to produce your own media, advertise and sell it yourself on the internet without going thru a middleman such as a record label, studio or publisher.

18. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

1. Do you read often? Yes

2. Do you read for pleasure? Yes

3. Do you attend college? No, just graduated again 3 yrs ago

4. Age? 49

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? No

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books? Smaller, lighter, battery doesn't die, nothing like holding a real book in your hands. Ditto that for newspapers

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? Like = Nothing. Dilike = Would have to buy all my books over again, can't go to the store and leaf through the book to see if I would like it

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits? N/A

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book? N/A

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? I don't see books getting replaced anytime soon, tho more colleges appear to be going to e-books.

19. foxj66

foxj66

1. Do you read often? No

2. Do you read for pleasure? Rarely

3. Do you attend college? Yes

4. Age? 19

5. Have you ever or do you use an e-book? If yes for how long have you done so? Yes, About 2 years as most of my textbooks are e books with Myscribe

5.1. If you do not use an e-book why do you prefer traditional books? If I am reading for myself I like a real book rather than my computer in my lap

6. What do you like and dislike about e-books? Handy for online course work as they are always on your computer and can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection. I don't like not having a paper copy at times, But with my school books I have the option of purchasing the book also.

7. Has using e-books changed your reading habits? No

8. What differences do you feel when you read an e-book when compared to a traditional book/text book? I can quickly get to the page I need to find and I can skim a book faster on the computer screen then in real print.

9. What do you think the future holds for traditional books/ text books in competition with e-books? I think it can save schools and students a lot of money, I pay 40 dollars per e book rather than 200+. Also it would allow schools to change books quicker to keep them more up to date with out the cost of buying new printed books.

20. Kabarred

Kabarred

on an academic level, real books will be around for a very long time. For the recreation reader, they will dissappear