Thoughts about the 2005 Triumph Speed Triple?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Jun 16, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I am about to buy another bike - the BMW K1200R, but the Speed Triple, she calls out to me and makes my belly feels funny.

2. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Go with the 1200.

They gave the triple a much needed face lift, but left the worst part. Those fugly ass headlights.

The 1200R made my brother say (mind you he is a DIEHARD Suzuki fan) he would rather have one of those than a Busa (<-- His usual, if I could only have one bike choice).

I couldn't believe he even said that. But, it is a Beemer with hellafied HP and killer looks to boot.

3. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I know that the K12R is a mean bike, but that Speed Triple is like lust at first sight!!! Hell, I'm probably going to buy the K12R anyway, but Speed Triple = H A W T!!!;3

5. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

I think it's Sex on wheels...

6. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

They are equally hideous. If I HAD to choose from one of those, I would probably go with the BMW just because it's making more power.

7. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

fn:
    We tend to agree with the Compensator. We care little for the looks of either, although we fully recognize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Although there is a certain alure to a bike that weighs in at less than 450 pounds and is making well over 100bhp at the rear wheel, we are old enough to remember when British motorcycles were the absolute worst in reliability. The ones we remember back in the 60's and 70's would only run when the temps were between 70 and 85F; and then only if the humdity was below 50%. They absolutely stayed broke down. We can not shake our apprehension of them, although we understand that the current generation is much better in this realm.

For our part, we think you are wise to stick with one of "the legendary motorcycles of Germany" as your choice.

We trudge on.

8. gixxer

gixxer

generally speaking I am a suzuki fan, (three in the stable now). That being said, the Triumph is the first non-jap bike I've considered buying. I've ridden both the speed triple and the 995. There's nothing quite like the sound of a triple "on the pipe".

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

And she will be the Aprilia Tuono R.

http://www.speed-sports.com/motorcycles/aprilia_models/RSV_Tuono_photos/pages/Photo_005.html

The BMW K1200R naked beast was on the list but with some soul searching, I realized that I don't want another 500+ lbs bike no matter how fast and badass it is. I already have one and don't need another heavy. I want something that's light, nimble and fast for the track so I compiled the below list and went shopping. :)

I test rode a bunch of naked trackable bikes: Ducati Monster S4R, Triumph Speed Triple, MV Agusta Brutale S and the Aprilia Tuono R.

The Speed Triple was my lust but I didn't care much for its handling. Great engine, great chassis but the center of gravity is high and it doesn't seem to be as flickable as the others.

The Brutale is a fast mother and very flickable. Probably the most out of these four but the inline four just doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't have the "attitude", I guess. That's a hell of a way to eliminate a bike, but these things are toys and hence not much logic goes into their considerations.

The Monster is my favorite. It's a Ducati, no if and or but. Except that even with the naked version, it still hurts the small of my back riding it.

The Aprilia was an afterthought. But when I rode it, I liked it only second to the Monster. Awesome engine and this is the primary reason I am buying this bike. It's very flickable and holds a curve well in the canyon. It comes with the slipper clutch as standard. And it looks awesome in that reddish orange color. The 60-degree V-twin emits a rumble that takes no second from Ducati and it smooths out nicely for highway cruising not to mention that the more upright seating position that doesn't hurt my back.

The engine is by Rotax, the same people that sold the single 650 engine that goes into the BMW F650GS and CS. Hey, if it's good enough for BMW...

I got two dealers lined up to sell me one at pretty decent price, so out of those two I ought to be able to buy one comes Tuesday 20 June or Wednesday 21 June.

BTW, BMW still rules!!! Hopping back on my Rockster and I realize what a great bike it is comparing to these crotch rockets. She's like a good wife while these Italian crotch rockets are like oversexed mistresses. A man needs both.;f