close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those who have wells.....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jack_Pine, Mar 19, 2013.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

We haven't been on a well since '96. That was the year one of my idiot neighbors decided to bury a horse in his yard against county regulations and took out the entire aquafier supplying the subdivision. HH

2. PBCounty

PBCounty

I've heard lore about that - how long does that supposedly last? I've heard for years but it rang BS to me.

3. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

As others have already stated, water levels and well depths will vary in different parts of the country.
    Our well is less than 60' deep and we've never experienced any problems since we've lived in this house.

Water that is supplied via a well constantly circulates through the ground and even though we have filters for sediments, taste and odor, my wife has noticed a slight mineral odor (once or twice in 13 years) that usually only lasts a few days.

I'd like to have access to a municipal water supply, but I'd never give up my own well.

4. slick64

slick64

I just had the pump replaced on my system a few weeks ago. Its down 384 ft. Never shocked it in 4+ yrs here.

5. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

Water wells are usually contaminated by things from the surface. This can be from the initial drilling of the well, or from surface water working its way down along side of a loose casing. In some states now, ALL casings have to be grouted in to prevent surface contamination because of a poorly sealed casing. The contamination can be Soil Coliform Bacteria, Iron and Hydrogen Bacteria, or Fecal Coliforms (from barnyard runoff) and agricultural chemicals (from field runoff).

Soil and Fecal Coliforms can make you ill. If you are very young, or old or have a weak immune system, Fecal Coliforms can be deadly. Iron and Hydrogen Bacteria consume minerals dissolved in the water and release (fart) Hydrogen Sulfide gas (rotten egg smell) into the well water.

Have your well water tested for both chemical and bacterial contamination. Knowing exactly what you have to deal with is essential. Shocking a well with bleach will (if done right) sterilize the water, and the soil surrounding the water chamber from which you draw the water. The treatment will also sterilize the house piping and the water heater which most likely will also be contaminated.

Have your water tested annually at first, and re-treat as needed. Once you "know" your well, testing intervals can be spaced out as neccessary. Sometimes, if the contamination was from the drilling of the well, and does not reoccur, you may not have to ever shock the well again.

6. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

If I had dead things in my well I'd get some kind of filter systems and a UV treatment.

7. railfancwb

railfancwb

My county has an arrangement with a recycling company to haul dead livestock off if the farmer will drag it to the roadside and call to have it picked up. Failing that, buzzards will make short work of a dead steer etc just as they do a road kill deer.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I am on a well (about 700 feet deep). After it was drilled, the Health Department provided instructions on how to shock it before collecting a water sample to test. Never been shocked since then. We do have a UV purifier, but that's just because I wanted it.

9. badge315

badge315

I have an artesian well with a continuous flow of 20psi, so I don't think I could shock it even if I wanted to. But it sure is nice having water pressure even when the power goes out.

10. F_G

F_G

This is actually backwards. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. Shocking a well is pretty much useless, it will only disinfect at that point and time (unless you're pouring chlorine down the well daily). And how do you control dosing? Most system contamination usually comes from the distribution system in a ground water system or a poorly designed wellhead protection. Your wellhead should be above grade, good cement seal tight around the casing. If you suspect bacterial contamination you should install a post chlorination system. Bacti tests are only $25, but they need to be drawn correctly to rule out any contamination at the point the sample is being taken.

And if you are finding snakes and such around the pump intake, you really need to take a long hard look at your wellhead protection plan. Pouring chlorine down the well is only putting a bandaid on a much larger problem.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  11. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Don't know, as we all tapped into municiple. The line at the street was always there and insurance paid for the tap-in. HH

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Here, you have to arrange and pay for haulage to the county landfill and pay a disposal fee. You can also get a free permit from DEQ to bury on your own land if you meet their guidelines. HH

13. skorper

skorper harborrat

Well that is exactly what my county health dept. inspector told me. Shallow wells are often under the influence of surface water and have a much higher propensity for bacterial contamination. That was the gist of my post.

I have never shocked my well but was told I should. I was also told that better yet, install a post chlorination system. I have had the water tested, and it showed no bacterial contamination problems. Just the luck of the draw I supposed. The thing they did find though, is salt. I lived on a state route that was heavily salted in the winter and over the years that contaminated my well. We had a bottled water cooler/heater for drinking but used the well water for everything else. I can absolutely see how pouring a bunch of bleach down the well would cause problems on it's own and not really solve the overall problem.

In the area I was in, 75 feet or more seemed to be the cutoff point where surface water would not be a problem. Wells hundreds of feet deep would in theory be OK.

14. F_G

F_G

You're right, I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Yes, usually, but not always deeper is better. Post chlorination is the way to go if you suspect any type of contamination. UV is good at the point of disinfection, but leaves no residual in the event of contamination further down the line. I have dealt with hundreds of wells and have never shocked one yet, but the systems I have worked on we installed some sort of post disinfection.

15. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

We had a massive flood several years ago at the cabin. Tested the well after. Water was just fine.

16. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I have the well filtered comming into the house, and filtered throught the fridge yet again. However, they do recommend putting an ammount of bleach through time to time and letting all the faucets and hoses run for a time until all the bleach is out.

The septic tank is far enough from the well I am not worried. The only fecal contamination would come from the squirels. But, they get an occassional dose of lead poisoning when they get into the fruit trees or into the dog food. Which is ironic, because the dog turns them into dog food soon thereafter.

No, I don't eat squirrel, but I know plenty of people who do. To me, they are just a fuzzy rat with a bigger tail.

17. XshooterX

XshooterX