close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Those "CHEAP PLASTIC SIGHTS".

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by OVERTHEHILLGUY, Nov 9, 2009.

1. OVERTHEHILLGUY

OVERTHEHILLGUY

How many times have we read "the first thing i do is remove those god-awful cheap plastic sights"

But......are they that bad? How many of you have broke the plastic sights thru no fault but your own, IE dropping the pistol and etc.? My opinion is that they are just fine the way they are for the average shooter. For recreational shooter, the plinker, and the weekend shooter these sights are good to go right from the box.

For a home defense pistol, night sights with a tac light would be the way to go.

I can see no purpose to spending $100.00+ on sights I don't really need. I would rather use that money to buy much needed ammo.

:eat:HAPPY THANKSGIVING FELLOW GLOCKERS AND GLOCKETES. :fred: OVERTHEHILLGUY:fred:

2. soundwave

soundwave

All of my Glocks have aftermarket sights. My competition guns (G34 and G35 for USPSA) have Heinie rears and Dawson Precision FO fronts. My HD/SD guns all wear Ameriglo Pro Operartor night sights.

The plastic sights may fit the bill for some uses, just not any of mine.

3. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

I actually kind of like my plastic sights, but they are going to be replaced with Trijicons as soon as I buy a sight pusher.

4. multo17

multo17

I don't really mind the plastic sights on my 2 glocks!:cool:

5. fran m

fran m

Never had a problem with them breaking. The front sight did wear out on my first G17 Duty gun I guess from holstering. It just got smaller and smaller.

6. OD GASTON

OD GASTON 05' RUBICON

Never had a problem with the plastic sights! Very accurate too.

7. deputy tom

deputy tom

Back when Glocks first became available here in the US,a friend of mine bought one and broke the front sight off within a very short period of time.That told me the plastic sights were the weakest part on the Glock pistol.When I started buying Glocks I had the sights replaced right away and continue to do so.YMMV.tom.:cool:

8. arlessinfl

arlessinfl

Front sight on my g21 broke off after about 10 holstering/unholsterings.

9. glocks rock

glocks rock

I've heard Glock perfection stops at the top of the slide. I agree. I always replace mine with XS or Heinie. Just my opinion.

10. krunchnik

krunchnik THE CROW

trijicon and meprolite on both of mine,it was the first thing I did besides shooting them.I am not a plastic sight fan.

11. Vesticles

Vesticles

Wasn't the first thing I did with mine, but did put Trijicons on mine about 3 months after getting it. Can't really say the stock ones were bad, I just didn't like the sight picture compared to the Trijicons... that and night sites are cooler.:smoking:

12. JBnTX

JBnTX

The stock plastic sights work just fine for me.
    I'll only change them if they break.

13. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

My last G34 the front sight was replaced w/fiber optic for quick pick up. Left OEM rear. So far so good.:)

14. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

You'll get exactly what you pay for with the oem Glock plastic sights.

15. Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

I thought the whole "front factory sights fall off" was BS until mine fell off my 21 the other day. :crying: Probably just going to replace with a factory steel screw on.

16. Jon_R

Jon_R

I snapped the front sight off my G23. I was taking a class and we where required to draw the weapon weak hand only simulating you lost use of your strong arm and still need to fight. To do it you partially pull it out rotate it 180 degrees re-adjust your hand and draw it cross draw. I was using a hard kydex holster and it got snapped off in one of the turns and after the drill I had to go back to my backup.

I replaced all my glocks with Warren Tactical sights. On my G35 I went with a FO front sight. I like them.

17. DasBulk

DasBulk

My 19 came with them. I honestly liked them, but my front sight would turn sometimes. Like the sight was loose or the bottom of it that keys into the oval slot was worn. I straightened it a few times before broke down and ordered some Heinies S8 Tritiums. Couldn't be happier.
    Though I have to say, invest in a sight pusher. The extra bill dropped on a good pusher is worth it.

18. southern_boy

southern_boy Tiny

i like my factory sights, i have carryed my 26 the way it has came for 2 years with no issues

i have been thinking of night sights but i aint real sure of witch ones i want. and now the top mount lazer sight has came out im thinkin about geting it and putin it on and haveing the back strap shaved/stippled off and leting mom have that one and geting me another G26 or a G19. and have also thought about the 10mm or 40 cal glocks just to have something i can justify switching the barrels on to shoot lead. damn i hate being poor and wanting alot of guns.

19. dances with guns

dances with guns ahahahaha

my rear plastic sight popped out twice

the plastic front sight will also wear down with repeated holster presentations.

i now have trijicons.

i don't think you'll find a police dept in this country that keeps the original plastic glock sights on.

not sure why the maker of some of the most durable pistols in the world chooses to stick some cheap *** plastic sights on them....

20. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Most of us don't replace them because of liability concerns. We replace them because the sight picture sucks.