Thompson-LeGarde Tests - Still viable today?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by nastytrigger, Feb 3, 2010.

1. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I finally read the Thompson-LeGarde test results to see why we stuck with a .45. So, does anyone know any more information on this test, or any others like it? Especially more recently. I'm sure PETA wouldn't let the military kill animals nowadays... I could write a lot from what I read. I never realized that their wasn't a .45ACP in the test, I guess I never realized the year, 1903, of the test. Basically, from what I get, we had the .38LC that wasn't doing the job. They tested .38ACP, .30 Luger, 9mm, .45 Colt, .38LC, .455 Webley, and .476 Eley on stags, horses, cadavers, and cows.

The guns:
    Luger (.30 Luger and 9mm) [tests kept showing malfuctions on Luger after first shot that needed to be cleared to continue...]
    1903 Colt Revolver (.38LC)
    1902 Colt Automatic (.38ACP)
    Colt New Service Revolver (.45 Colt, .455 Webley, and .476 Eley)

Interesting read!

Here's the test (without pics though) http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/TLGR/tlgr.html

2. 481

Sure are, as they relate to non-expanding (FMJ) ammunition.

Livestock and FMJs are still made the same way they were in the early 1900s and the interaction between the two is likely to be the same as well.

3. fredj338

fredj338

All the rounds were FMJ or RNL. The theory for the period was sound considering no JHP were tested. What does it mean, not much in terms of todays modern bullets other than larger holes are better stoppers. How the holes are made doesn't really matter. I doubt anyone would argue the 30luger was a great stopper. Even 9mm in FMJ has great doubts.

4. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

The .45 (long) Colt did not work well either at stopping Moros in the Phillipines as it merely zipped right through unless striking bone as it was a RN bullet. The soldiers relied more on the 30-40 Krag with the noses of the FMJ bullets chopped off or better yet a 12 ga. `97 pump Win. The British fared no better in SE Asia with the .455 and its RN 265 gr. bullet.