GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local range Wed night for a handgun training class. There were 11 attendees there shooting mostly 9mm - a couple were there with .45s. I have my trusty G23 with me, along with 2 mags - have not used more than 2 mags in these classes up to this point. Instructor asks if we all brought 3 mags to class...oops. I mention that I only brought 2. He asks what I'm shooting. I reply a G23 and suggest maybe I could borrow a mag from the guys at the rental desk. And he says... "Nope... they don't have any .40 Glocks in rental... no one shoots .40 anymore". What!? Really? When did that happen?

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Dave I don't know where in Texas you are but I bet if you check around 40 is just as short on the shelves as 9 or 45.
I just got back from a road trip to Florida. I went to a major gun show in West Palm Beech, and 40's were selling as fast as the other two. I asked one of the Ammo sellers, and she told me they were selling all three about even. I left two gen3
G-22s with a friend to sell for me, I had bought them from him. I had paid 375 each for them, several years ago he got 650 each for them before I left the show.
40 is not dead.

·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave I don't know where in Texas you are but I bet if you check around 40 is just as short on the shelves as 9 or 45.
I just got back from a road trip to Florida. I went to a major gun show in West Palm Beech, and 40's were selling as fast as the other two. I asked one of the Ammo sellers, and she told me they were selling all three about even. I left two gen3
G-22s with a friend to sell for me, I had bought them from him. I had paid 375 each for them, several years ago he got 650 each for them before I left the show.
40 is not dead.
It’s been hard to get here too. The LSG/range I frequent finally got resupplied so I’ve been able to replace what I’ve been shooting. And they sell it for $22 a box which much better than the $30 a box I was paying at another source. This is for FMJ... JHP is still outrageous. I bought my G23 back in the spring after the covid thing started, so I paid $600 for it. Too much I know, but it was that or go without.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was at the local range Wed night for a handgun training class. There were 11 attendees there shooting mostly 9mm - a couple were there with .45s. I have my trusty G23 with me, along with 2 mags - have not used more than 2 mags in these classes up to this point. Instructor asks if we all brought 3 mags to class...oops. I mention that I only brought 2. He asks what I'm shooting. I reply a G23 and suggest maybe I could borrow a mag from the guys at the rental desk. And he says... "Nope... they don't have any .40 Glocks in rental... no one shoots .40 anymore". What!? Really? When did that happen?
Didn’t happen; our local PD, one of the largest in the country carries Glock 40s. No one is under-gunned carrying a .40. But the FBI moving to 9s and the CCW popularity of thin, single stacks in 9mm are causing a lot of 9s to be sold. 2 yrs ago,however, i put my 27 on consignment and i still own it. Bet it would sell today..

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Don't discount the .40 so quickly. :)

So what if the .40 ... which has served LE and private owners well since '90 ... has become the number 2 LE caliber in recent years? That's still a respectable position.

There's still a lot of .40's seeing LE use, and if Glock didn't think the sales were there to be made, they wouldn't be trying to get their Gen5's chambered in .40 out on the market in LE hands (and looking to replace Gen4 .40's with new Gen5 .40's).

Sure, the 9mm has become the choice of many LE agencies (and their trainers) when it comes to fielding, equipping and training new shooters. Unsurprising. It offers less recoil to shooters and helps make ease some maintenance/repair concerns.

Doesn't mean the .40 is on life support, though.

These things come in waves, with an ebb & flow to "popularity". The 9mm spent the last 25+ years being in Second Place behind .40 S&W in LE/Gov circles, and now it's exchanging places with the .40 S&W. Give it another 5, 10 or 15 years and see what's in everyone's holsters. These things can keep coming back around.

Now, the .45ACP has managed to surprisingly maintain a respectable 3rd place position as a duty caliber among LE users.

It's the .357SIG that's experiencing an increasing loss of use among LE/Gov users. It's 4th place position is falling back and getting a bit further back there in the distance.

OP, your problem wasn't the caliber of the ammunition used in your mags, so much as you forgetting to bring another one. ;) Easy to address next time.

Reactions: redneck ron

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
.40 is dead.
9mm was "dead" for 25+ years, too. (Meaning it was only the number 2 caliber.)

Ditto .45ACP. Yet it keeps coming back around to hang on, especially among many of the "local" level agencies.

Now look at them.

The only calibers I'm confident won't come back around and become mainstay service calibers again are ... revolver calibers. :) (Mostly confident, at any rate. :) )

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the 10 mm is making a comeback, 40 is a solid round imo.
I actually favor the 40 over the 45 for capacity abilities.
The 38 umm 9mm is a great round with its own advantages as the others have their advantages also.
Happy Thanksgiving, leftover turkey today ,lol
:flag:

·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, your problem wasn't the caliber of the ammunition used in your mags, so much as you forgetting to bring another one. ;) Easy to address next time.
Yep... I was unprepared. I will have all three mags with me at the next class. :)

Reactions: PIC123

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Yep... I was unprepared. I will have all three mags with me at the next class. :)
Don't think you've discovered something new. ;)

BTDT. Sometimes overlooking the obvious isn't obvious.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
FWIW, there's no harm in taking a couple extras, meaning more than what's required.

Murphy can occasionally stop by to screw around with something if he thinks you're happy and confident in having "enough" when it comes to your preparations. :)

Extra ammo, mags, glasses, pen/pencils, foot gear and clothing isn't necessarily a bad idea, when ti gets right down to when the rubber meets the road.

Reactions: Mtnfolk75

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
Wow I didn’t know, what a dummy I must be. To think I have been carrying a dead Glock (G-23 Gen 3), all day long.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 40 is neither here nor there. It's literally a neutered 10mm, that sits between 9mm and 45. It has a snappy recoil too.

I had one 40 cal left for doomsday ammo shortages, but yet during the pandemic, it's been sold out... Yet I've been able to find 10mm. Go figure.

People are buying whatever crap guns they can, and there are plenty of 40's out there that the uneducated can buy, and they need ammo for them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Displaced Hillbilly
1,668 Posts
I love them all!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the .40 S&W is everything it was meant to be. It is better than the 9 or the .45.
Better how? It holds fewer rounds than than 9mm, and has more of a snappy recoil than both 9mm and 45, making accurate follow up shots more difficult. It's also more expensive than 9mm

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
... no one shoots .40 anymore". What!? Really? When did that happen?
The large agency I retired from now approves 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

Now I work as an Armed Security Guard and 90+% carry a 9mm mostly Glock but old timers tend to have Berettas. I would guess the 38 Special is more popular than the 40 S&W from what I observed. :fred:

Reactions: fastbolt

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Wow I didn’t know, what a dummy I must be. To think I have been carrying a dead Glock (G-23 Gen 3), all day long.
Well do you have a choice? My brother's department made the Glock 40 S&W their choice and they have no other option. The large agency I retired from now approves 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP in not only Glock but S&W, Beretta, Sig and Kimber too.

Back in 1980 carrying a Colt Python was a status symbol. Today its a Kimber 45 ACP. :cop:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts