close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This Video is Insane.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Armchair Commando, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

2. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I couldn't tell if his butt was coming off the bench. But I guess it doesnt really matter seeing how he is benching 405 for 20 and I can't even squat 405 for 1.

I heard he just did 715 raw, which would tie Mendy for the raw WR.

Buck wild crazy strong!

3. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

That's actually proper Bench form. From what i can tell his butt didn't come off the Bench, Although he does hold the World Record Bench in a Shirt. Slower Reps don't matter cause he isn't bouncing the Weight off his Chest which shows his True Power even more.

4. Armchair Commando

I'm Expecting Scot to try and up his Current Record seeing as Ryan is right with him.

5. DBradD

DBradD

HERE's the bottom line (placed at the top, LOL): If I ever get to 1/2 as strong as him, I'll consider myself to be pretty cool.

Stopping 2.5-3" short of lockout is proper bench form? I'd also bet money on his butt leaving the bench on some of those.

The thing that gets me is when people start quoting scores. To say 20 reps, to me, means 20 REAL bench press reps, perhaps sans the PLing meet pause at hte bottom. Full lockout and no doubt about sky humping or bouncing.

Work = Force * Distance. Stopping 2.5"-3" short of lockout allows him to crank out quite a few more reps than with full lockout. I see this with my own scores. I made sure I was totally locking out tabata squats and my PR went from 22 to 19 or 20 (forgot). I enforced a modest height l standard for burpees and my PR went from 8:00 to over 11:00 and now I've worked it down to 9:00 after a bunch of work.

I'm very impressed, but I'd be MUCH MORE impressed if he did 14-15 really good reps. Then again, maybe I'm the weird one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. Armchair Commando

Shoulder Blades and Butt are the only things need to be touching when benching, Hence his Form is Perfect. This man Holds the Record Bench Shirted and is Tied with Mendolson for the Raw Record as well. I kinda think he knows how his Bench Form should be. You don't become a World Record Holder by not knowing what your doing. :cool: To be honest Dbrad the only time you should Completely Lockout is when Re Racking the Weight, When you Lockout 1 of 2 things happen, You take about 95% of the Tension of the Muscles and and Second you put a lot of Unneeded Stress on your Joint in the Elbow. I never completely lockout in a Set, I'm doing the set because i want to increase my strength and keep constant Tension on the Target Muscles and not my Joints. Same exact thing when doing Squats, When i come to up on a Squat i never fully lock my Legs out, That's a Perfect way to Screw up your knees. I keep my knees slightly bent at all times and let my Muscles control the Weight instead of my joints.

7. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I'm gonna start another pissing match, but here goes. I think the same people that say squatting below parallel is bad for your knees are the same ones that claim locking out a lift is bad for your joints. I don't think that is founded in anything real.

I know Rip has commented about this but can't remember what he said.

As a side question, if you don't lock out your rep, how do you know it was a rep and not a partial? Not saying anything bad about partials necessarily.

8. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

9. Armchair Commando

I'd have to Disagree with you here, While locking out your Knees with a Lot of weight on them is Bad and can cause injury to the joints. I'm a Firm believer is Full Squats and have witnessed people first hand getting fked up doing Squats. I even saw one guy Tear his Quad from the Bone and it looked like a big ball under his Skin. Dr Frederick Hatfield, The First man to Squat 800Lbs is a Firm Believer in Ass to the Grass Squats and Actually believes that Squats are Healthy for the Knees( If done Properly) and i Agree with him on that point. It's the Locking out of the Joints that the Real Trouble Begins. Oh yea i did a 515 Full Squat Last night. :tongueout:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  10. Armchair Commando

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/squat.html

Exercise Instructions:
    The squat is the king of all exercises, working over 256 muscles in one movement! Setup for the exercise by setting the barbell to just below shoulder height and loading the weight you want to use. Stand under the bar with your feet at about shoulder width apart. Position the bar so that it is resting on the muscles on the top of your back, not on the back of your neck. The bar should feel comfortable. If it doesn't, try adding some padding to the bar. Now take your hands over the back and grip the bar with a wide grip for stability. You should now bend at the knees and straighten your back in preparation to take the weight off the rack. Keeping your back straight and eyes up push up through the legs and take the weight off the rack. Take a small step back and stabilize yourself. Keeping your eyes facing forwards slowly lower your body down. Don't lean forward as you come down, your buttocks should come out and drop straight down. Squat down until your thighs are parallel with the floor, then slowly raise your body back up pushing through your heels. ((((((((((((((Do not lock the knees out when you stand up, then repeat the movement.))))))))))))

11. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Uh oh..........:rofl:

12. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Great to hear, as I am sick of seeing new geared records.

I find it odd that the raw and geared records are about 300lbs apart. Hard to believe these guys are getting 300lbs out of a shirt.

I understand that geared comps are on the same playing field, but give me a break.

13. Armchair Commando

Ryan did a 1075 Shirted Bench in the 308 Weight Class at the Pride Powerlifting meet 11-08-2008. That's Exactly 360Lbs above the Raw Record.

14. Armchair Commando

I just copy and pasted it Brah. :shocked:

15. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

16. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

I have no dog in this race but I lock out... bench, squat, all of it.

No offense to anyone but what is the purpose of geared competition if it provides that much assistance (a delta of 300+ pounds over raw bench)? What would have been the genesis of this? Was it just someone wanted to prevent injuries with knee wraps, and over time, it just evolved into suits and shirts?

17. DBradD

DBradD

Hey, I never said he wasn't about the strongest BPer who's ever lived. He obviously is. Sure he *knows* the BP, but that wouldn't stop him from shortening reps and relaxing form to allow the video of "20 BP reps with 405."

[edit--deleted the rest of it. No need to continue the pissing contest I started. I'm probably the weird one in that I take offense to some videos like these. If you enjoyed the video, good for you.]

18. DBradD

DBradD

[deleted]