close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

This really has me stumped!!!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by buckshotshorty, Feb 16, 2010.

1. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

I've been reloading about 40 years, and this one has me stumped.

Problem: 9mm Ruger SR9c runs 100% on all factory ammo tested (about 230 rounds). Reloaded a batch (200 rds.) of ammo using Wolf small pistol primers; experienced 10% failure to fire because of light hits. Switched to CCI small pistol primers, got 3 failures(light hits) from a batch of 50..
    Collected all the rounds that failed to ignite, and they shot fine out of my Sig.

I have fired these same reloads with Wolf primers out of my Sig, Glock and Kahr, with no problems.

Seems the SR9c will only run on factory ammo. I have always been careful when reloading. I use a Lee factory crimp die, and only take out the bell on the case. Case mouth measures .378". I don't know what to do about this. Can't send it back to Ruger, they will only test it with factory ammo, and it'll run fine. Any ideas ???

perplexed

2. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

I always felt that the Wolf primers were slightly harder...
    Cleaned the firing pin channel lately?

3. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

The gun is brand new.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Any primer that does not fire on the first hit but fires on the second hit has to be a suspected high primer. Doesn't mean it was high, but thats your most likely culprit. So make sure you are seating them fully, check them before firing. Then you can eliminate that as a issue.

5. dudel

dudel

Clean the oil/grease out of the firing pin channel?

6. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

Are you hand priming or bench priming. Wolf and Winchester seem to seat deeper in my 9mm federal brass that does CCI and Federal. Try hand priming 50 and start over from scratch. I have problems with deep priming on my bench, and switched back to hand priming with the old finger touch to check for priming depth.
    Let me know how it goes.

7. Sigma40sw

Sigma40sw

What reloading press are you using? (Primer seating tool?)

Whose brass are you using? does it only happen with one brand?

Ruger is striker fired,what is OAL of striker? OAL of striker spring?

8. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

dudel responded:

"Clean the oil/grease out of the firing pin channel?"

No, I really don't know how to take the striker out.

Sigma40s&w responded:

"What reloading press are you using? (Primer seating tool?)

Whose brass are you using? does it only happen with one brand?

Ruger is striker fired,what is OAL of striker? OAL of striker spring?
    "

I'm using a Lee turret press, and the built in primer.
    Mixed brass-mostly WW
    No idea the size of the striker or spring.
    Today 21:49

9. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

You did not say whether you tried to shoot the FTFs a second time in the Ruger before giving up on them and finishing them off in the Sig. If you had, it would confirm whether they were seated too high (first attempt seats the primer, second attempt fires).

Would also agree as others have stated that the firing mechanism be examined for factory grease.

10. bush pilot

bush pilot

Had a primer problem with my 2 week old SR9C. I've fired 500 rounds of reloads through mine and had one FTF. Put the round through the gun 3 times and no go (didn't have another 9 with me) I'm not going to lose any sleep since it was only one round in 500, if it continues I'll start to worry. If anybody cares, Winchester and Dillon.

11. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

Excellent question! I did try secondary and even a third strike using the Ruger on two rounds with no ignition. Follow up with Sig was positive.

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

More then likely it is a high primer or the primer is too hard for that striker to fire. CCI is probabley the hardest IMHO. Wolf I do not know. What factory ammo are you trying? I would try some Speer Lawman or Golddot and see if it happens, then I would send it back and say "it doesn't go bang with Speer Lawman/Golddot". I have a S&W 586 that Clark Customs did for me, the action job is crisp and clean as hell. It will only fire Federal & Remington primers reliably. It is a match gun so I don't care, but it is useless for HD.

13. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

The gun has been flawless using: Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, WW white box, Remington, Federals and Georgia Arms.

14. ignantmike

ignantmike

see if you can find out how many #'s the firing pin spring is in both the sig and the ruger......maybe put a stronger spring on the firing pin???.....

15. n2extrm

n2extrm

I would say the only 2 things that come to mind are primer not seated enough. They need to have the anvil preloaded enough. The striker or spring is not providing enough force to fire the primer. This could be a bad striker, dirty channel faulty spring to name a few. I guess maybe the chamber could be cut a little deep and the head space too loose giving you a light strike?

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If you were shooting a flintlock and had a misfire you could just ignite it with your cigarette.

Primers are for wussies. :poke:

Jack

17. coal

coal

IMO, high primers. Hammer-fired gun have more primer impact force/inertia and cab more reliably both seat and ignite a high primer, and primers that are harder. I've had a this issue with Glock. A striker-fired system cannot as reliably both seat and ignite a high primer, or primers that are harder. A hammer-fired system is inherently more "forgiving", while both work with proper ammo/reloads. If it's just this gun, then it's just this gun and I'd have it looked at (assuming I could not look at it myself).

18. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

Sounds like high primers to me. Try decapping the cases and cleaning the primer pockets, then hand seating them. Check each one and use one brand of brass per test. Good Luck

19. buckshotshorty

buckshotshorty

Update:

Got in touch with Ruger today and they said they would send me a new striker assembly. They told me that ignition will be more reliable, but the heavier springs will make trigger a little heavier.

They also told me they would instruct me how to install it.

20. n2extrm

n2extrm

Great! Let us know how it works out. Dying to know if it helped. Ryeger sounds like they are doing the right thing, allways good to see!