This raised my hackles a bit

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARP, Sep 19, 2015.

1. ARP

ARP

I was on my way home yesterday from an event in South Bend IN, my group were hungry and decided to stop for a quick bite in Elkhart IN. they chose a spot right off the TP that had a Subway, Steak and Shake, and a few other possibilities nearby. At first I was not hungry because I ate a late lunch and it was now after 6PM. Then I thought, 6+ hours before I might have a chance to eat again, and only cheese crackers and water in my feed sack. I thought about it for a second and decided a quick single pattie burger and a shake to hold me over till later and not make me tired from too much food. Steak and Shake it shall be.

I saw part of my group go there and turn around and leave, word was 40 min wait. Which was strange because no one was really in the dining area. So I thought I'll order to go and eat on the bus. I went in and ordered, there were a few people ahead of me and more came in behind. Some stayed some left. I stayed because I thought my small order would come quick. Something from an employee/management situation was broken. I'll try to explain. The order was taken, the guy making burgers made burgers and moved them on down the line to where the next person was supposed to put the fixin's on the burger to complete. But for some reason that person was MIA, and the Manager was trying to do work for what appeared several people. I could see something was breaking down in the chain of action. The first order was wrong and the Manager stopped dressing burgers to fix the order, but no one stepped into his spot to continue to process orders so the burgers were sitting unfinished for several minutes. My order was missed altogether from the burger standpoint, my shake came but no burger. Orders kept coming thru but the food was not being completed. A second order was wrong and the customer ( a 20 something in pj bottoms) pitched a beotch and now the Manager is fixing his order and the burgers are still sitting. A third order was incorrect, and now he is working on that too and the burgers are still sitting. This is where things got my hackles up, meaning fight or flight sensation. One of the incomplete orders was for some fat guy with attitude. He began screaming at the Manager who was trying his best to make this work, "HOW GOOD DO YOU THINK MY BURGERS WILL TASTE AFTER SITTING THERE FOR 5 MINUTES, THEY ARE JUST EFFIN DONE AND SITTING THERE. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO FINISH THEM? At this point I got real nervous about what may happen next, as this was a mixed race situation and from my POV this could become a crime scene real quick. Everyone in the restaurant got real quiet and nervous, with small kids with them, wives etc. and this knuckle head ratcheting up the pressure yelling at the guy. It was really hard to tell how long this was going to go on or how far.

Part of me wanted to speak up and get the fat guy off the Managers backside, part of me said, "not my circus, not my monkees". I think if the fat guy would have crossed the line and turned it into a race thing by slurring the Manager, I would have had to step forward and do what, something? The Manager was trying hard to work his way out of the situation, refunding the money for the orders that were wrong. This took time.....and the burgers sat, and the hole kept getting deeper. What is that saying, don't judge until you have walked a mile in the other guy's shoes? But this whole situation was fairly heated for the fat guy.

I post this today, because it bothers me that there is so much anger in this country over stuff like this. Fat guy could have gotten himself in way over his head over burgers.

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    So did you get your single?

Jason D likes this.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

America is becoming a powder keg. I blame the economy for some of it. I blame fear and hate mongering by the mass media and politicians on both sides. And I blame the education industry because they refuse to teach people to think and reason well enough to function in the real world.

One of these days there is going to be another Ferguson or some something like it that is going to just blow TFU up because of all this pent up hate, fear and rage.

4. ARP

ARP

sigh......yes I did, it sat for several minutes, was cold and they ran out of ketchup and mustard. But the Manager refunded my order. I ate it and did not get indigestion from it.

5. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I've ridden a Suzuki to biker bars and never had that much drama.

SRS and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  6. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

sound like they were understaffed and under trained on how to handle it!

7. Detectorist

Detectorist

They could pay their employees better. Get a better employee.

8. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Going to a fast food place has become a horrible experience in any urban area. Heaven help you if you want anything custom with your order.

It is an entry level job and half the people working there are not qualified to do it. As angry as it makes me, I try to find a little zen with the thought "at least they are working."

As far as "stepping in." Why? Even if he is "slurring." That is part of the problem in this country. People think there is a level were words (not real threats mind you) should turn into violence. No matter where the level is, everyone thinks they are justified, in almost every case they are wrong.

janice6 and nursetim like this.
  9. Adjuster

Adjuster

And you have to throw in, there is a special term for it. Mad hungry, or hungry angry or something like that. Its a real thing. Someone didn't show up for their shift.

/

10. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

I have noticed that since I started carrying a firearm,my hackles are not so easily raised.

janice6 and Rabbi like this.
  11. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I have thought that many times (not necessarily at fast food places).

(And then wondered, if maybe, the real employees were tied up in the back, somewhere.)

TX OMFS likes this.
  12. ARP

ARP

By no means am I doubting you (step in or not), I also look at it from the standpoint, I step in and raise my voice, now you got 2 people who are raising the temp a bit. From my standpoint "stepping in" might have been trying to difuse the situation by suggesting fat man go to another food joint instead of standing there berating the Manager. That (berating)obviously was solving nothing and making everyone in the restaurant uncomfortable to the point of wanting to leave before it complete became unhinged. My involvement would have been nothing more than a strong verbal suggestion.

13. ARP

ARP

As far as someone missing their shift, I don't think there was, which is why I'm miffed at to what was broken in the chain. A guy making burgers, 2 waitresses possibly 3, guy doing shakes, person working the fryer, one girl who just seemed to be on duty but doing nothing to really help anyone. And a reluctance of anyone on staff to step forward when the Manager was putting out fires his staff created. All could see the burgers just sitting there not getting finished, but just walking past and not doing anything to correct the problem.

It is entirely possible that the Manager quit on the spot. He disappeared after the berating and customers began asking for orders that were not finished and then the staff began finishing the burgers. I had to tell them what was on my burger for the cook to finish. I heard the one girl (waitress) tell the cook, "I don't have any idea how to finish orders."

I've never seen a meltdown like that in a restaurant.

14. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

This sounds like a job for BOLT FORCE!

:whistling:

KWalrad and TX OMFS like this.
  15. nursetim

nursetim

Hangry

Gregg702 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  16. G30SF/F-250

:animlol:

Jason D and Sniffler like this.
  17. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I think I would have left and gone to Subway. And I HATE Subway.

nursetim likes this.
  18. G30SF/F-250

I think when the people in front of me left I would have too........

Jason D likes this.
  19. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Yup. It would have been 6" Italian BMT & a Coke for me. Even that is better than drama and a cold burger.

20. ARP

ARP

Well your hind sight is 20/20. My order went in in less than 2 minutes of my arrival, leaving me thinking that all would go quickly, and I sat there at the counter and watched the drama unfold, I had already paid so no reason to leave. Also, my late lunch had been a JimmieJohn Vito with a pickle, so I was sort of all subbed out.