This place is too quiet....

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by hooligan74, Mar 17, 2015.

1. hooligan74

hooligan74

...hasn't anybody PR'd anything lately?

I'll start.

225lbs - PR power clean and jerk last week. Going overhead is a weakness for me. Need to add more pressing into my programming.

2. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

No PRs. No more weights. :-(

3. hooligan74

hooligan74

4. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

Depleted. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. hooligan74

hooligan74

6. BradD

BradD

Good job H74. 225 PC&J is nothing to sneeze at IMO.

I'm at a dead stop, so have nothing to report.

I really need to restart something. I have an unfortunate intersection of injuries that make it hard to figure out what to do. I have a degenerating cervical disc, and have been advised to not DL or squat. I'm not sure if I can go overhead, run, or jump. Those are dubious. My shoulder was hurting, so I couldn't do pullups, pushups, BP, etc. It started hurting summer before last when I was doing some manual labor, and was hurting at recently as three or four months ago. I think it might be OK now.

It stinks getting old, but I guess the other option is to die young!

I have been forming a plan around bentover rows and bench press, but have been too busy to kick-start it. I hope to get it going soon. BP was never my best lift, but I was "OK" at it with a raw 300 at 180.

Later.
    DBD

7. hooligan74

hooligan74

Oof, here's hoping for a speedy recovery on your shoulder, Brad.

Any chance for a second opinion on your lower back? You always read those stories about folks with back issues that their doc says you'll never do XXX again, and 18 mos later they're doing XXX faster/heavier/better than they ever have.

Good luck, my friend!

I need to start focusing more on strength training and not just metcons/Olympic lifting. I'm not as strong as I should be and at 40, I ain't getting any younger...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. BradD

BradD

My neck is the problem. I had four concussions in HS sports and an orthopedic surgeon said they probably facilitated the disc going bad. Over the years, I've had lots of neck pain.

I've seen two surgeons and received opposite opinions. One told me to forget any strength training, running, or anything else that compresses cervical disks. The other said newer research has shown that discs going bad is almost entirely to do with genetics.

When I lift, my left arm and hand numbness increases. I can barely detect any when I don't lift. Numbness is quite un-nerving (LOL) because it indicates a nerve is being compressed. Over a long while, the nerve will probably be damaged which will make that arm atrophy and get weaker. For that reason, I mostly go with the more conservative surgeon's opinion. I am not sure, though, and will probably talk to another at some point.

I also have a congenital fusion at the joint above the one going bad. That probably contributed to the problem and increases the consequence of damaging the one that's going bad. I don't know if I could have a second fusion. There are replacement joints/discs that I might look into. If I don't have an overall degenerative issue with others going bad also, I might be a candidate.

Life has been very difficult for about five years now, due to career and family issues, so I haven't had time or energy to really look into it. Someday.

Later.
    DBD

9. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Several injuries involving neck. Under med advice (due to aneurisms) to not lift weights. I live in an apartment so can't do burpees. :crying:

10. hooligan74

hooligan74

Wow, sorry to hear that.

I agree 100%, nerve compression/damage issues are nothing to mess around with.

Here's hoping for the best possible recovery for you in the future, my friend.

11. hooligan74

hooligan74

Ouch! Sorry to hear it, Green.

Well, the weather's warming up - maybe you'll be able to do burpees outside soon.

12. BradD

BradD

Thank you very much. I'm hoping to address these issues soon. I'm nearing the end of my tenure probationary period (I'm a professor.), and must submit my case about this time next year. It has been a mad dash to publish papers and write proposals.

Hopefully when the smoke clears, I'll be able to re-focus my life, including some physical training.

I hope your training goes well! It's encouraging to hear about progress!

Brad

13. hooligan74

hooligan74

Well, at 40 yrs old, my "progress" is going to be slow and steady, best case.

Tonight the workout is a 15 min EMOM of 3 clean deadlifts, 2 hang power cleans, 1 jerk. I'm hoping for 205 or 215, not sure how tired I'll be at the end of 15 of those complexes.

14. hooligan74

hooligan74

Only made it up to 195 lbs. That second hang power clean in the complex was a killer.

If it had been a 90 second or 120 second interval, maybe....

15. Jakestir

Jakestir

Actually did hit some prs last week in all my power lifts.

325 bench, 475 deadlift, and 435 squat. I'm fairly happy with the numbers. My goal is a 500 lbs pull in the next couple of months. The squat should be better. I'm very happy with the bench. Finally made some big improvements there.

Unfortunately my olympic lifts have gone down the drain. I'm lucky to clean and jerk 245 right now. At one time I was all the way up to 275.

On the bright side in non lifting news I set a pr for my 3 mile time. 20 minutes 38 seconds. Not to bad for a meat head.

hooligan74 likes this.
  16. hooligan74

hooligan74

Good work, Jake!

500 is definitely not far off, my friend. Impressive!

17. hooligan74

hooligan74

I'm starting a new squat program tomorrow that works like this:

Take your current 5 rep max for back squat (or any movement, really), then subtract 80 lbs from that number. Then perform that movement 2x/week for one set of 20 reps. Each time you perform the movement, add 5 lbs. At the end of the 8 week program, you are now performing 20 reps of the movement at the weight that was your previous 5 rep max.

We'll see if I can maintain the increases each iteration!

18. BradD

BradD

19. hooligan74

hooligan74

Well, didn't end up starting until last night.

The first iteration was gross, but not unbearable. I hate to think what the sets 4-5 weeks (8-10 squatting sessions) down the line will be like.

:crying:

20. Jakestir

Jakestir

That sounds nasty. Are you doing any assistance work on those days or are you only squatting?