Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ode to 7.62x39:

The first 7.62x39 I bought was a Norinco 59/66 SKS with a broken side folder polymer stock, broken polymer front sight and broken takedown lever. I had gone to my local gun store almost ten years ago today because a pack of coyotes that had broken into my chicken coop days earlier and killed one of my dogs.
I came into the store with $200 and told the clerk my story, he said the only thing that fits your budget and your needs would be this chinese SKS. It priced at $170 so I decided to purchase it.
After taxes, it was $193 so I was certain I would not afford a box of ammunition judging by the prices on boxes other calibers. Then the clerk said, we have ammo starting at $4.99 a box of 20! I was pleasantly surprised and he offered to sight in the rifle for free under the circumstances.
Flash forward to that very evening, I hear my chickens raising all kinds of ruckus and poked my head out. A pack of roughly a dozen coyotes were trying to dig into my chicken coop as I had reinforced it after the incident.
I grabbed the SKS, racked the charging handle and flicked the safety off as I proceeded to empty a 20rd tapco mag into the group dropping several of them; I was sold on this caliber for the next 12 years.
Dozens of spam cans (and lots of practice) throughout the years in different platforms gave me the proficiency to become a proficient MSR long distance shooter. I used my experience to train others (some of which defended their families successfully),compete in matches and put food on the table.
I have lots of memories from shooting 7.62x39 as a broke college student but it looks like the era of cheap ammo are coming to an end, at least for now. Luckily, we as Americans have choices in our second amendment, so I have other options to pursue.

Sorry for the long post but I had to rant somewhere, I would love to hear other鈥檚 thoughts and opinions on our current ammo situation. Do you think it will improve or get worse? Just last week I saw spam cans of barnaul stacked to the roof for $229 and I shed a single tear thinking things were finally starting to normalize then this mess happens.

Registered
Yes, I remember in the 1990s when $250 would easily buy you a Chinese SKS and 1,000 rounds of CHICOM 7.62x39mm ammo.

I think it was the BATF during the Clinton Administration that started this by banning importation of Chinese (PRC) made 7.62x39mm ammo. Fortuantely a lot of countries manufacture this round including some former Warsaw Pact members now part of NATO. Hopefully ammo from these other countries will start making it into the USA market.

Registered
I remember we had a beater AK and at least 20 75Rd. drums. Got Wolf 123 FMJ delivered to my doorstep for $79/K. Same time Blazer Aluminum 115 was $99/K shipped. The UPS guy came by4-5 times a week. Point of the beater is it would get so red hot you could see it glow a LONG way off. Could feel the heat like 1.5鈥 away.

Registered
Just remember which party removes your rights on a regular basis.
SHOULD be as clear as crystal these strange days to all but the morbidly obtuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Just remember which party removes your rights on a regular basis.
Nixon's on-the-record reply to a question on how he felt about guns: 鈥滸uns are an abomination." Free from fear of gun owners鈥 retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles.

Reagan banned new machine guns. He also said, "I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it.鈥

George H.W. Bush banned all imports of semi automatic rifles in March 1989, and made the ban permanent in July 1989. 鈥淭here鈥檚 no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.鈥

George W. Bush : 鈥淚 did think we ought to extend the assault weapons ban..."

Trump banned bump stocks.

Both parties hate our guns.

Registered
Nixon's on-the-record reply to a question on how he felt about guns: 鈥滸uns are an abomination." Free from fear of gun owners鈥 retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles.

Reagan banned new machine guns. He also said, "I support the Brady bill and I urge the Congress to enact it.鈥

George H.W. Bush banned all imports of semi automatic rifles in March 1989, and made the ban permanent in July 1989. 鈥淭here鈥檚 no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons.鈥

George W. Bush : 鈥淚 did think we ought to extend the assault weapons ban..."

Trump banned bump stocks.

Both parties hate our guns.
Then look at which party actually took your rights away. Next point? The Bush鈥榮 are idiots. No argument there. You do know what happened to Nixon? Reagan was a Kalifornia actor who got shot by some wack job (judged mentally ill) supposedly obsessed with some actress. I don鈥檛 disagree with your position entirely but ask you to look at the facts.
Trump? Who knows which way the wind blows? He did in fact ban bump stocks.
Take a look at the legislation and which party actually acted on restrictions on the 2nd A. Which party right now is drawing up legislation on removing your rights. Get back to us with the facts.

Registered
Sure there are some Republicans that are not gun friendly, but 90% support the Second Amendment. Just as 90% of Democrats would like to go door to door and confiscate guns. Nothing is 100% and if you are supporting Democrats thinking they are supporting your rights you are sorely mistaken.

Registered
Then look at which party actually took your rights away...Get back to us with the facts.
Fact: Reagan took away machine guns.

Fact: Bush I banned imports of semi-auto rifles.

Fact: Bush II was ready to extend the AWB, but a coalition of R and D worked together to deny him the chance.

Fact: Trump banned bump stocks.

Registered

Fact: Bush II was ready to extend the AWB, but a coalition of R and D worked together to deny him the chance.

Fact: it was Clinton that banned the import of semi automatic rifles

I would have to see your supporting evidence on Bush II

ATF administratively banned bump stocks Trump had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered

Again I think you鈥檙e missing the point. Or perhaps you may not see what is and has happened in states controlled by dims.
A rough time line of sweeping changes nationally-1934,1938,1939,1968,1993,1994.
Now take a look at individual states rights and laws enacted by which party on local and statewide basis.
Look at what Bloomberg is and has done with his sneaky manipulation. Look at current laws by states that dims control. Look at what Biden and the dims are up to right now.
There is no defense for the action taken by the POTUS you listed as I stated above.
The point here is very clear. There is one party set on destroying your gun rights and has a history on local, state and federal levels. Capisce?

Registered
There are maybe half a dozen "gun friendly" Democrats on the national level. Most a rabidly anti-Second Amendment. That's a REALITY today, decade after decade of Democrat policy.

Reagan did not "take away" machine guns, only limited future manufacture to existing receivers. Splitting hairs? Maybe, but don't come hear and speak "truth" without wanting to hear it. Bush did ban import of some semi-autos and he was clearly a REPUBLICAN that was wrong on the issue IMO.

Who is the pro-Second Amendment LEADER amongst the Democrats? Yeah...... that's what I thought.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts