This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Csv

Csv

Ah, the dilemmas we face. I still don't see this blowing up here in the USA. I am fairly prepared for some disruption in regular life. However, right now I don't feel the need to buckle down. Maybe there are some statisticians here that can correct me, but I see the chances of getting horribly sick or dying from the Wuhan are slimmer than most anything else in life, at least at this point. Don't get me wrong, I won't be going into an infected area any time soon.

catman71 likes this.
  2. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

Add on boxes of Ramen soup.

larry_minn likes this.

3. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

We just got word this morning that the Chinese government isn't allowing people back to work at some of our Chinese suppliers. If this keeps going at the rate it is, and it will many auto plants are going to start shutting down in less than a month. The trickle down effect is going to be bad.

Cmacc and catman71 like this.
  4. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Depending on the city, the "holiday" has been extended to Feb 9 or 12. Many companies are having their employees work from home these days, but this only works for office workers, not production workers.

the good news is that many companies who depend on China for their supply chain might try new suppliers outside of China or even (aghast) in the USA, and find out they are pleasantly surprised, thus stoping the flow of $$ to China. I'm hoping this will start to happen, especially the point of bringing production back to the USA.

5. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

Fried blackbird ain’t bad! Raccoon isn’t bad if it’s not an old one. Possum is awful.

larry_minn likes this.
  6. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

That's good news in the long term. The amount of time to design a tool and get it production ready is at least 3 months, plus finding a supplier that can take on the work load at a comparable price will raise the prices of everything on a vehicle.

The amount of Chinese components on a Chrysler product is crazy.

mj9mm, spork and czsmithGT like this.
  7. Mr981

Mr981

catman71 and BigBluefish like this.
  8. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

if you look at the real costs, many companies have found that moving production back to the USA reduces their cost. There are so many stupid things Chinese manufacturers do, and one of them is cheating on raw materials. So, container loads of finished product would be scrapped due to inferior raw materials used in the production of these parts (steel, iron, rubber, plastic). And the cost to serious suppliers are increased due to sending their QC engineers to China to watch the process like a hawk and test these outsourced parts before sending to the US. So, the Chinese parts are not as cheap as they appear when you need a quality component.

happyguy, AdamRodgers, spork and 3 others like this.
  9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Lysol.

happyguy and catman71 like this.
  10. Mr981

Mr981

This is the other shoe that will drop in short order. Orders not filled by chinese suppliers because they can't get employees to work. US employees not going to China on work because of health concerns.
    Over time, assembly lines stop because of shortages of critical parts depending on much "just in time" cushion they've built into their inventory levels.
    Companies without alternative suppliers outside of China on critical parts could get really hurt.

11. Clips N Glock

Clips N Glock

I completely agree, one of our tooling engineers was planning on flying out to China this sunday to review their processes for a few parts. Obviously he is not going anymore.

A lot of these parts are injection molded and then chromed, for interior parts of cars. Not exactly something you can just switch suppliers over night.

There is the possibility of taking the mold and shipping it to another supplier which I am sure is being discussed right now.

The inventory director said we have about a month of stock cushion before it becomes a real threat. There are so many suppliers it's hard to say who might not have that large of a cushion.

G26-Has-my-6 likes this.
  12. clancy

clancy

A few years back a local Chinese restaurant owner was charged with animal cruelty. He was stealing dogs and them beating them to death with a baseball bat, while they hung from their hind legs. The idea being the adrenaline caused by the pain would improve the taste. His business closed after it made the papers. The Chinese can be really sick ****s.

[​IMG]

happyguy, jim goose, catman71 and 5 others like this.
  13. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Number of cases reported today in China is 5974 which represents a 32.3% increase over yesterday. Average daily increase stands at 51.2% (for the limited data set that the NHC has provided). Overall trend is a little bit tamer, but still very worrisome.

Again, this is just a trend projection, not scientific. It does not factor in any attempts to contain the spread.

upload_2020-1-29_12-56-18.png

Data taken from daily announcements by China's NHC located here:
    http://en.nhc.gov.cn/2020-01/29/c_76043.htm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  14. flyover

flyover

A bit on one person's take on protecting your self. There is some market jabber in the first part.
    Spoiler she is big on gloves ans wash your hands.

www.yahoo.com/finance/news/how-to-protect-yourself-against-coronavirus-152101500.html

Author: Protect yourself against coronavirus infection with one simple step

Laurie Garrett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning science writer, told Yahoo Finance that despite swelling panic over the spread of coronavirus, people should be “realistic” about the infection and the protections they employ against it.

“One of the smart ways to approach thinking about ‘how do you protect yourself,’ is to ask, well, when somebody here in the office has a common cold, and they’re sneezing all over the place, how do you make yourself not get the cold?” asked Garrett, the author of “The Coming Plague,” a book about emerging deadly diseases.

Rest at link

15. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Whats so tame about a 32.3% increase in one day?

Inyo Tim likes this.
  16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 1.11.56 PM.png

17. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

It's tamer than 51.2% per day. Which is what the average has been for the past couple weeks.

catman71 likes this.
  18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

spork and catman71 like this.
  19. ss30378

ss30378

My question would be is everyone is being accounted for? My fear is that at some point hospitals will start filling up and cases may start going unreported.

catman71 and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  20. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

your answer: a BIG FAT NO

china is the land of confusion and deception, and the king of propaganda.