This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. jacala

jacala

I'll be a bit adventurous!!
    Maybe a bio warfare sample got out accidentally or deliberately(a test) to see what
    would result(re lab not far from Wuhan and Toronto/Canada Chinese lab bio scientists(spies?)
    This virus is very refined(engineered ?)
    Lab animals set loose or delivered to Wuhan markets??
    Drains(water)being sprayed with poisons to kill wild animals who may drink from them ?
    I'm no expert, but who really knows at this stage or will ever know.

2. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I agree, but I do draw two conclusions from the exit of westexas from this thread.

1. Some apparently want their information filtered, rather than judging for themselves. I’d just rather judge bull **** for myself.

2. Civility matters, especially in times of new information and confusion. He’s obviously an intelligent and gentle man, and internet hostility had an exceptionally negative effect in this case. Sadly, we all now pay the price.

Cmacc, clancy, Slackinoff and 7 others like this.

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  4. pntblnk

pntblnk

Update from my colleague located in Suzhou.

The rolling statistical report from government shows sharp increasing on both death toll and infected toll especially from Wuhan yesterday, but the infected number in Wuhan still much lower than HK experts estimation. The situation in Wuhan was in chaos from year beginning to 3 days ago, local government hid truth, announced incorrect information about virus, response slowly, all these lead to mess while virus broke out 10 days ago and more truth disclosed, panic people flow over hospital and caused more cross infection, no enough resources either for doctors or protection and testing materials, citizens lost confidence with local government. Now central government is sending thousands doctors and numerous materials to Wuhan from 3 days ago, the situation is getting stable with more medical resources available, but believe the number of confirmed infected and death will keep growing sharply in next 7-10days with average 2 weeks cycle time from incubation to breakout.

The toll result for other regions like Shanghai and Suzhou should be more close to reality, if not 100% correct. Lots of strict actions have been taking, enough medical resources to handle the infected person, people are easy to get information from various channel through friends and relatives who work in government or hospital if any new infect detected.

Central government has announced CNY extend to Feb 2nd, but Shanghai and Suzhou just announced CNY to Feb 9th ! Many people rushed into supermarket to buy food for storage, so did I J . The next 1-2 weeks will be key, sharp increasing of infected and death toll is almost for sure especially for Wuhan, but the trend and time can help experts to verify the effectiveness of all counter measurements and medical analysis to virus.

Thank you sharing the information. I am very safe, but boring.

Again, Thanks for your kindness

flyover, Inyo Tim, spork and 3 others like this.
  5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Ornery & Irreverent Lifetime Member

In all fairness, the two words sound and are spelled similarly.
    Peace.

20200128_222554.jpg

clancy, Slackinoff, flyover and 4 others like this.
  6. pntblnk

pntblnk

Attached Files:

mj9mm, spork and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  7. MB-G26

"Like" = Thank you! 'Wishing your colleague well.

8. dkf

dkf

Could be commie shenanigans, can never rule that out.

However just take a look at these "wet markets" those savages have over there. Live animals from all over the world mixed in with dead animals, cross contamination galore, not even basic hygiene and little to no refrigeration. Large density of people (as well the animals) breathing on and coming in contact with food. They sit the food and clean the animal carcasses on the same floor they stand on, slaughter animals on, etc. I am surprise more people don't get sick and more disease is not created from places like that.

Countries are going to wait too long to cut off incoming travelers from China, US included.

9. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Not really an argument but more a fact and yes we do live in a free country, at least as long as we can keep the dems out of office.

10. MB-G26

I noted that the itemized-by-country list at https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6 as of 1/28th last update time, nothing was listed for the U.K.

Apparently, as of 1/27, 14:06 hrs (UK time) 55 people has been tested with no positive confirmations yet.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10801702/coronavirus-uk-map-when-hit-where-tests/

Attached Files:

catman71 likes this.
  11. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

Exactly a breeding ground for disease and with little to no real medical care available or affordable especially in poor rural areas.

catman71 and agtman like this.
  12. thewitt

thewitt

They would not be using the same rigorous testing methods that most countries would.

Vaccine would be tested on humans subjected to the virus much earlier than that of typical western medicine.

It would really not surprise me if they found a reasonably vaccine, and of course infected or even killed hundreds more innocents in the process of getting there.

Railsplitter likes this.
  13. thewitt

thewitt

Some people will block an ******* and keep interacting on an Internet forum, others will just leave instead.

catman71 likes this.
  14. thewitt

thewitt

China has been eating like this for 10,000 years. It’s not a new thing.

I’ve eaten things all through Asia that most westerners would never think of as food...

Wet markets have evolved in most countries to move the slaughter of animals to someplace else, however in most of Asia you will still find live poultry being slaughtered only feet away from the product for sale to the customer.

The lack of refrigeration at the market means live animals are actually safer to sell than dead ones from a hygiene perspective.

The sterility of the modern western grocery store, where meat is cut behind the wall and packaged into styrofoam and plastic and not cut in front of you from the quarter beef has blinded most to where food comes from.

Visit a slaughter house or two and wake up... You will see where your “sterile” food comes from as well, and it’s not nearly as simple or clean as that refrigerated shelf at the grocery store.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Maybe some controls can be considered if this fizzles out?

Such that anyone leaving the country be informed that IF there is similar concern in the future you understand you might be kept separate until it can be determined you are not a carrier. Maybe have a buck from every person entering America to fund lodging, food if people coming in are possibly carriers?

16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

That's what happens when freedom is lost.

agtman likes this.
  17. thewitt

thewitt

By all appearances, the Chinese government does not consider the value of an individual life, though they do value the collective.

It took a long time to change the one child policy. Ultimately they did this because the number of men in China was out pacing the number of women - as a girl child would not carry on the family name and they were often discarded...

China’s male population suffered, talent was leaving the country simply because they could not find a wife, and their population growth was slowing - something they initially wanted, but the side effects were too much.

They did not change the policy because they valued the lives of those girl babies... they changed for a broader concert.

They would treat vaccine development the same way, with little value for the individual life, but high value for the results.

Sort of like today’s democrats. The end justifies the means at any cost to an individual.

Cmacc, flyover, Inyo Tim and 6 others like this.
  18. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

The collective they value is their retaining power by any means necessary. Same thing the dems are trying in this country with the Trump impeachment.

catman71 and bdcochran like this.
  19. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Unless they are classifying most of the infected as having mumps, measles, pneumonia or whatever, instead of Corona. We only have what the Chinese Gov says the numbers are. They could be 10x, 20x or 50x worse and we would have no way of knowing.

The unofficial videos coming our of China would indicate that the numbers being reported are far less than reality.

Thankfully people outside of China who are infected are being identified and placed under 1st class medical care ASAP. Probably why the virus has stalled outside of China. The real problem is when the infected overwhelm the system and the hospitals no longer have the staff or supplies to treat the infected. When the antibiotics and IVs are all used up, the hospitals just become warehouses for the sick. And if your in the hospital and not infected, you probably will be exposed and will get infected.

It's easy to deal with 2 people at some hospital and 3 people at another. It's a lot harder to control a outbreak when there are 500 people in the ER sneezing and coughing all over each other. Then you have critical mass. . .

flyover, mj9mm and catman71 like this.
  20. dkf

dkf

Even 100 years ago the population of China was a fraction of what it is now. They were rather isolated, eating local foods and traveling little. Local population exposed to the same things all their lives can build up a tolerance outsiders may not. Now the population is huge, they travel a lot more, have a larger influx of outsiders and get live food from all over the world. If you can't see the difference between 10,000 or even 100 years ago and now you are a fool.

Yeah refrigeration does not matter much when the animal is slaughtered right before the customer takes delivery. The thing is a large amount of the meat ends up being slaughtered and hung without refrigeration until it is sold. I thought that was obvious but apparently not.

Oh I have been in the back and front of several slaughter houses and butcher shops and am well aware how it is done, boy. I have killed and butchered my own meat on many occasions. Even 50 years ago when regulations were more lax the butchering process and packaging was far better than at most of these wet markets over in China. There is a reason regulations and processes have been put into place here in the US.

Maybe if you like the way things are done so much over there, just move there. That way you don't end up exposing others when you get back here.

Batesmotel likes this.