This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

2. Rawah

Rawah

Yes they can!

3. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

Either I've been really lucky or you've been really unlucky, because my experience has been very much the opposite of yours. Just some more data.

Wake_jumper and catman71 like this.
  4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

"CDC: 110 suspected coronavirus cases in US under investigation, number 'will only increase'

Health officials monitoring the coronavirus in the U.S. said there are currently 110 “persons under investigation” across 26 states, noting that the number “will only increase” as the outbreak in China continues. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in an update on Monday that five of the cases in the U.S. tested positive for the novel coronavirus, or 2019-nCoV, and 32 so far had produced negative results.

At this point, the CDC said the virus does appear to have mutated, but described the outbreak as a “rapidly changing situation.” The virus has killed at least 81 people in China and sickened over 2,700 more. The CDC said 16 other international locations had reported a case of the virus. All five cases confirmed in the U.S. have been in those who traveled to Wuhan recently, where officials have traced the outbreak to a live animal and seafood market. Since the first cases were reported in early December, the virus has been found to be transmissible between humans.

The health agency said that on Sunday it updated its travel recommendations for those making their way through China and encouraged travelers to take enhanced precautions which include “avoiding contact with sick people,” and discussing travel plans with a health care provider, especially for those who are older or who have underlying health issues.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-...under-investigation-number-will-only-increase "

spork likes this.
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I found out today our companies office outside of Shanghai will be closed for a full week after this week's holiday week. From what I understand this was basically ordered by the government.

I think it will end up being a lot more than one week.

catman71 and DonGlock26 like this.
  6. spork

spork Caffeinator

This is strange...I listened to the audio from the CDC telebriefing today and I feel certain that she said it hasn't mutated yet. Maybe it is just my crappy hearing. Here is the link to the audio:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/a0127-coronavirus-update.html

Edited to add: I have listened to it three times and I am certain that the speaker stated that the virus extracted from patients here in the U.S. is similar to the earliest sample of the virus obtained by the Chinese and that it has not mutated yet. Maybe Foxnews flubbed on the transcript?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    MB-G26, catman71 and DonGlock26 like this.
  7. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Certainly know how to reassure the Chinese do. They let 5 m leave this city even after learning a nasty contagion was spreading. After all business is business and when you have 1.5 b people whats a few million? The problem is a bunch of those 5 m got on airplanes.

Their health care is a shambles anyway even under the best of times. They are to busy building a Navy to take over Asia and they don't want to waste money protecting a bunch of poor Wuhanian's, or the world. I'm not a fan of the Chi-comms, never have been. I have problems with a Govt. that runs over protestors with tanks and armored vehicles.

8. flyover

flyover

The audio provided makes it sound like it has not mutated. I think that they should be stopping all unnecessary air travel into and out of China.

MB-G26, mj9mm, DonGlock26 and 2 others like this.
  9. spork

spork Caffeinator

I agree. I have watched flightradar24 and can see a lot of planes still departing Wuhan, although most are to other Chinese destinations. Most of the rest are headed to Japan, Singapore, and a few other Asian countries. The last flight to the U.S. landed in Anchorage on Sunday for refueling before going on to the approved airport list. That plane contained 200 U.S. citizens. Apparently, the North Terminal of Ted Stevens International Airport was closed to the public and only that flight had access to that area.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/f...n-china-to-refuel-in-anchorage-567330491.html

Of course, the big question is this: are residents of Wuhan flying to other Chinese airports and then boarding international flights?

Edited to add: The CDC call near the end states that people with "broken interuaries" are still arriving in the states. These include folks from Wuhan who are coming in from other cities.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    flyover, Rotn1 and DonGlock26 like this.
  10. flyover

flyover

From Yahoo:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cdc-splits-china-coronavirus-spread-192632623.html

CDC Split With China on Coronavirus Spread as Possible U.S. Cases Hit 110

As authorities in China scrambled to handle a coronavirus that has killed at least 81 people, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday described a surging potential crisis even as they pushed back on the latest thinking from Beijing about just how easily it spreads.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters that the number of confirmed cases stateside had reached five—and that there had been a total of 110 “persons under investigation” for the virus in 26 states over the past week.

Thirty-two of those people tested negative, and there had been no confirmed person-to-person transmissions inside the country, Messonnier said on Monday.

The confirmed cases in the U.S. include patients in Orange County, California; a man in his 30s in Washington state; a woman in her 60s in Chicago; a passenger who felt ill after flying into Los Angeles International Airport; and a student at Arizona State University who does not live in university housing, the CDC said on Sunday. All of the U.S. cases appeared to involve patients who had recently traveled from Wuhan, China—the epicenter of the deadly virus.

Seventy-three people were still being evaluated for the virus as of Monday.

Rest at link.

catman71, Maine and spork like this.
  11. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

12. Rotn1

Rotn1

Yep,
    The Chinese Govt’s and their people are always truthful, would never cheat and certainly never end run any rules.

spork, bdcochran and catman71 like this.
  13. NoJoy

NoJoy

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

The China numbers on wikipedia just jumped from 2900 to 4200 cases, 82 to 106 dead.

catman71 likes this.
  15. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

67 pages and I haven't seen any concern of this virus infecting their computers. What am I missing?

mj9mm, bdcochran and catman71 like this.
  16. spork

spork Caffeinator

The Google-Fu is greater than the Kung-Flu

17. flyover

flyover

spork likes this.
  18. spork

spork Caffeinator

That is a well-made site. I don't know about how often it updates, but it looks good and it has an intuitive layout. Also, it has a link at the top right that goes to a blog from Johns Hopkins.

Edited to add: The site now displays the time frame for updates under each data box. In many cases, the updates are every few seconds.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    flyover likes this.
  19. flyover

flyover

I trust it more than I do anything coming from Wiki but I may be doing them a disservice.

spork likes this.