This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. SRS

SRS

The real sign to panic is when North Korea starts pulling teeth.

PBCounty likes this.
  2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

Then it will be time to pull the Lobo out of the safe.

NAZG26 and SRS like this.

3. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

DonGlock26 likes this.
  4. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

5. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

6. n2g

n2g

Hi Larry.
    No need to worry-- Of course I would not do anything to get her in trouble! First, she wouldn't share any confidential info with me, and even if she did I certainly wouldn't blab it on the internet. I don't think anyone would read my post that way because I specifically said "general scuttlebutt" (i.e., as opposed to confidential or official sensitive information).

Something like, "None of the people I work with are cancelling any flights with their families," or conversely something like, "Mom, we've cancelled our family trip to xyz because I don't think it's safe to fly until this virus settles down." That type of thing.

Or, "Mom, the strangest thing happened today. I was the only one in the whole place who showed up for work! It's a ghost town." j/k

It's fine if you "rather doubt" she has access to those areas, but my post was accurate. I'm not going to say more about her position other than that she has a doctorate, but then that's probably common there. She's certainly not the type to bend any rules, especially around the bad stuff, LOL.

On another note, Richard Preston, who wrote The Hot Zone that I mentioned in my first post, has another non-fiction book out, about the ebola outbreaks in 1976 and 2014. The Kindle edition is currently the same price as the hardback, so I've ordered the hardback to save for "posterity." It should be here later today and I can't wait to read it. I read the "Look inside" sample on amazon, and once again he weeds out the faint-hearted readers in the first chapter-- ugh. The name of this one is Crisis in the Red Zone.

Y'all probably remember that four ebola patients were treated just up the road in Emory's special isolation unit in 2014, two American missionaries with Samaritan's Purse, one a doctor and the other a worker in the same hospital; then a little later a doctor from Africa and a nurse who had contracted ebola while caring for an ebola patient at a Texas hospital. They all recovered.

I can really get into a topic sometimes. On my old computer I used to have a copy of the isolation protocol they used with those ebola patients, but I no longer have it. They were very strict, as you might imagine. The unit had its own lab and autoclave, and no waste from the unit went into the usual waste stream. The nurses and other hospital personnel (125 in all) involved in the care of the ebola patients had volunteered to do so. I really admire those health care workers.

Here is a link to one of the articles I just read about the Emory unit:

https://www.emory.edu/EMORY_MAGAZINE/issues/2014/autumn/features/ebola/index.html

Sorry for the slight thread diversion, but these are both emerging viruses. Wow, 51 pages and still going!

Hopefully this coronavirus won't mutate into something that requires Emory to crank up that super-max isolation unit again.

7. nursetim

nursetim

Why isn’t this call “The Kung Flu”

astepup, IvanVic, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

I'm pretty sure it has been called that twice in this thread alone. You're not skipping pages, are you?

happyguy, Cmacc, pAZ Ron and 2 others like this.
  9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

We don’t count.

happyguy and Maccabeus like this.
  10. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

11. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

"Demon in The Freezer" is also a good read.

You win the Interwebs today.

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Clorox does in fact go bad.

"According to Clorox, undiluted household bleach has a shelf life of six months to one year from the date of manufacture, after which bleach degrades at a rate of 20% each year until totally degraded to salt and water, and a 1:10 bleach solution has a shelf life of 24 hours."

larry_minn, OGW, Sgt127 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Agonizer

Agonizer .

14. thewitt

thewitt

Unverified, and the source is not trustworthy.

15. Agonizer

Agonizer .

16. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

this was my suspicion
    “400 infected with a 2% mortality rate” is nothing to build a new hospital for

it’s not like the Chinese don’t lie

17. Agonizer

Agonizer .

18. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Google translation:

"Short supply of kits makes it difficult to diagnose new coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan

Original People Reporter People3 days ago

How many patients are suspected?

Now if you look at the medical records of many patients in Wuhan, you will most likely find the word "viral pneumonia" instead of "new coronavirus pneumonia".

Several Wuhan patients told People that they were all diagnosed with "viral pneumonia" in the hospital. Although it can be determined that their lungs are infected with a virus, it is not certain which virus they are infected with, is it a new coronavirus? Is this possible? Have. How to test? difficult....

....He had another CT, and the doctor told him that his lungs had been infected with the virus. He added: "And cannot be ruled out as a new type of coronavirus. " He then asked: "Can't rule out, can it be diagnosed? " The doctor replied, this The hospital cannot be confirmed. According to the doctor, only Wuhan's Hankou Hospital, Jinyintan Hospital, and Wuhan Pulmonary Hospital are qualified to make a diagnosis.

Huang Zijie enquired about the situation of Jinyintan Hospital. It was the first designated hospital in Wuhan to treat patients with pneumonitis infected by a new type of coronavirus. However, the response from Jinyintan Hospital to Huang Zijie was: only accepting confirmed patients-other hospitals cannot be diagnosed, and hospitals with the right to confirm diagnosis are not responsible for confirming diagnosis, only for admission. At such a time when medical resources were extremely tight, such an awkward situation appeared. All kinds of news circulated among patients, but many things didn't have an exact statement. "Who should be diagnosed exactly? How is it diagnosed? Until now, it has been a major problem that has plagued many people and caused panic and confusion among them. "....

....Isolation of suspected patients is also a concern. While queuing for a CT at Wuhan No. 6 Hospital, there was a scene that surprised Huang Zijie—the previous patient came out after completing the CT, and the doctor rushed out and shouted at you, "This is a highly suspected patient, please Evacuation! "Then the CT room was emergency disinfected for an hour. And this highly suspected patient walked away in such a big way, and the patients at the scene felt incredible, "No one stopped him for isolation or other in-depth examination. "

Judging from the current situation, most of the patients diagnosed through the kit are already infected, have a relatively long course of disease, and are relatively sick. A large number of newly-onset patients are defined as "viral pneumonia" or others before they are observed. But both doctors and patients have expressed concern about this matter. As the disease progresses, will this population become a strong base for the diagnosis of new coronavirus pneumonia in the future?

In recent days, there has been a long queue for each of the fever clinics in Wuhan, but patients with limited admission capacity and patients with different conditions are waiting in the same team. According to Huang Zijie's estimation, at the Sixth Hospital of Wuhan on the 21st, it took 40 minutes from the line with the adjusted medicine bag to the injection. It takes 5 hours to do the skin test to pay the fee and take the medicine. While lining up with a high fever, he considered the possibility of cross infection.

23 CCTV evening news, Bai Yansong connection panel members appointed national Jian Wei Gao Fu, presents Wuhan frontline doctors sent messages, questions raised by doctors include: numerous number of patients with fever, can not be treated in a timely manner; patients admitted The inability to perform timely pathogen detection (needs overall coordinated sampling to be sent to the provincial disease control and unified detection), resulting in the existence of cross-infection; medical staff at designated hospitals have not yet been required to centralize room and board, and medical staff normally return home after work. The transmission channels were not cut off.

At the end of the interview, I finally asked Huang Zijie what to do, and he smiled bitterly, "No way." Patients are looking forward to more beds, but he thinks that for young people like him, living or not is of little significance and the treatment is the same. What he was worried about was an unknown thing: whether the virus would mutate, become more powerful, and speed up the course of the disease. "I can't find the answer either. I can only continue to rely on my own resistance. "

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Jazc0sbrp8ozVScWm3ksfQ "

spork likes this.
  19. Agonizer

Agonizer .