This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Less than a thousand sick in a country of some 1.38 BILLION people?
    I'm not going to full panic mode quite yet.

2. Maine

Maine

3. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

It’s not the 56, it’s the threat of it spreading and possible virulence.

Mr Meeseeks, larry_minn and jstrange like this.
  4. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

I guess the "recovery" rate seems to be much lower than the survival. That's what has folks worked up - I think

jstrange likes this.
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

rotorhead1026 and ScarFace88 like this.
  7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

You imagine incorrectly. The death rate is 20 to 30x more than regular influenza. Roughly on par with the 1918 Spanish flu. And obviously there is no vaccine.

8. Maine

Maine

9. thewitt

thewitt

I’m still in Asia, though I left China more than a week ago.

Everyone is taking this very seriously, however there is nothing that looks like panic.

News from inside China is still flowing both through official and unofficial channels.

I have no reason not to believe Chinese officials at this point.

Slackinoff, Rotn1, OGW and 2 others like this.
  10. flyover

flyover

Maine likes this.
  11. Maine

Maine

12. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

We're all familiar with the flu, pretty much everyone has had it at some point, and very few people actually die from the flu if there isn't some other factor involved, such as old age or compromised immune system.
    The deadly strains of CoronaVirus don't have that same type of familiarity, so it causes a bit of a panic. We don't KNOW that it's going to mutate to something benign within a short time like SARS did, and there is potential that it could mutate into something even more deadly than it already is.

So basically, fear of the unknown.

jstrange likes this.
  13. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

This. 20 years of work in the field and I can recite the rainbow passage forward and backward.

14. pntblnk

pntblnk

From a colleague of mine in Suzhou. I was supposed to have made a trip last week to Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam but flight Domestic delays that prevented me from making my international connections 2x so I cancelled the trip. Guess I might have been lucky to stay home! I’ll share additional information as it comes thru. Sounds as if everyone is on a pseudo lock down in their homes.

“Thank you so much for your kind notes, all my family, relatives and friends are in good, the situation of the city and even province(state) I live in is under control, similar for most of cities and provinces except Wuhan city where virus came from and Hunan province which Wuhan belongs to.

The problem is, because of Wuhan local government intentionally hid the information and delayed/slowed the process, hundreds of thousands Wuhan citizens have spread to every corner of China and even overseas before Wuhan city locked down right before lunar new year eve, so more and more cases detected in other regions and believe number growing and will be faster in next one or two weeks considering virus naturals, the panics of citizens in whole country spread faster than virus through various social media.

To cut the virus spread, the simple, brutal and effective way in China you can read through news platforms currently is to call off all gathering events, close public spots, stop public transportation service, delay the opening of schools, etc. People are asked to stay home as much as can, encouraged to greet each other using social media.

The situation may start getting relief from March and turning around April as some experts say, guess same cycle as SARS in 2003. I would suggest you hold your Asia travel at this moment, I will keep updating you situation.

I am living in watching TV, mobile, eating, sleeping, and gaining weight。

Again, thank you for your kindness!”

15. thewitt

thewitt

I was in Suzhou just over a week ago. If the incubation period is 2 weeks, I'm not out of the woods yet.

Just canceled a return trip late February. Even though it's a long way to Wuhan from Suzhou or Shanghai, it's still too close for me.

Several cases have shown up in Malaysia already, but so far they are linked to one case in Singapore, linked directly to a Chinese national from Wuhan.

Everyone over here is watching things very closely.

I have friends in Wuhan who report the lock down is just as reported on the news. The government seems to be very open at the moment, which of course no one in the West will believe because they don't understand the changes in China in the last 2 decades...

Mathemagician1, DonGlock26 and Rotn1 like this.
  16. Pteridine

Pteridine

China's urban population density will likely overwhelm medical facilities and full city quarantines may be the only way for them to stop the spread to other cities. The US and Western Europe should be able to control this much better.

"Preliminary R0 (number showing how contagious / transmissible a pathogen is) for Wuhan nCoV2019 novel coronavirus: 1.4 - 2.5. Here are the figures for other diseases SARSvirus MERS & their case-fatality rates to put things in perspective."

[​IMG]

DonGlock26 likes this.
  17. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So who has gone into “full panic mode?”
    I read some buying masks that planned to be mixing with international travelers. (Many like me upset they waited, now not sure they want to spend $$$ more then stuff was last week, or wait weeks for delivery.
    Looking at what could be done now at little cost that could be good later. I might buy stuff I was going to wait to get.
    If I was in panic mode I would buy the RV I have been considering, another gas tank, another inverter gen set 4500 watts $950. Wife would be driving home tonight....

19. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

OMG, toronto stats haven't refreshed in 10 mins!

toronto has fallen! toronto has fallen!