This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

Thanks for the info!

Westexas likes this.
  2. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Like anything that shares DNA, Survival.

From what little I know or understand, to stop a virus form mutating, you have to alter it's genetic makeup, basically shut off it's ability to exchange information within itself. DNA, by some people's estimates, is intelligent by itself. It you look at how DNA functions, it is biological machinery. To stop it from adapting, you have to break the machine.

The really scary aspect of this is that if they are successful, does that then spread to the DNA of other organisms, like humans, altering our DNA, and we become mutations. Kind of like what happened in the movie "I Am Legend." In attempting to create a cancer cure/vaccine, they ended up causing a human mutation.

mj9mm, inthefrey, larry_minn and 2 others like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

In the limited, not too scientific testing I did with those type and similar paper masks we found particles go around the tiny gaps between the edge of the mask and the skin.

I occasionally work with a photographic chemical that is a known carcinogen in its powdered form but safe when mixed with water. We did some testing of masks using carbon black pigment because it left residue we could see on the masks and residue on our face showed up on cotton swabs.

I keep a surplus Israeli gas mask in the darkroom now.

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I was thinking the same thing. It could be legit or something entirely different.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

This thing is out of control. Someone get me off this planet already...

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Get your ass to Mars (Total Recall, 1990).jpg

DonGlock26 and Westexas like this.
  7. Westexas

Westexas

As long as those viruses are suspended in mucous droplets, those masks will work.

8. Westexas

Westexas

You’re welcome!

serve_and_protect likes this.
  9. Westexas

Westexas

I’m going to hide out here.

10. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

There are a lot of factors at work here. Was it Fit tested to you? Were you clean shaven where the respirator makes contact and forms a seal? Tightened nose clip and straps? Maintained seal integrity the entire time? There’s a bit to it.
    In OSHA’s eyes the half face and disposable respirator with N100 are both protecting you to a factor of 10. A full face, depending on how fit testing is conducted, can be either 10 or up to 50.
    That is to say, 10 times or 50 times cleaner air inside than outside. Layman’s terms, if you’ll allow.
    Better yet may be a PAPR or supplied air hood which can produce up to 1,000 times cleaner air. Finally, you have an SCBA which can be rated up to 10,000 cleaner air. This is why firefighters, first responders and others wear these, especially when they don’t know what they’re up against and don’t have time to find out or another source may be compromised.

Also, “gas mask” is a generic term used in military world. It’s still a respirator. The main difference is that in the industrial world, predominantly the USA, products have to be NIOSH and tested as a system produced by the same manufacturer for all components.
    “Gas Masks” are still respirators, but they are specifically designed to accept a 40mm threaded cartridge. This is a standard across all manufacturers so that in the event of an emergency I can use whoever’s 40mm I can get me hands on. However, not ALL 40mm are good for all applications. Some are CBRN and some are not. You still have to know what you might possibly be up against.

hope this helps!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Not talking about respirators. Talking about the ubiquitous paper masks, some with the aluminum strip over bridge of the nose. I see people wearing them and you can see gaps on the sides. More air goes through the gap than is drawn through the paper.

mj9mm, Tvov and Doc Holliday like this.
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Yup, false sense of security...just like the TSA or gated communities.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Correct.

14. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I understand. I was asking questions and kind of giving you the easy “lay of the land” in the respirator world.
    Even disposable respirators should be trained on, fit tested and ensured for adequacy of the job for the hazard. Can N95 respirators work and be effective against a virus if worn properly? Absolutely! Are they the best choice? Maybe or maybe not. Depends on a lot of factors. Most people fail to understand the hazards, get training and READ the USER INSTRUCTION manual provided.
    If you’re a healthcare provider, would you rather have an N95 that protects you up to 10x or a PAPR system at 1,000x?

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

What blows my mind is seeing paper masked used in industrial situations to filter vapor. Particulates ok. But no use on vapors. Proves some employers are cheapskates.

16. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

upload_2020-1-25_9-31-31.png

n2g, rj1939 and DonGlock26 like this.
  17. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  18. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Clearly you’ve got some industrial experience with respirators. Few quick questions. I’ve got some half masks and P100’s coming. Do I need to shave my beard for a good fit, or can I keep the full beard? Is the medical testing OSHA requires to use them in a workplace really necessary for a healthy male in his 30’s, or is it just red tape? (I thought of hitting the exercise bike hard with a respirator and seeing what happens, maybe borrow a pulse oxymeter).
    How long will P100’s last in an environment with relatively low dust/particles ?

Are there any full face respirators that will accommodate glasses? Right now best plan is transparent face shield and half mask.

All this may seem like overkill LARP’ing, but fortune favors those who get out ahead of a peoblem. If nothing else, the half masks could be game changers for my allergy when bush-hogging come spring time.

19. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

20. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

When I was young and healthy the USAF made me run a couple of hundred yards toting an M-16 and wearing a mask and then qualify with the weapon. They didn't do any testing and nobody fell out.

I would say if you are in good health and don't have any issues breathing then don't waste your money. The bureaucrats live to justify their existence by making up rules.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Mr Meeseeks likes this.