This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

3. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

Dude, seriously. Take this dumb **** to your own thread. It does not belong here as it is waaay off topic.

spork, AdamRodgers and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  4. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Inyo Tim, spork, AdamRodgers and 2 others like this.
  5. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My son was due to go to a convention in San Francisco next month. A lot of the international companies scheduled to be there have pulled out. He is not too worried about the bug at the convention. He worries more about other problems in San Francisco like walking through human waste between the hotel and the conference center. But if the major venders and presenters are not going he sees no reason to go this year. He may not be able to get refunds on anything this late.

6. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

7. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Tinfoil hat thought of the day. Would it be possible to manipulate the genome of this Virus into a hot strain without leaving a trace? Could letter agencies of powerful countries use this crisis as an opportunity to slip highly fatal (and hopefully less contagious) strains of COVID-19 into the mail orbreakfast cereal of rival powers’ leadership?

On a less outrageous note, surely some folks like the KGB (whatever their modern variety is called) will use the disruption caused by this crisis to accomplish some of their goals.

8. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

lots of Asians in the robotics club? I hope they all vacationed in the states for holiday

Inyo Tim and Maccabeus like this.
  9. bdcochran

bdcochran

Elham Sheikhi, a well-known Iranian female footballer who played for the national team, died of the virus at the age of 23, according to a report in Rokna, a news portal. She reportedly died on Wednesday in Qom, after becoming infected last week.

I would doubt that she had just become infected. However, if she only just became infected, it would indicate a mutation. And, if a mutation, this variation could be dealt with like Ebola outbreaks. The report does not and would not contain comments whether her immune system was previously impaired. And, there is no reference to any potential tracking.

AGF0526, Inyo Tim, spork and 3 others like this.
  10. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Please don't give the Democrats more ideas on how to steal the 2020 election.

Cmacc, Inyo Tim, spork and 3 others like this.
  11. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/poli...HhMB5Cjzd9I0nt-JI3dJSkSj-3v4n23AMvV4sigVi-Uis

Washington (CNN)The US Navy has ordered all ships that have visited countries in the Pacific region to effectively self-quarantine and remain at sea for 14 days in order to monitor sailors for any symptoms of coronavirus.

"Out of an abundance of caution, Pacific Fleet is implementing additional mitigations to prevent Sailors from contracting COVID-19, and to monitor Sailors who have traveled to higher-risk areas," US Navy spokesman Lt. James Adams told CNN, using the official name for the virus.

Inyo Tim, spork, flyover and 4 others like this.
  12. Westexas

Westexas

Something like that would come back to bite them in the future.

Besides, Captain Trips seems to be doing a fine job without any help.

AGF0526, Inyo Tim, spork and 3 others like this.
  13. Westexas

Westexas

If she was in good health, it’s possible she wound up with Cytokine Release Syndrome.

It’s also possible she had an immune dysfunction that made her more susceptible to this virus.

If we start seeing more young people dying from this, then we have a problem.

AGF0526, spork, flyover and 1 other person like this.
  14. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

From what I have read, most young healthy people that die from the flu succumb to their own immune system in the form of a Cytokine overdrive.

The one time in my life that I am certain I had the flu, I went from feeling perfectly normal at 4:00 in the afternoon, to feeling like I was going to die by 5:30. Sweating, shaking, every joint in my body screaming, with a fever of almost 103. I was in bed for 4 days straight, putting nothing in my body but gatorade, 7up, and water. It is a Horrible feeling to say the least.

Looking back, I am probably lucky I came out of that with no lasting effects cause my immune system was going to town for a few days.

Inyo Tim, spork, flyover and 2 others like this.
  15. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers "Facts matter, Feeling can lie" DocGKR

I suffer from C.R.S myself. :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

16. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

His particular team has none, as it happens. However, each competition is three teams vs. three teams, not to mention generally sharing space with mobs of people in one venue, so there's plenty of opportunity for sharing viruses with every variety of persons.

The teams don't find out until the turn of the year what the competition course will be and then they spend all January.& February designing and building their robot.

Hopefully, most of the students with family in China skipped the international travel this year to stay and build with their teams. You'd really fall behind to take a week of vacation right before the qualifiers.

spork likes this.
  17. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Anybody else gonna' get one of these copper nose picking things? Supposed to kill germs and prevent colds and flu. I saw it advertised in The Farmer's Almanac, so it's gotta' be legit.

https://www.copperzap.com/

[​IMG]

18. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Sure you did...

;)

astepup, AdamRodgers and Inyo Tim like this.
  19. BMyers

BMyers

Yes, dry copper is known for its ability to kill germs. Although, I would really doubt the claims that this product makes to prevent you from being flu/cold free for years.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  20. Westexas

Westexas

At least 7 Iranian government officials have coronavirus

9:37 p.m.
    Masoumeh Ebtekar, Iran's vice president for women and family affairs, is the latest Iranian government official to contract coronavirus.

At least seven officials in the country have tested positive for the coronavirus, COVID-19. Ebtekar is the highest-ranking woman in Iran's government, and is now quarantined at home, her deputy announced on Thursday. She was photographed on Wednesday during a cabinet meeting, sitting just a few yards away from President Hassan Rouhani.

The other infected officials are Iraj Harirchim, deputy health minister; Mojtaba Zolnour, a Parliament member from Qom and head ...[​IMG]https://theweek.com/speedreads/89880...ve-coronavirus

AdamRodgers, Inyo Tim and flyover like this.