This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Yeah, you can't drop a deadly virus in the middle of 1.4 billion people and not expect to come out of it unscuffed.

2. Westexas

Westexas

A low mortality rate can be significant if the R0 factor is high. This one is in the “1918 pandemic realm.”

I just notified the owner of a ranch we can bug out to if this continues. We can rat hole here for several months or go there.

3. Rotn1

Rotn1

But 2020 is not 1918 from a medical capabilities perspective Or is that already baked in to the calculation?

In regards to the root cause, someone better be learning from this
    This is a national security issue

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  4. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Has there been some kind of break thru in treating a virus I'm not aware of? Other then NyQuil?

I remember when the Dept. was still hauling stiffs in the '80s and we got stuck hauling all these young gay men who had dropped and rotted. We weren't even issued gloves, mask's, or eye protection. Never underestimate the incompetence of Govt., after all they didn't go thru the trouble of getting elected just to get exposed themselves, or their family's.

This thing is going to burn thru humanity like a wild fire and theres no stopping it. Thats why we used to call Feb. "the dieing month". Its a bad month to be old and weak or young and weak.

An extremely contagious pathogen is out in the world and the horse has already bolted.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    mj9mm and Westexas like this.
  5. Westexas

Westexas

Yuan Guoyong: 83% infection rate, the last few days is the last chance to prevent the virus from spreading to Hong Kong

The epidemic of new coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan has continued to spread. The research team of the Department of Microbiology of the University of Hong Kong published an article in the medical journal 'Acupuncture Needles'. Based on a group of 6 cases diagnosed in a 7-person family in Shenzhen, the attack rate of the virus was as high as 83%, and it is proven that people can pass from person to person.

Yuan Guoyong, Chair Professor of the Department of Microbiology of the University of Hong Kong, pointed out that the study showed that the new virus may be highly infectious and worried about the reappearance of SARS. As the new study estimated that the virus incubation period was about 3 to 6 days, he thought that the next few days might be the last chance to block The virus has been brought to Hong Kong or Macau by infected mainland patients.

He also believes that masks should be promoted as soon as possible outside the home, and that hands should be disinfected regularly, so as not to call too late, and hospitals also need to purchase additional masks, protective clothing, and inventory of needed drugs.

He pointed out that Our situation is NOT good. The development of the next 14 days is the key. 'Hong Kong, Macau or any international city can easily become another Wuhan or Hong Kong in 2003 (the outbreak of SARS).'

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...A9%9F%E6%9C%83

6. Rotn1

Rotn1

Certainly progress in treating the symptoms.
    Isn’t it the symptoms that kill you?

7. flyover

flyover

This is starting to read like a Tom Clancy novel. At what time does the President declare a national emergency and begin restricting travel and such? When does WHO and the other health organizations chime in?

Cmacc, larry_minn and mj9mm like this.
  8. B C

B C

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

They have chimed in.

Time will tell when we take more direct action.

Westexas likes this.
  10. Westexas

Westexas

Already “baked in.” The key is the “severity/critical” rate. This ties up a lot of Medical personnel, especially if these patients suffer from a “Cytokine Storm.” During bad
    Flu seasons (like this one), Emergency rooms are already hard pressed to keep up.

Cmacc, n2g and Rotn1 like this.
  11. flyover

flyover

Can we send the entire staff of the New York Times over there? Let them be all inclusive.

12. Rotn1

Rotn1

Thanks

13. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Well they drank water back in 1918 too. And whatever minor advances have been made in hydrating and passing out tylanol has been way offset by a lot more human carriers, as in 8 b compared to 2 b in 1918, as well as the fact that world travel is common place. Ive seen these foreign balloon heads in the INTL terminal butt naked and taking baths out of the bathroom sinks.

The Muslims would stick their feet in the sinks to wash them before prayer. An International terminal at an airport is a horrid virus sink hole. Locking down a city of 11 m? This is something out of a Hollywood movie and I trust the Chinese Govt. even far less then our own. I'd bet the mortality rate is far higher.

You don't lock down major city's of 11 m for the seasonal flu. Good Lord they are building a 1,000 bed Hospital in 7 days.

GlockPride and Westexas like this.
  14. Westexas

Westexas

Just support treatment. Antivirals don’t work on Coronaviruses.

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

1. we have been overdue for an epidemic.
    2. you won't be able to avoid it.
    3. most people will not die.
    4. most people will contract. so, your preps should be along the lines of being deathly ill for a few weeks.
    a. keep everything at home clean and repaired, now.
    b. buy the easy to make meals (canned soups/stews), now.
    c. buy baby bottles. easier to drink from a baby bottle when lying down.
    d. buy your cleaning and routine supplies in advance.
    e. keep hydrated.
    f. get your dental and medical work done, now. my HMO will not let flu patients into the hospitals if it becomes an epidemic.
    g. encourage your relatives to prepare now. A forensic study of an epidemic in England learned that neighbors did not contract from neighbors. they contracted taking care of relatives. a relative would go and take care of a relative and then come down and die.

mj9mm and Westexas like this.
  16. Westexas

Westexas

Originally posted by theforeigner View Post

I tried to find the chinese text on twitter but could not find it, however I found this, BUT I do not know is the translation is correct !!!

EclipseTheSun
    @EclipseTheSun3
    ·
    5 t
    Svarer
    @aniilai
    og
    @telegram
    She says: I'm Jingui, I work for hospital in Wuhan. The government is lying, more than 90,000 people had died in Hubei and throughout the China! The person-to-person base is 1 > 14, meaning one person infects 14. The virus is mutating and spreading explosively.

Here is the you tube address.
    從Telegram上取得的影片 希望大家互相發放出去 讓大家清楚知道疫情
    I don’t know what to think of this. Anyone know Chinese?
    Could be real or fake. It was posted on Avian Flu Talk. Draw your own conclusions.

Cmacc, ss30378, spork and 2 others like this.
  17. Westexas

Westexas

This was on FluTrackers, not Avian Flu Talk. My bad.

18. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

As last I checked, these have not been tested by NIOSH as a respirator. If they still don’t carry a TC# proving their effectiveness, you might want to look into that or choose another option.

-A concerned 3M rep

Cmacc, cougar_ml and Out West like this.
  19. Dragline

Dragline

That’s the first thing that popped up at the top of my screen when I clicked on Netflix today.

20. Westexas

Westexas

In the case of a “Cytokine Storm,” yes.

Rotn1 likes this.