This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Scamp57

Scamp57

So like is it safe to open packages from China?

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery

Leave it on the porch. If you still have the same mailman in a week it's probably fine.

Sgt127, AdamRodgers, Cmacc and 9 others like this.

3. Scamp57

Scamp57

I wonder how many huge crates of merchandise from China does Walmart open each week?

4. Dragline

Dragline

I ordered a Made in China flashlight from Amazon yesterday that’s due to arrive tomorrow, but I expect it’s been a long time since that box has been in China.

5. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

Huh. The EU version of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Taking a hint from the ChiComs (who have the situation well in hand now) and giving us the mushroom trestment.

Seriously? I think COVID 19 has two seasons: 1. In the Wuhan Lab; and 2. Everywhere Else.

I suspect the WHO, EU and the US know that this is now out in the wild, it can't go back in the box, it's going to go everywhere eventually, and it's going to kill off roughly 2% of the Earth's population in the next several years, mostly the elderly and those unfortunate enough to find no room at the inn of their local health care system. And that doesn't even say anything about the economic disruption and social unrest that will come worldwide in the next few months.

How are you going to explain THAT to 7 billion people and expect it to end well?

AdamRodgers, spork, flyover and 2 others like this.
  6. B C

B C

Media hysteria is driving it. We know they certainly don't want a booming market to make Trump look good.

AdamRodgers, catman71 and flyover like this.
  7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That was a fascinating video, saw it a few weeks ago. I need to rewatch it, hard to grasp everything in one viewing.

AdamRodgers and Westexas like this.
  8. Westexas

Westexas

That’s what the military is for.
    Three days of viral mop up.

catman71, flyover and jmontgomery like this.
  9. Westexas

Westexas

Quarantine Houston? A dream come true.

AdamRodgers, NAZG26 and flyover like this.
  10. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Sterilize it with heat first.

nukegif.jpg

11. Dragline

Dragline

I’ve seen several sources including videos from Dr. Campbell posted here, which indicate the virus can survive and be actively transmitted via paper money.
    So some sick guy pays for his grocery store items in cash after coughing and sneezing in his hands. Two customers later another person gets the infected cash back in change.
    Not sure what you are supposed to do, wear gloves or use disinfecting spray on money you get back in change?

MB-G26, AdamRodgers, spork and 3 others like this.
  12. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Former CDC director: A coronavirus pandemic is inevitable. What now?
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/health/coronavirus-pandemic-frieden/index.html

"Covid-19 will become a pandemic. We don't yet know how severe it will be, nor do we know if the virus will spread to all continents, but it's already spreading widely in China, South Korea, Italy, Iran and elsewhere -- and thousands of undetected and infectious patients have been and continue to travel around the world."

AdamRodgers, spork, flyover and 3 others like this.
  13. Fred Florist

Fred Florist

Number of cases increase 10x in roughly 2.5 weeks, according to data. Use that rate to monitor new data, to see if the exponential growth holds.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Before Italy and Iran I thought the international growth was fairly under control. Other than the cruise ship the numbers weren't growing much at all. That's over now I guess.

AdamRodgers, icantpick and catman71 like this.
  15. bdcochran

bdcochran

Reality check and suggestions of the day.
    1. Remember the relative who had lost 12 pounds in one week, had mommy take care of him, and almost went to the hospital? Well he has disregarded the doctor's admonition to stay home, has not started any preps (and will never prep) and mommy is sick. That is the reality in most people's lives.
    2. Understanding that mommy will want to rescue the kids, I went to the institutional distribution center today. Baby food is precooked mixed vegetables crushed by the industrial version of a home potato masher. So, I have been buying precooked veggies on a tremendous sale which I can turn into baby food. A young woman was hysterical. A cashier had directed people into a special line. The woman came up screaming that it was a 10 item or less line. I simply walked away. Imagine when there will be panic buying. I remember after the last major earthquake. You don't want to be out and about when the panic buying sets in.
    3. I went to the Toyota dealer parts to department to buy an oil filter on a super sale. The credit card readers were down. The cashier didn't have change for a $20. I had change in the car. Imagine when shtf!
    4. I went to the El Cheapo Store for an item. Out until next Friday. Item not really needed. Lag times when shtf?
    5. My kid sells items from two warehouses. He visits upwards of 10 pharmacies a day. He comments on low stocks of some items. His sales are up. He knows that he will not be going to the pharmacies when shtf. And neither will you, unless you want to encounter people with the virus.
    6. Be impressed that Mr. Trump asked for $2.5 billion. That works out to about $8 a person for the US population. Doesn't buy you one prescription, too many masks, or a hospital bed when the rates to get in are probably north of $400 a day.

AdamRodgers, spork, catman71 and 3 others like this.
  16. clancy

clancy

2% of 7 billion is only 140,000,000. What's the worry?

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Cash is a good prep to have on hand too. I'm not counting on plastic to be working.

I should have moved even more out of the mutual funds. I was down a lot yesterday alone, will be the same today. Apple alone is down 8% in two days.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    AdamRodgers, spork and catman71 like this.
  18. Chui

Chui

Not knocking you personally by any means but when are WE, AS A NATION, going to realize that the mainstream media are corporate giants and they have an agenda that’s counter to liberty?

Now, EVERYONE should familiarize themselves to the proclamations of the Club of Rome concerning global depopulation. You can find quotes from Henry Kissinger, Zbigniew Brzezinski, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and others that call for massive depopulation.

Tinfoil crap?

It’s a much more cohesive position than “randomness” leading us predictably and methodically in the direction we are hurtling towards.

Lots of depressing releases in the past two hours and NOT ONE of those releases surprise me in the least. In fact, I suspected as much and, in my group of co-workers, I “called it.” Wish like Hell I was wrong. I pray that I still am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Also modeled by Predator-Prey Modeling; in this case Wolf vs. Sheep. Just replace Wolf with COVID-19 and sheep by Homo Sapiens.

http://cormas.cirad.fr/en/applica/WolfSheepPredation.htm

Back in my Control Systems Engineering days.

AdamRodgers, flyover and Westexas like this.
  20. shadowlands

shadowlands

Yes, do it! Then I can miss my brother-in-law's wedding, for I'll be stuck like Chuck!

AdamRodgers and Westexas like this.