This new coronavirus epidemic is starting to heat up

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cowboy1964, Jan 22, 2020.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Oh... DUH.... One of those things are so obvious in hindsight. Thanks.

Cmacc, happyguy and Westexas like this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

3. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

[​IMG]

I think it may be time to suspend air travel between the US and China.

4. willie_pete

I agree; that's a nasty looking map. An American teacher teaching in the city of Wuhan said the city is locked up, but the locked up is pretty porous and people are getting out this morning on CBS. His school was shutdown so he was just sitting in his apartment where he said the city was eerily quiet.

5. Westexas

Westexas

A lot of the information comes from Xinhua News service. Some from Boxun and other sources.

Out West likes this.
  6. Westexas

Westexas

That had me perplexed as well.

happyguy likes this.
  7. Westexas

Westexas

Well, they do have that Bio research facility in Wuhan. They study Coronaviruses.

8. willie_pete

That was my tongue in cheek reference in my post #422

flyover and happyguy like this.
  9. astepup

astepup

I do realize this event has some very bad potential yet at the same time I'm thinking six months from now nobody will even remember it happened. I hope I'm right.

GlockPride, flyover, Tvov and 3 others like this.
  10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

That's true of the regular flu too, but in this case the mortality rate is like 20x higher than the regular flu. Plus through in the potential for mutations. Plus no vaccine.

12. spork

spork Caffeinator

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. I called my mother up (she lives in a different part of the country) and advised her about the dangers and prompted her to take additional precautions, including advice on picking up some N95 masks. I felt like chicken little, but at the same time, she falls in a category of folks who would be the most vulnerable if this sickness reached her area. I guess the lesson is to err on the side of caution.

mj9mm, Westexas and happyguy like this.
  13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

Another thank you to Westexas for taking the time to share his expertise.

larry_minn, n2g, Boundertom and 9 others like this.
  14. Westexas

Westexas

Watching the news. 10 suspected cases in the U.S.
    10 Chinese cities under quarantine. That’s 30 million people. Video of Emergency rooms being overwhelmed.

The city of Wuhan is almost at a standstill. Eerily quiet.

I’m going to start surfing disease websites again. Stay tuned.

pAZ Ron, orangejeep06 and BilboTN like this.
  15. Westexas

Westexas

That will happen here if it mutates back to a benign strain (like SARS did). However, I don’t think the Chinese will. It’s turning into a nightmare for them.

flyover and happyguy like this.
  16. Westexas

Westexas

We ordered 2 SleeBas N99 reusable masks off Amazon.

Boundertom, spork and willie_pete like this.
  17. Westexas

Westexas

[​IMG]
    tetano
    Editor, Senior Moderator

Today, 03:36 AM
    China extends travel ban in race to halt coronavirus outbreak

China has extended a public transport shutdown to 12 cities, affecting more than 36m people as authorities race to halt the spread of a deadly virus that has alarmed governments around the world. As of mid-afternoon on Friday, 26 people had died and 881 had confirmed infections that started in the central city of Wuhan, according to Chinese state television. There were another 1,073 suspected cases of the Sars-like coronavirus in 20 provinces.

https://www.ft.com/content/1993db1c-...a-bae547046735

18. willie_pete

Just placed an order; be here Monday.

I have terrible allergy issues and the pine trees down here are already screwing each other with the warm weather. There is a river of yellow pollen on my back porch on heavy humidity days. I'm in agony. If the virus turns out to be a flash in the pan I can always use them when I am outside mowing.

19. Westexas

Westexas

Today, 06:54 AM
    Source: http://www.kaixian.tv/gd/2020/0124/263113.html
    Fever cough is not the only first symptom of pneumonia due to a new coronavirus infection
    2020-01-24 19:45:50 Source: Xinhua News Agency

研究 Expert research by Wuhan University People's Hospital found that after infection with new type of coronavirus pneumonia, patients do not necessarily show symptoms of fever and respiratory system first, and there are also symptoms of digestive system, nervous system, cardiovascular system, ophthalmology and so on.

Wuhan University People's Hospital released on January 24th "The first symptoms of non-respiratory system are highly valued-identification and protection of patients with new type of coronavirus pneumonia (2019-nCOV)", reminding medical staff and the public to be highly vigilant about non-respiratory symptoms The first symptom of new pneumonia.

The "Notice on the Issuance of a New Coronary Virus Pneumonia Diagnosis and Treatment Plan (Trial Implementation)" issued by the authoritative department recently pointed out that the clinical manifestations of new coronavirus pneumonia are mainly manifested by fever, fatigue, and dry cough. In the multidisciplinary department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Gastroenterology, People's Hospital of Wuhan University, many cases of "atypical" cases have been discovered during the diagnosis and treatment of new pneumonia.

于 Professor Yu Honggang, director of Department of Gastroenterology, People's Hospital of Wuhan University, introduced an "atypical" case. A 45-year-old man went to the outpatient department of gastroenterology for 3 days due to diarrhea. The doctor repeatedly asked the medical history to confirm that he had a history of exposure to the new coronavirus pneumonia, but no obvious fever and related respiratory symptoms. Thorough CT was performed after the consultation between the doctor and the patient. The results showed multiple sheet-like ground glass-like shadows in both lungs, and a new coronavirus nucleic acid test in the throat swab was positive, and the diagnosis was finally confirmed.

Professor Chen Guozhong, one of the study moderators and director of the Department of Respiratory and Critical I, Wuhan University People's Hospital, introduced that in many clinical cases, the patient did not have typical respiratory symptoms such as fever and cough at the time of consultation, and only the first symptoms of digestive system symptoms: Such as mild appetite, fatigue, poor mentality, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, etc .; first manifestations of neurological symptoms such as headache; first manifestations of cardiovascular system symptoms such as palpitation, chest tightness, etc .; first manifestations of ophthalmic symptoms such as conjunctivitis ; Only mild sore limbs or lower back muscles.

Experts reminded that the above-mentioned patients with non-respiratory system as the first performance are easy to go to relevant departments for treatment, especially in gastroenterology. The lack of obvious specific clinical manifestations increases the difficulty of diagnosis, easily leads to missed diagnosis or misdiagnosis, and increases the chance of infection. Medical staff must be alert to patients with poor appetite, fatigue, muscle soreness (including mild soreness), and mental disorders, and make timely investigations. Such "atypical" patients need to strengthen self-isolation, and medical staff should also strengthen self-protection

pAZ Ron, Cmacc, orangejeep06 and 3 others like this.
  20. willie_pete

Well, that makes it a bit more problematic.

Cmacc, flyover, BigBluefish and 2 others like this.